PDA

View Full Version : A Glock 23 - What Parts to Replace?

offroad_nomad
04-05-10, 13:25
I purchased my much beloved Glock 23 used at a local gun show back in 1995. It’s showing its age with the softening of some edges, fading bluing, dings and scratches. These exterior cosmetic issues are of no concern, what I’d like to know is what should I do internally?

The G23 is still in its same stock form, with no modifications or replaced parts. Given that it’s 15+ years old with 1000s of rounds out the barrel, what parts should I consider for replacing, refurbishing or “updating?” Thanks.

M4arc
04-05-10, 13:35
I don't know what 1000s of rounds means to you. Does it mean over 10K or several thousand? Even if its several thousand I don't think it wouldn't hurt to replace the following springs;

Recoil spring
trigger spring
slide lock spring
extractor spring
Firing pin spring
Firing pin safety spring

offroad_nomad
04-05-10, 13:48
My bad, I've got approx. 5000-6000 rounds through it and I'm not sure how many were shot before I purchased it.

I don't know what 1000s of rounds means to you. Does it mean over 10K or several thousand? Even if its several thousand I don't think it wouldn't hurt to replace the following springs;

Recoil spring
trigger spring
slide lock spring
extractor spring
Firing pin spring
Firing pin safety spring

John_Wayne777
04-05-10, 14:09
You live in Fairfax, right? Take your new blaster to Virginia Arms and let the nice people there go over it and make suggestions on what, if anything, should be replaced. They have a very competent staff there (especially Robb) that can get you all fixed up.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-05-10, 14:22
To be honest, don't worry about it and buy more ammo.

GermanSynergy
04-05-10, 15:03
You live in Fairfax, right? Take your new blaster to Virginia Arms and let the nice people there go over it and make suggestions on what, if anything, should be replaced. They have a very competent staff there (especially Robb) that can get you all fixed up.

Spot on. VA Arms has the most competent and knowledgable staff out there, and I've lived/dealt with gun stores in 4 states. These guys are top flight and will take care of you.

Wayne Dobbs
04-05-10, 15:13
Per the above advice, replace all the springs and I would also replace all three pins while you're at it. G22s and G23s tend to be very hard on locking blocks, so take a hard look at that component. I've seen several of those locking blocks that were broken in two inside the frame and that fact was not known until the detail strip and inspection.

Other than that, keep on shootin'!

WD

M4arc
04-05-10, 16:25
My bad, I've got approx. 5000-6000 rounds through it and I'm not sure how many were shot before I purchased it.

Is this your everyday carry gun? If so I'd do a little TLC on it and order the springs from Lone Wolf Dist or Brownells and replace them after you give it a good cleaning and inspection. Take a look at the extractor and make sure it's in good working order and replace as necessary. Replacing parts is easy enough. Even if you've never done it there are plenty of videos on youtube.com and glockfaq.com to walk you through the entire process.

If you're not comfortable then follow JW_777's advice and have GotM4 look at it.

If its not your EDC then buy more ammo and continue to shoot it :)

skyugo
04-05-10, 19:25
i do my trigger spring and guide rod/recoil spring assembly every 3k.

i'm at like 7k rihgt now.. i'm gonna order up all the springs when i get a chance.

recoil spring on the 40's is pretty critical. they're only 5 bucks too. :)

FailureDrill-P099
04-05-10, 19:46

Recoil spring
trigger spring
slide lock spring
extractor spring
Firing pin spring
Firing pin safety spring

M4arc is correct go with this.

Most important you must replace the slide lock spring. Glock suggested this replacement on older models several years ago with an improved spring that was thicker. Since all these parts are very inexpensive replace all. I like the smooth trigger on the full size models so I would replace the trigger bar with G22 trigger bar.

offroad_nomad
04-05-10, 20:48
Thanks for all the input.

Oh, that's my plan. Robb has worked on my SBR and I wanted to educate myself before visiting them regarding the G23.