PDA

View Full Version : HK P30's and HK45's: Where do my thumbs go?

RAM Engineer
04-05-10, 16:11
Disclaimer: I've never actually shot either of these pistols, but only handled them at the fun store.

I've been considering picking up one or both of the subject pistols to try out (I don't know anyone who already owns one I could try). I'm normally a Glock guy and I have to slightly modify my grip on Glocks so I don't hit the slide release with my normal grip.

This problem seems amplified on the HKs. I shoot thumbs forward and gripping the guns in the store, I couldn't see that there was anywhere my thumbs could rest agains the left side of the gun that they wouldn't be riding the slide release lever.

I know there are several very HK-experienced folks on here, so I was wondering if there were any HK-grip-specific tips you guys could pass on, so that I could have a headstart in making this platform work for me.

If I get one, it will hopefully be a LEM-variant with no safety levers, since that's closest to what I've been using with the Glocks.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

CyberM4
04-05-10, 16:25
My hand must be the right size for my HK45. When I grip the handle my thumb touches my index finger on my right hand. So I have no problem with this grip. I'm under the slide release. All I have too do is move my thumb to hit the slide release when I need to change mags.

gtmtnbiker98
04-05-10, 17:36
I own a total of five P30s and the HK 45 and 45c and can tell you, the P30 requires a grip adjustment. I also use the thumbs forward grip and it took me awhile to get accustomed to the extended slide release. As for the HK45 and HK45c, the slide release is not as long and I rest my thumb on the safety, just like a 1911, no issues. Some report decocking using this grip, but I have yet to witness it myself.

John_Wayne777
04-05-10, 17:45
It is going to require a combination of modifying your usual grip to fit the requirements of the weapon and tweaking the grip configuration to achieve the grip that gives you the best results. When I first shot Todd's test P30 my grip deactivated the slide lock as well. After less than 1,000 rounds total through the gun over a few range sessions I had it pretty much licked. I ran the SOM class with the test gun (Todd let me shoot it...probably why it broke. :D) and experienced only one failure to lock back during the entire day's course.

It seems like a pain at first, but with relatively minor adjustments you can conquer the issue on the P30. I never could conquer the issue on Sigs.

Kool Aid
04-05-10, 17:49
My thumb tends to ride the slide release on my V3 P30, and the slide frequently fails to lock back because of it. I ride the safety lever on my V1 HK45, which keeps my thumb away from the slide release lever. Its slide always locks back. I have decocked my HK45 while sloppily swiping the safety on a few rare occaisions, but its nothing worth crying about. It has only happened on very hasty draws and the DA pull was barely noticed.

trio
04-05-10, 18:05
i have very big hands, and really long thumbs, and have this problem with H&Ks and Sigs...

my left hand (weak side) thumb was always forward of the slide stop

my solution with my right thumb was to remove it from the side of the gun and instead put it on the back of my left thumb, if that makes any sense

gtmtnbiker98
04-05-10, 18:09
I also forgot to add, you may try adding the medium or large side grip insert to assist with any slide lock issues. Todd did this I believe.

RAM Engineer
04-05-10, 20:23
Thanks for all the tips guys. Any pics would be appreciated too.

Since I have all you HK guys in one place, can any HK P30 be converted to any variant (including the P30S variants)?

gtmtnbiker98
04-05-10, 20:52
Thanks for all the tips guys. Any pics would be appreciated too.

Since I have all you HK guys in one place, can any HK P30 be converted to any variant (including the P30S variants)?

HK will say no, but a V3 can be made an LEM but the decocker brake pad will remain. Some have done it on HKPro. Best to buy the variant you want.

SmokeJumper
04-05-10, 23:47
I shoot my HK45C pretty much like a 1911, the same goes for my USP 45C as well. I've not had any problems decocking the pistol with the safety with my thumb just above or on it. Not sure about the P30, but I'm gonna find out, after Todd Green's extensive testing I'm gonna get one in .40 and with the external safety, I think.

Mjolnir
04-06-10, 09:23
Disclaimer: I've never actually shot either of these pistols, but only handled them at the fun store.

I've been considering picking up one or both of the subject pistols to try out (I don't know anyone who already owns one I could try). I'm normally a Glock guy and I have to slightly modify my grip on Glocks so I don't hit the slide release with my normal grip.

This problem seems amplified on the HKs. I shoot thumbs forward and gripping the guns in the store, I couldn't see that there was anywhere my thumbs could rest agains the left side of the gun that they wouldn't be riding the slide release lever.

I know there are several very HK-experienced folks on here, so I was wondering if there were any HK-grip-specific tips you guys could pass on, so that I could have a headstart in making this platform work for me.

If I get one, it will hopefully be a LEM-variant with no safety levers, since that's closest to what I've been using with the Glocks.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Just like with a 1911... thumbs parallel with the barrel. Just like with any other pistol for me.

newyork
04-06-10, 09:49
I have small hands and the placement of the safety killed me. It didnt work for me. I switched to 5.5 LB LEM with no safety and couldnt be happier. Thumbs forward like I shoot 1911s is perfect without the safety/decocker.

Pappabear
04-06-10, 23:57
I have P30L and HK45. P30L, First time out I hit the slide release several times, after that-no mas. HK45, run like 1911 with no issues.

I hear there is an issue with some people pinch their finger somehow on the mag release. Not me though, but hear it happens?

Great guns.

HK45
04-07-10, 10:19
I shoot high thumbs snugged up as high as possible and have no issues with the HK 45 or P30 but with the P30L I do lock the slide back. I know, it makes no sense since I don't do it with the P30. I need to get a LEM trigger on the 45 so I can get that thumb safety out of the way.