PDA

View Full Version : WTF? "2 injured when gun goes off in car"

Oscar 319
04-05-10, 16:43
The 4 rules of firearms safety;

1- All Guns Are Always Loaded!
2- Finger Off The Trigger Until Ready To Fire!
3- Never Let The Muzzle Cover Anything (or cover the muzzle) You Are Not Willing To Destroy! Especially your hand!
4- Be Sure Of Your Target, And What's Beyond It! The driver of the vehicle you are in makes a poor back stop.

TREMONTON -- Two people were injured when a gun went off inside their vehicle near the Utah-Idaho border.

The driver, 23-year-old Benjamin Baugh of American Fork, is at Bear River Valley Hospital in Tremonton. We understand he is undergoing surgery. The front seat passenger, 26-year-old Sterling Glines of Hereford, Ariz., was driven by his parent to a hospital in Salt Lake City. Devin Belnap, 22, and Mark Dunn, 23, were not hurt.

The four men, who are students at Brigham Young University-Idaho, were traveling south on Interstate 15 around noon, on their way to Salt Lake City for General Conference.

When they were near the town of Portage, the highway patrol says Glines had the pistol. He took the magazine out and showed it to the other passengers. They looked at it and gave it back to him.

Cpl. John McMahon, with the Utah Highway Patrol, explained, "He replaced the magazine in the gun and slid the slide forward, which chambered around into the barrel of the gun. The driver then asked him a question about the safety issues of the glock; one of which is if you move the slide of the gun backwards it disengages the trigger and the gun doesn't fire. The passenger, unfortunately, wanted to show this safety issue and didn't disengage the slide far enough."

The highway patrol says Glines then pulled the trigger and the gun went off. The bullet went through his hand and hit the driver in the forearm. Part of the bullet lodged in the driver's forearm, but also exited and hit the driver side door and shattered the window.

Baugh was able to safely pull the car over safely and called 911. The highway patrol says Glines legally owned the gun and had a concealed weapon permit, but they say he did not follow the number one rule, which investigators say is to always treat the gun as if it's loaded. The highway patrol is still investigating this case, and they say charges could possibly be filed.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10248669

It looks like he was trying to demonstrate how the handgun would not fire when it was out of battery.....with a loaded Glock 40! :eek: What an idiot.

madisonsfinest
04-05-10, 17:00
How about always point the gun in a safe direction. Through his hand and the drivers arm!? Yeah let me pull the trigger with my hand in front of the barrel pointed towards the driver!

Irish
04-05-10, 17:09
Hopefully they learned their lesson and will promote gun safety to everyone they encounter with firearms from here on out.

Rider79
04-05-10, 17:17
It looks like he was trying to demonstrate how the handgun would not fire when it was out of battery.....with a loaded Glock 40!

"I'm the only one in this car who's qualified to handle this weapon."

bkb0000
04-05-10, 17:44
:eek::eek:

this is even dumber than the do-you-trust-me game..

astonishing, on so many levels.. i have to wonder if they aren't totally lying about how it happened. but if they are, then they'd be covering up for something STUPIDER?

Business_Casual
04-05-10, 17:51
Does he know littlelebowski?

John_Wayne777
04-05-10, 18:07
^
|
|

Wrong. Funny, but wrong.

I was actually thinking about LL's story as well. I've come to the conclusion that a car is a really bad place to be screwing around with firearms given rule 1 issues, and that if your name is not Larry Vickers or Ken Hackathorn I don't want you handling guns while I'm in the car with you.

Buckaroo
04-05-10, 23:56
^
|
|

Wrong. Funny, but wrong.

I was actually thinking about LL's story as well. I've come to the conclusion that a car is a really bad place to be screwing around with firearms given rule 1 issues, and that if your name is not Larry Vickers or Ken Hackathorn I don't want you handling guns while I'm in the car with you.

Amen! Leave the damn guns in their case/holsters while in the car unless you have a threat to deal with (no, not the guy who cut you off in traffic).

Stupid Hurts!

Buckaroo

F_G
04-06-10, 10:13
That's one way to check proper operation of the disconnector. Instant feedback, I like it. :eek:

texag
04-06-10, 10:30
Does it irk anyone else that they the title says the gun "went off"? The gun did not just up and discharge by itself, some dumbass pulled the trigger.

Business_Casual
04-06-10, 10:46
Does it irk anyone else that they the title says the gun "went off"? The gun did not just up and discharge by itself, some dumbass pulled the trigger.

In Obama's America, we aren't responsible for anything anymore. If you want someone to pay your mortgage, fill your GM/Chrysler with gas or entitle you to health care, it will be done. If you have an evil gun and it "goes off" much like Murray Povich on a wayward baby daddy, it is not a human's fault.

The only people responsible for something are the evil rich who steal from the poor, in a scheme not vastly different from 1) underpants 2) something 3) get rich.

Personally, I'm not sure how you get rich taking money from people who don't have any, but then I didn't go to Harvard and then run for office.

B_C

rifleman2000
04-06-10, 10:56
In Obama's America, we aren't responsible for anything anymore. If you want someone to pay your mortgage, fill your GM/Chrysler with gas or entitle you to health care, it will be done. If you have an evil gun and it "goes off" much like Murray Povich on a wayward baby daddy, it is not a human's fault.

The only people responsible for something are the evil rich who steal from the poor, in a scheme not vastly different from 1) underpants 2) something 3) get rich.

Personally, I'm not sure how you get rich taking money from people who don't have any, but then I didn't go to Harvard and then run for office.

B_C

I think the quote is more or less a product of the media's belief that 'guns go off' of their own accord. Part of the personification of guns as evil beings, as opposed to tools.

Business_Casual
04-06-10, 11:00
Is rifleman2000's world free of satire, then?

B_C

rifleman2000
04-06-10, 12:04
Is rifleman2000's world free of satire, then?

B_C

None at all.

In Obama's America, we aren't responsible for anything anymore. If you want someone to laugh at your satire, fill your GM/Chrysler with gas or entitle you to health care, it will be done. If you have no humor and it "fails to recognize satire" much like Murray Povich on a wayward baby daddy, it is not a human's fault.

The only people responsible for something are the evil posters who quote from the poor, in a scheme not vastly different from 1) underpants 2) something 3) get banned.

Personally, I'm not sure how you get cool busting on people who don't have any satire, but then I didn't go to Harvard and then post satire.

Business_Casual
04-06-10, 13:49
OK, good to know. Thank you.

B_C

CarlosDJackal
04-06-10, 14:14
"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump :rolleyes:

The_War_Wagon
04-06-10, 20:32
The four men, who are students at Brigham Young University-Idaho...

Bitter clingers and their guns... :p

skyugo
04-06-10, 21:58
man.. you gotta break at least 2 of those rules to hurt somone with a gun. looks like he broke all 4 :o