PDA

View Full Version : FailZero Upper VS. MUR1

No Bananas
04-05-10, 18:22
For my next build, I'm wanting to upgrade a little for an upper. The VLTOR MUR is strong, and as I'm told, it will flex less and provide better accuracy, particularly out far. I like everything that I'm reading about FailZero experiences. I just ordered one of their BCGs. I like the cleaning less part:D. The FailZero upper can be obtained in black color, and it's cheaper than the VLTOR. This rifle will be a bit of everything rifle, not shooting more than 300 yds., and most shooting < 200 yds with a scope of 1-4-6 power. I want it to be tough.

No Bananas
04-06-10, 08:18
Bump:D

Tspeis
04-06-10, 10:56
If you want both, why not send the MUR upper to Failzero to have it coated?

Tspeis

Fontaine
04-06-10, 11:07
This rifle will be a bit of everything rifle, not shooting more than 300 yds., and most shooting < 200 yds with a scope of 1-4-6 power.

For this reason i'd exclude the Vltor. The MUR is heavy and expensive... and if you're not building a long range AR, it's not worth it IMHO.

Are you going to be running a suppressor at all? If not, then excluse the FailZero and just get a standard M4 upper.

I really don't see the point of FailZero coatings unless

1. You use a can
2. Run your weapon really, really, really hard
3. You're extremely lazy and rich.

No Bananas
04-06-10, 11:11
Tspeais, This is now on FailZero's site:

"NOTE: We are NO LONGER coating individual firearms. Due to our increasing production volume we chose to discontinue the refurbishment service of our business. We did not want to get in a position where our service could not meet your needs with regard to price and turn time. Thank you for your interest in our technology and I hope you enjoy our FailZero AR15, M16/4, and 1911 kits."

No Bananas
04-07-10, 10:49
Anybody actually have the FZ upper? I don't think I've actually bumped into anyone who has...except amybe Grant, and I'm not sure that he's tried his yet. I know they sell it w/ the stabdard grey finish of the NiB, or it comes in black. I'll bet that black finish will probably scratch off here or ther...not that looks are a big thing but it's a consideration if it would eventually need a refinish.

87GN
04-07-10, 11:28
For this reason i'd exclude the Vltor. The MUR is heavy and expensive... and if you're not building a long range AR, it's not worth it IMHO.

what?

Heavy?

My lightweight AR has a MUR and it's under 6 pounds...

The MUR has other benefits as well, especially for higher volume shooting with stresses on the forend.

04-07-10, 13:30
I should have weighed my MUR-1A when it was stripped but that sucker was light. I can't remember where I read it (maybe MilitaryMorons) but the MUR should weigh around the 9.5 oz range and even less with the non forward assist model.