PDA

View Full Version : Armalite AR15

MistWolf
04-05-10, 19:39
Found a used Armalite AR15 for $1125. The barrel is 16" and I think a heavy profile. Mid-length gas system. No rails, CAR type stock, detachable handle, detachable front sight, bayonet lug. Couple of extra magazines and a hardcase. Looks new with a minor scratch or two. Looks like a good solid basic carbine and with the exception of the grip and stock, it's what I'd build. I don't know what twist rate it has. Is it worth $1125? Owner says he's only put 60 rounds through it. It's factory built. There is a little daylight between the upper & lower where they meet at the curve at the rear

mark5pt56
04-05-10, 19:42
that's way high in my opinion. Full retail is cheaper, less the rear sight and a couple mags.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A4CBA2K&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=8e8e5de6-5022-483e-812b-822e58014822

Kissel
04-05-10, 19:51
Buy the gun, not the story.
ArmaLite is OK but for only a few dollars more you can get a significantly better weapon. You can build a superior BCM midlength for the same money.

scottryan
04-05-10, 20:00
Found a used Armalite AR15 for $1125. The barrel is 16" and I think a heavy profile. Mid-length gas system. No rails, CAR type stock, detachable handle, detachable front sight, bayonet lug. Couple of extra magazines and a hardcase. Looks new with a minor scratch or two. Looks like a good solid basic carbine and with the exception of the grip and stock, it's what I'd build. I don't know what twist rate it has. Is it worth $1125? Owner says he's only put 60 rounds through it. It's factory built. There is a little daylight between the upper & lower where they meet at the curve at the rear

You can find a lightly used to new Colt for that money.

Than gun should be selling for $800

Armalite is lower than Bushmaster but better than DPMS.

SHIVAN
04-05-10, 20:30
Is it worth $1125?

No way. COLT 6920 is in that neighborhood, and I like ArmaLite.

SHIVAN
04-05-10, 20:35
Armalite is lower than Bushmaster but better than...

Depends on who is analyzing the subjective criteria. To me, MP batch testing means that more bolts are going out that haven't been tested than have, so I shouldn't count on getting one that was properly tested. They are both using a mix of barrel steel for different batches and runs. Everything else like commercial receiver extensions and YHM rails just wash out to "they make a great canvas" at the right price.

$800 sounds about right for that which is described for the ArmaLite.

5pins
04-05-10, 20:45
$1125 is way over priced. You could buy or build better for less.

ras61541
04-05-10, 22:03
I paid that for a brand new Armalite with a rail. While it is a great rifle and I have had zero issues I don't think I would pay that for a used one when I could find something new for the same price.

As far as Armalite being inferior, I don't think you could go wrong buying one. I have had zero issues with mine, and I have not heard of any issues with them. I have put thousands of rounds through mine and ran it through a 32 hour rifle course. It functions flawlessly and has withstood quite a bit of abuse.

That being said I still think that price is a little high.

lethal dose
04-05-10, 22:29
Grant is selling complete Daniel Defense lowers for under $400. LMT upper is $400. Bcg and ch are $150. M4 handguards are $20. Rear buis is $75. Way less and far superior.

Quentin
04-06-10, 01:22
I built almost the same rifle last year using the ArmaLite $500 U15A4CB complete upper on a S&W M&P lower, the ArmaLite gas block sight and a used Bushmaster carry handle (which is 0.04" low and compensates for the front sight being that low too). Throw in the sling and two mags and I was maybe at $850. Of course I don't have the ArmaLite two stage trigger but that's not worth $300.

Otherwise it should be a fine rifle, mine is. Definitely talk him down at least $250 or I think it's time to get something else for that price.

Contrary to what was said above, ArmaLite scores higher on "The Chart" than Bushmaster and would move even further to the left if it didn't just batch test bolts and barrels and used F-marked FSBs. Since their bolts and barrels are very good, odds are the ArmaLite would perform just as well as a BCM but why pay that much when you can get the sure thing in the BCM.

nickdrak
04-06-10, 03:11
I agree with everyone here who stated that is way too much for that rifle. I would not pay more than $800 for that rifle, and I would still opt to spend an additional $200-$300 and get a BCM, Daniel Defense, or a slightly used Colt for what he is asking for that Armalite.

ETA: An example of what you can get for the same money:

BCM 16" midlength upper receiver w/BCM bolt carrier group & charging handle included from Bravo Co. = $580.00

Daniel Defense custom lower receiver from G&R Tactical = (starting at) $369.00

For under $1000.00 you would have a better rifle built up from superior components.

Iraqgunz
04-06-10, 09:13
I think I laid out in another forum how one could build a very good carbine for approx. $1000.00. That is still cheaper and you will have much more quality.

ryanm
04-06-10, 11:33
You can find a lightly used to new Colt for that money.

Than gun should be selling for $800

Armalite is lower than Bushmaster but better than DPMS.

I have to disagree. I have two Armalites and one Bushmaster. The Armalites were not lower quality, had mil-spec receiver extensions, one of the armalites has a 2 stage trigger which doesn't suck, both had a better fit and finish than the Bushmaster. Both BCGs in my armalites were properly staked as was the castle nut on the carbine. Bushmaster was over-gassed and needed an H2 buffer to cool it down. The Armalite carbine came with an H that works great with its mid-length gas system and the rifle came with an A2.

I had to gut and redo my shrubmaster to bring it up to a spec that I felt comfortable with. I like it now, but from the factory it lacked. I was happy that I did not have to go through my Armalites and replace the internals, the BCGs, triggers, and receiver extensions. Better rifles can be made for less as many have stated.

Also, according to Rob_S's chart, the Armalite is higher in the pecking order on his list as well.

From looking at the Shot Show pics, there are more good things on the way from Armalite this year in terms of new designs.

MistWolf
04-06-10, 12:50
Thanks guys. If he doesn't come down in price I'm passing

scottryan
04-06-10, 13:42
Also, according to Rob_S's chart, the Armalite is higher in the pecking order on his list as well .

There are a number of things that companies do that are not in the chart and Bushmaster exceeds Armalite in these categories.

SHIVAN
04-06-10, 14:05
There are a number of things that companies do that are not in the chart and Bushmaster exceeds Armalite in these categories.

They are....?

Whatever they are, they will be things important to some, and not to others. Even like the items listed in the chart.

Therefore completely subjective in nature.

dcollect
04-06-10, 17:30
The price is high intentionally. He wants you to come down to about $950 with the magazines and sight. Who doesn't like fishing?

Buy the gun, not the story.
ArmaLite is OK but for only a few dollars more you can get a significantly better weapon. You can build a superior BCM midlength for the same money.

Im curious how you can get 'significantly' better than an armalite. Better, sure. Significantly?

5pins
04-06-10, 17:30
They are....?

Marketing, Advertising, Publicity.

scottryan
04-06-10, 17:45
They are....?

Properly profiled barrels
Proper thumb screws on carry handles

SHIVAN
04-06-10, 18:43

Yeah, that's definitely a reach and WAAAAAAAAAY towards subjective. I don't have a single detachable carry handle in the house and have M4A1, Noveske, COLT LW, and MW contours on my four carbines, what is proper?

I think you prefer Bushmaster over ArmaLite, which is fine.

Showbart
04-06-10, 20:35
Saw 2 new Armalite M4 type LEO pkg last week. At $995 they were definitely not worth that, 2 stage trigger/xtra mags or not. FSB looked like pot metal casting.

SHIVAN
04-06-10, 20:40
FSB looked like pot metal casting.

Doubtful. It might look like something, but doubtful that ArmaLite or Bushmaster are using pot metal FSB's.

Ratfink
04-06-10, 22:58
i love armalite rifles i have used them quite a bit tho not up to some of my other rifles in quality they do operate perfectly with no problems in the ar15 or the ar10nm that i own but that price is very high i would stay away from it

Quentin
04-07-10, 01:30

Well, the ArmaLite thumbscrews are different looking but give you a lot more surface area to grab so you can get them much tighter by hand. The Bushmaster carry handle I have has much shorter slots on the screws than a Colt/GI pulloff does and those slots get buggered up. Also the inside loop of the carry handle is very roughly finished, again nothing like a Colt or ArmaLite. And the shelf that the rear sight rests on is 0.04" lower than on a Colt so it will match up with the shorter A2 front sight. That short shelf may also be true of ArmaLite but I don't have one handy at this time.

Not sure what you mean by properly profiled barrels... are you knocking midlength?

Not bashing Bushmaster, I like the one my buddy has but my ArmaLite is better. All you have to do is compare the bolt/carrier and feed ramps.

Eric
04-07-10, 04:56
FSB looked like pot metal casting. No. Forged rifle FSB.