PDA

View Full Version : Sending M&P9c back to S&W

citizensoldier16
04-05-10, 20:22
Last weekend, I bought an M&P9c because I wanted something smaller I could conceal. Needless to say, I've read a lot of good things about them on this website, so I decided to get one.

Today I took it out to my personal range (pile of dirt in the back yard) and shot it at distances between 10 and 25 yards.

Offhand at 10 yards, it shot about 4" high and 2" to the right, with a spread pattern of about 6". I wasn't impressed, so I switched ammo brands....same result. :confused:

So I pulled the car around and used the hood for a rest and got the same results with both Federal and Remington ammo.

At 25 yards it shot 10" high and 6" right with a spread over 12" with both brands of ammo. Thinking it might have been me and not the gun, I switched to my G17 and shot both brands of ammo. Both brands grouped within 3" from 25 yards and were right on target. I got the same results with my 92fs. :mad:

I called S&W and they are sending me a shipping label to send them the pistol to have it worked on. Anybody else have problems like this with theirs?

citizensoldier16
04-06-10, 03:21
109 views and no replies? :confused:

operator81
04-06-10, 04:00
I've personally seen a M&P9 and M&P9 Pro with bad (Monday) barrels. One was missing about an inch or so of rifling about halfway down the bore, the other had what can best be described as a "divot" inside the barrel where it looked like the reamer was stopped and re-started inside the barrel. S&Ws customer service is outstanding, so if the error is on their end they will make it right.

That being said...did you have someone else shoot it before taking it back? Those accuracy results could easily be operator error. More often then not its the user, not the hardware causing the issue.

Urabus23
04-06-10, 06:11
Did you try different grips? I first had the small grip on my gun because it was comfortable but always shot low left. After I changed to the medium all my shots were basically straight.

M4arc
04-06-10, 06:35
109 views and no replies? :confused:

Either no one else has had problems or they don't want to admit it. There really isn't much to say either way. The one thing I do know is that S&W is fantastic about correcting the issues and sending them back to their owners in short order.

When you get it back and have a chance to shoot it please follow up with a range report, okay?

John_Wayne777
04-06-10, 06:39
I had a 3913 that came from the box grouping 6" low at 7 yards. Sent it back to Smith, and they fixed her right up. Had the weapon back in just over a week.

There is no gun company on the planet that is immune from shipping out an individual weapon that has fleas. I've encountered issues with just about every brand on the market. It happens. When it comes to fixing issues, Smith is one of the better companies around.

Business_Casual
04-06-10, 08:45
Wow, three inch groups at 25 yards offhand. Why would you pick up any other pistol if you can reliably do that with the 17?

B_C

MarshallDodge
04-06-10, 10:12
There is no gun company on the planet that is immune from shipping out an individual weapon that has fleas. I've encountered issues with just about every brand on the market. It happens. When it comes to fixing issues, Smith is one of the better companies around.

That was my thinking. It's unfortunate that companies ship bad product but it happens.

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 10:18
Wow, three inch groups at 25 yards offhand. Why would you pick up any other pistol if you can reliably do that with the 17?

B_C

Because the 17 doesn't conceal all the easily. ;)

C4

MaceWindu
04-06-10, 10:28
I switched to my G17

There is your solution right there...:D ...Want something smaller? Get a 19...

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 10:31
I had a 3913 that came from the box grouping 6" low at 7 yards. Sent it back to Smith, and they fixed her right up. Had the weapon back in just over a week.

This.

If people believe that just buying another G-Lock GURANTEES you from having an issue, they are mistaken.

C4

citizensoldier16
04-06-10, 13:06
Thanks for the replies. This is the first S&W auto I've owned, so hearing that their CS department is excellent is definitely keeping my hopes up.

Grant is right....my G17 doesn't conceal well on my smaller frame. And yes, I had my stepdad and my buddy shoot the pistol and they all got the same results as me.

I'll follow up with a range report when I get the pistol back from S&W.

mark5pt56
04-06-10, 20:11
If comparing weapon sizes, a G17 is full size and I wonder what the "c" means on the MP?

As stated, he had no issues with the 17--he did with the MPc so if he went with a 19 he's not fixing anything, just getting a more concealable pistol.

I had a full size MP9, hit 8" high at 25. I had to get one to try and sold it after a while.

What I don't get is if I took a chic out on a date and all I got was an aggravated problem filled evening, why would I take the same one out again after she went to the salon and dentist?

decodeddiesel
04-06-10, 20:17
If comparing weapon sizes, a G17 is full size and I wonder what the "c" means on the MP?

C=Compact

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/Abby1911MP012CR2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/decodeddiesel/IMG_0538.jpg

Yes, I am a fan.

mark5pt56
04-06-10, 20:21
I knew what the c stood for, of course the 17 doesn't conceal as well as a compact model of another brand.

mark5pt56
04-06-10, 20:24
This.

If people believe that just buying another G-Lock GURANTEES you from having an issue, they are mistaken.

C4

It's safe to say that this guy's odd's are pretty good that he won't have an issue by getting another Glock.

The odd's are another MP will cause permanent enrollment in anger management classes

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 21:40
It's safe to say that this guy's odd's are pretty good that he won't have an issue by getting another Glock.

The odd's are another MP will cause permanent enrollment in anger management classes

Sorry, ain't buyin what your sellin. Glock puts out lemons just like HK, Sig, Beretta, etc do.

I am also not sure who is angry in this thread.

C4

oef24
04-07-10, 00:54
I agree with Grant that any company can and will put out a few lemons. If you are in the business of putting out any product, you will have those problems.

I have an M&P9c and I can't believe how accurate I can shoot it compared to my Glock 26 & 27.

I am sure S&W will make it right. Once you get it back, let us know how it does for you. S&W, like many other manufacturers want those lemons back so they can find out what happened and try to prevent it from happening in the future. If you buy enough firearms, you are almost always going to run into a problem like this. If it hasn't happened to you yet, just keep buying. Give it another go around.

O

dookie1481
04-07-10, 01:52

Plenty of people, myself included, have tried both and prefer the M&P.

Jay

mark5pt56
04-07-10, 06:23
Plenty of people, myself included, have tried both and prefer the M&P.

Jay

That's like doing a current presidential poll in D.C.

M4arc
04-07-10, 07:31
Since we can't act like adults and have turned this into a Glock vs M&P thread I'm going to close it.

citizensoldier16, PM me when your compact returns and I'll re-open it for you so you can post a follow-up.

M4arc
06-13-10, 07:31
citizensoldier16 received his M&P9c back so I'm going to open this back up for his update. Let's keep this thread on track this time.

citizensoldier16
06-13-10, 13:45
Thanks M4arc...

As he said, I recently got my M&P back from S&W. They inspected the crowning of my barrel and found it to be unsatisfactory. Unfortunately, they were not able to re-machine it....so they gave me a new barrel. In addition, the sights were adjusted for POA/POI at 25 yards. From a rest, my best 5 shot group was 3.25" at 25 yards. Offhand was about 4.5".

They also basically gave me a free trigger job. I originally complained because the trigger felt "gritty" and was a little heavy for my liking. It is now buttery smooth and has a pull of around 5.1#.

The workorder that gets included in each gun they work on isn't very detailed, but I called the armory and talked to one of the armorers who pulled my ticket and explained to me exactly what was done.

I asked M4arc to reopen this thread so that I could post the results of what sending a gun back to S&W would be like. I had a GREAT experience with their customer service team as well as their armorers who worked on my gun. Needless to say I am very happy with my M&P9c and with S&W as a company. I will continue to purchase their products because it is apparent that they will stand behind their work no matter what, and at no additional cost to the consumer.

Beat Trash
06-13-10, 16:17
Thanks M4arc...

I asked M4arc to reopen this thread so that I could post the results of what sending a gun back to S&W would be like. I had a GREAT experience with their customer service team as well as their armorers who worked on my gun. Needless to say I am very happy with my M&P9c and with S&W as a company. I will continue to purchase their products because it is apparent that they will stand behind their work no matter what, and at no additional cost to the consumer.

I'm not surprised with your experience, it mirrors my experience with S&W over the last couple of years.

Any mechanical item can have issues. What is important to me is how the company reacts to issues with one of their products. I also plan on giving S&W my business, so long as they continue their customer service at the level it's currently at.

ccoker
06-13-10, 16:28
thanks for the followup

a buddy and I were shooting my 9c and his standard full size (not long slide) and both of shot much tighter groups at 15 yards with the compact with varying ammo. I suspect his may need to go back.

Buckshot TX
06-15-10, 22:12
disregard

Fyrhazzrd
06-16-10, 08:05
When comparing your spread; another thing to consider would be the shorter barrel of the compact versus the longer barrel of your G17.

I'm not much of a handgun aficionado, but I think I remember something about the longer barrels of the full size guns being more accurate than the short barrels of compacts and sub compacts.

SteveL
06-16-10, 12:39
I'm glad to hear they took care of your issues. I'm hoping to pick one of these up for myself in the near future.

Goshen606
06-16-10, 13:25
I own a M&P40c after trying a different brand sub compact 40. It by far is the best handling one I have ever set in my hands. S&W makes great products, and has excellent customer service when needed. You won't be unhappy with your decision.

PLCedeno
06-17-10, 08:06
Did they change the sear?