PDA

View Full Version : Knife Input

SmokeJumper
04-06-10, 00:21
I'm in the market for another knife to carry at work so I have a folder on each side. I've been looking at the Spyderco Police G10. Anyone have any thoughts on this knife? The original Police with the stainless steel handles is just too slick in my opinion. It needs to have a pocket clip that can be moved for left/right tip up/tip down carry. Primary use will be utility and possibility of use as weapon retention if carried onsupport side. I'm not dead set on the Police, any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Geoffrey
04-06-10, 00:29
I have had a WIDE variety of folders over the years.

For me personally I no longer own a folding knife that is not a Benchmade.

For me they offer the top quality for the price.

Currently I carry a Benchmade 520 Presidio with a plain edge and satin finish

http://www.benchmade.com/products/520

Can usually find them right around $120 or so.

Great blade, great steel, nice grip, and great customer service.

Not sure if you wanted Spyderco only suggestions...

Just my 2 cents.

dewingrm
04-06-10, 03:42
I carry a waved Spyderco Endura on my reaction side. It deploys faster than any folding knife that I've owned. The Endura is close to the size of the Police and is a little less expensive. I think the waved Endura's are hard to beat for the price and speed of deployment.

Sluggo
04-07-10, 12:14
I'm in the market for another knife to carry at work so I have a folder on each side. I've been looking at the Spyderco Police G10. Anyone have any thoughts on this knife? The original Police with the stainless steel handles is just too slick in my opinion. It needs to have a pocket clip that can be moved for left/right tip up/tip down carry. Primary use will be utility and possibility of use as weapon retention if carried on support side. I'm not dead set on the Police, any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Like most spyderco's the Police is a good knife. For utility I would steer you towards to the Military/Paramilitary as its taller blade design/shape will be better suited to that roll. That said it doesn't meet the movable pocket clip requirement. However if you want one of the blades to be used as a backup for pistol retention....don't get a folder. Get yourself a small (3.5" min) fixed blade.

SmokeJumper
04-07-10, 16:09
I have had a WIDE variety of folders over the years.

For me personally I no longer own a folding knife that is not a Benchmade.

For me they offer the top quality for the price.

Currently I carry a Benchmade 520 Presidio with a plain edge and satin finish

http://www.benchmade.com/products/520

Can usually find them right around $120 or so.

Great blade, great steel, nice grip, and great customer service.

Not sure if you wanted Spyderco only suggestions...

Just my 2 cents.

Any and all input is welcomed, does not need to be just Spyderco- Thanks

jwlister
04-07-10, 17:44
I agree with the poster that suggested a waved spyderco endura. Since your already looking at the police it seems your interested in a larger blade and the endura is just a tad bit smaller. I just got one of the new ffg enduras and its a great knife. Its reasonably light for its size and is flat so it rides very nice in my pocket. Another nice spyderco is the stretch if you want to check that out.

If you want that fast opening its going to be hard to beat a waved folder as it will already be open when you remove it from your pocket. Besides the endura you could check out emersons waved offerings although they be quite a bit more expensive.

bkb0000
04-07-10, 18:25
http://www.benchmade.com/products/9050

i'm a construction contractor, and my knife gets HORRIBLY abused.. my current 9050 (straight blade, non black) has lasted 2.5 years and counting.. my last one lasted about 4ish years before i lost it. cutting anything and everything, slashing shingle bundles open (the worst thing you can do to any knife), prying shit with it, using it as a screwdriver, etc, etc. can be hand for under $200 if you shop around.

i dont know why this knife doesn't get more recognition.. it's the perfect basic folder. you can spend a lot more, but why?