PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBUS Gen II

kombos
04-06-10, 09:09
Anybody heard any updates on these or when they might be out?

I can't seem to find them on the Magpul site now :confused:

C4IGrant
04-06-10, 09:15
Anybody heard any updates on these or when they might be out?

I can't seem to find them on the Magpul site now :confused:

They aren't supposed to be out till Summer.

C4

Jake'sDad
12-15-10, 01:10
They aren't supposed to be out till Summer.

C4

Well.... they didn't say which summer......

BufordTJustice
12-15-10, 02:44
Ignorant out-of-the-loop question:

What's going to be different/improved about them?

I've got a rear MBUS and have been quite pleased with it. Buuuuut....

ChicagoTex
12-15-10, 03:05
Ignorant out-of-the-loop question:

What's going to be different/improved about them?

I've got a rear MBUS and have been quite pleased with it. Buuuuut....

15% smaller (and presumably about 15% lighter), otherwise no change if I recall correctly.

Nice evolution of the product, but I certainly wouldn't swap out perfectly good MBUS 1s for MBUS 2s.

tealio
02-01-11, 14:41
Planning on buying some mbus. Any news about gen ii?

Alex V
02-01-11, 15:42
15% smaller (and presumably about 15% lighter), otherwise no change if I recall correctly.

Nice evolution of the product, but I certainly wouldn't swap out perfectly good MBUS 1s for MBUS 2s.

also IIRC the front MBUS is supposed to have a spring loaded detente like a standard FSB as apposed to a pin that you install once elevation is set. This will allow to easier elevation adjustment. Once again, I could be wrong on this one, but I remember seeing that somewhere.

They are on the Magpul site:
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG247/45
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG247/45

EDIT: I am not wrong, the front MBUS is as I thought.
"NEW Features for GEN 2

* Reduced size for greater optics compatibility
* Spring-locking front sight post holds consistent elevation"

Jake'sDad
02-01-11, 18:30
Planning on buying some mbus. Any news about gen ii?

According to their website, it's "coming soon".

swsmailman
02-01-11, 18:37
I was also wondering about these, I plan on ordering an AR tomorrow along with some BUIS since I won't be getting optics for a while. Would hate to order a set of Gen 1's when the Gen 2's are going to come out just around the corner.

Alex V
02-01-11, 18:39
I was also wondering about these, I plan on ordering an AR tomorrow along with some BUIS since I won't be getting optics for a while. Would hate to order a set of Gen 1's when the Gen 2's are going to come out just around the corner.

something tells me that corner is months off...

swsmailman
02-01-11, 18:44
Yep, I am also thinking the same thing. Either way I will be happy with whatever ones I have on my rifle.

bp7178
02-01-11, 19:25
IIRC, all the pictures showing rifles from the Magpul booth at the 2011 shot show all had the GEN-II MBUS sights. It would be nice if they stepped this up a bit. ;)

I guess I would rather it be fully cooked and not some half baked **** up, but how much is there really to hash out.

Russ D
02-01-11, 20:37
I'm glad they fixed the one issue I had with them.

Dozer
02-01-11, 20:43
They will be out later this month if all goes well.

Thank you for your patience.

Russ D
02-01-11, 20:52

Awesome, guess I'll hold off on that new pair of sights I was shopping for.

Gunfighter 9
02-02-11, 07:23
I hope they are released in sufficient quantity. I hate going to buy something and its sold out everywhere within ten minutes. Looks like a good revision though.

Shawn.L
02-02-11, 07:52
Smaller would be nice, if they would fit under my TR24 Id buy a rear.

Jake'sDad
02-02-11, 09:25

Good to hear.

swampfox1975
02-02-11, 13:42
waiting paitiently and these are are a top of my list to buy. I have two sets of their regular mbus, and can give rave reviews.

kyredneck1911
02-02-11, 17:09
GREAT,,, I was just gettin' ready to buy a set of MBUS for my first AR but I am gonna wait for the new editions, reckon we could get a heads-up when these come out?

Hmac
02-02-11, 17:21
Just backorderd a rear Gen II at Brownell's. Not holding my breath - still waiting on a Form 1 anyway.

snappy
02-02-11, 17:26
I need a set of sights as well. Glad to find out about these. Eyes open, mouth shut.

Fried Chicken Blowout
02-02-11, 17:52
Bring'm on, I need a rear that will fit under an optic. I'm thinking about taking some material off the current Gen I rear to get it to fit. I only need about 1/16" clearance... But if these bad boys are coming out quick or I can preorder them at Brownell's, then I'll wait.

Fried Chicken Blowout
02-02-11, 17:55
Ha, Ha.... I just answered my own question. They are available as a preorder from Brownell's... Sweet, placing order now!

Can I assume that a Gen II rear will be compatible with a Gen I front? There's no reason that won't work, RIGHT?

Hammertime
02-02-11, 21:55
I just hope they took up some slack so they'll lay down a bit better. Otherwise, time to try something else.

What about the MS3 sling? Definitely in for one if Made in USA. Otherwise, time to try something else like Urban ERT, etc. Gotta support products made here, sorry.

Dozer
02-03-11, 09:11
I just hope they took up some slack so they'll lay down a bit better. Otherwise, time to try something else.

What about the MS3 sling? Definitely in for one if Made in USA. Otherwise, time to try something else like Urban ERT, etc. Gotta support products made here, sorry.

Please contact us if your sights are defective, I would love to see what is wrong with them.

Also, all of our products are made in the US so you don't have to worry about that.

Iyyobr
02-03-11, 12:25
Anyone got some pics ?

swampfox1975
02-03-11, 12:29
Please contact us if your sights are defective, I would love to see what is wrong with them.

Also, all of our products are made in the US so you don't have to worry about that.

Now that's noteworthy customer service.

tfltackdriver
02-03-11, 13:47
I'm thinking about taking some material off the current Gen I rear to get it to fit. I only need about 1/16" clearance... But if these bad boys are coming out quick or I can preorder them at Brownell's, then I'll wait.

Patience or powertools, patience or powertools :moil:

If you're going to go ahead and order replacements anyway, might as well ruin the ones you've got now.

Fried Chicken Blowout
02-03-11, 17:03
Patience or powertools, patience or powertools :moil:

If you're going to go ahead and order replacements anyway, might as well ruin the ones you've got now.

Good point. I'm going to take some material off tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

dravz
02-03-11, 22:09
Excellent timing! I was just about to buy some MBUS.

ghostman1960
02-03-11, 22:32
GREAT,,, I was just gettin' ready to buy a set of MBUS for my first AR but I am gonna wait for the new editions, reckon we could get a heads-up when these come out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer View Post

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-03-11, 22:42
So, smaller, less material, more price? Am I wrong here?

Hammertime
02-03-11, 23:14
I am not trying to bash Magpul here. I am a fan of most of your products, and have been helped by Justin in CS before, so I know that your CS is exceptional. My favorite Magpul products are the ACS and the PMag (windowed).

Pertaining to the MBUS, I am not saying that the sights are defective, and I am by no means an engineer or expert. In fact, it could be my perfectionist side that makes me not feel 100% about them. They seem to stick up at ever-so-slightly an angle in the back, not quite parallel to the rail, but up a small bit. I don't know, maybe 1/16" or 1/8"? Also, they seem a little bulky (thick) and can be awkward if I'm transitioning in a hurry and don't get my hand in the perfect spot. I have determined that, while costly, the most appropriate buis for me are the KAC Micros.

Thank you for clearing up the fact that all of your products are made here in the USA. I was mis-informed about your MS2 sling; my apologies. Looking forward to your MS3 and I will take a look at the new MBUS2 when I can put hands on them.

Bryant

Dozer
02-04-11, 09:26
So, smaller, less material, more price? Am I wrong here?

That's oversimplifing it a bit.

BCmJUnKie
02-04-11, 09:48

Why would you hate to have the Gen I ? Its a prettty awesome sight. Its the ONLY rear sight thats ever been on my M4... You should pick some up to see if you even like them

tfltackdriver
02-04-11, 10:40
Good point. I'm going to take some material off tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Please post photos. I am considering doing the same to mine. You first, though.

Fried Chicken Blowout
02-04-11, 15:35
Please post photos. I am considering doing the same to mine. You first, though.

DONE... Did it this AM. My dad has a 12" low speed wet honing wheel for knife sharpening. It took about 15 mins to clearance the top to fit the scope. There is enough clearance for the little screw head in the last photo. The rubber ring around the very end of the optic does slightly touch the back of the iron sight. The roughed up finish on the MBUS is not visible because the scope covers it.

PHOTOS OF THE MODIFIED MBUS
(http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia#100461)
By the way the new Burris Tac 30 1-4 is SWEET. Got it zeroed today at 100 yards. It took 5 clicks of elevation to get it dialed in and it was on the money...

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!

Teufelhunden
02-18-11, 00:30
and can be awkward if I'm transitioning in a hurry and don't get my hand in the perfect spot.

If you're hunting the little activation shelves or tabs, you're doing it the slow way. When needing them, you can push down anywhere on the smooth front half of the MBUS (front or rear) where the Magpul logo is located, and the sight will pop up, usually quickly enough to slap the finger activating them.

J Krammes
02-18-11, 00:52
What I don't like about the current MBUS is the size and the aperture is on the small hole when your flip it up. Do the new ones fix these issues?

Jeremy

BCmJUnKie
02-18-11, 12:13
What I don't like about the current MBUS is the size and the aperture is on the small hole when your flip it up. Do the new ones fix these issues?

Jeremy

Have you actually USED the sight or just looked through it. It takes ONE time at the range and youre used to it.

sdcromer
02-18-11, 19:57
I love the MBUS rear sights and have them on three of my carbines. Would really like a same plane version though......please!!!

TheBelly
02-18-11, 22:50
The set that I have fit perfectly under a 1-4 scope. I trust them for what I use them for: back up.

If I wanted to use 'irons' as primary sights, I'd actually use iron/metal.

BCmJUnKie
02-19-11, 11:18
The set that I have fit perfectly under a 1-4 scope. I trust them for what I use them for: back up.

If I wanted to use 'irons' as primary sights, I'd actually use iron/metal.

Thats the best answer I have heard so far

J Krammes
02-19-11, 12:34
Have you actually USED the sight or just looked through it. It takes ONE time at the range and youre used to it.

I just looked through them. I did not buy them because I did not care for them. I had the intent to get them until I looked through them.

Jk

bp7178
02-25-11, 01:35
Dozer, how is it looking for the release?

I keep looking at the Troys, mostly for the lower profile. I would rather go with the MBUS 2 for the lower profile and lower weight.

t4man
02-25-11, 07:20
are there any pics out?

Stickman
02-25-11, 12:13
are there any pics out?

I think the Magpul catalog has some.

J_Dub_503
07-23-11, 14:52
Magpul Rear MBUS Gen2 on sale $48.95 @ SKD

saddlerocker
07-23-11, 15:18
I think lots of places have them, or they are mismarked.
I just got one from midwayUSA about 2 weeks ago.
I never really saw a 1st gen MBUS so I dont know if mines different

SteveL
07-23-11, 16:14
I think lots of places have them, or they are mismarked.
I just got one from midwayUSA about 2 weeks ago.
I never really saw a 1st gen MBUS so I dont know if mines different

Note the location of the Magpul log on the different generations.

Gen 1
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LNYRCTTywII/TZQIkVvONTI/AAAAAAAAAV0/sihVVwMGaHk/s200/MAgpul-MBUS.jpg

Gen 2
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk9eQLVU-_OOgswJ2qCZkO9fr3CDgV2U3ASQNORksn6Ox3w48LjQ

I was looking at your thread in the custom build forum and I'm pretty sure yours is a Gen 2.

saddlerocker
07-23-11, 18:05
yeah from your pictures they are gen2.

I dont beleive the packaging said Gen2 or anything, so i didnt really know for sure.

jcemt
07-23-11, 18:21
I really wish they'd make a gas block model.

Ando
07-23-11, 20:22
I think, not sure, but I think the potential extreme heat of the gas block is not compatable with the material.

Best feature about the Magpul sights is the plastic, so I can take a drum sander and "fit" the sight under my TR24:D

polymorpheous
07-23-11, 21:02
Just got the rear from SKD today.
It's definitely flatter than the GEN1.
It seems to be just as long though.

Shiz
07-24-11, 00:34
I am really impressed with the MBUS in general. They are very sturdy. I have banged mine around quite a bit, doing quite a few rifle courses. Did a few using jut the irons..err plastics. Held zero and was very robust. Got me a few of the Gen2 to play with and like um even more.

LightningFast
07-24-11, 13:54
While playing with a rifle at the LGS, I was impressed by the Gen2s. I had never handled any mbus before then, but they seemed like a quality product

TurretGunner
01-14-12, 18:16
Sorry to bring this back to life.

Are the gen1's and gen 2's interchangable? Will the gen 1 fronts work with say a Matech or a Troy rear?

Thanks

TurretGunner
01-23-12, 11:59
Anyone?

SomeOtherGuy
01-23-12, 12:03
Sorry to bring this back to life.

Are the gen1's and gen 2's interchangable? Will the gen 1 fronts work with say a Matech or a Troy rear?

Thanks

Yes to all the above.

ForTehNguyen
01-23-12, 13:37
a nice touch with the Gen 2 front is they include a plastic sight tool. You can use them on other ARs, very nice.