PDA

View Full Version : DD AR15 Lite Rail Wrench...

Razorhunter
04-28-07, 20:25
Ok guys,
Well I finally had the time to install my new DD Lite Rail today, and shit just went to hell.
I knew going into this, that it could possibly get ugly, as something told me that the $31 DD Lite Rail wrench was not hardened, and neither was the proprietary bbl nut they supply.
The instructions say to torque the bbl nut to 50-75 ft-lbs, and I guranTEE you guys that there is NO way in hell that I was going to get that nut anywhere CLOSE to 50, much less 75, with the SOFT wrench supplied.
I think that the wrench would work a bit better, if it were to completely encapsulate the bbl nut, by using FOUR teeth, instead of THREE.
Even IF this were the case, as soft as that wrench was, I'm betting it still would have stripped the 3 teeth, AND the bbl nut, as it did to me today.
SO, anyhow, just to note, I had set the torque wrench to only 50 ft-lbs, hoping to play it safe, as I KNEW that the wrench's teeth and bbl nut were not very strong, and could possibly strip.
I took VERY careful time in going SLOW, and making sure the wrench had FULL contact on all three teeth, and I also made sure that everything was square, so as to promote the best possible chance for the wrench and bbl nut NOT to strip out on me.
Unfortunately, as stated, the wrench and bbl nut stripped out (wrench stripped the worst I think), and now I'm sitting here with a bleeding knuckle, and no way to get my rifle put back together.
I'm telling you guys, the wrench/bbl nut stripped out under such little force, that it caught me off guard so quickyl, that I busted my knuckle.
I ALWAYS take care to make sure my knuckles are out of harms way, once I reach the point where the heavy torque needs to start being applied, but it must have stripped out under a mere 20 ft-lbs I would guess, as it happened almost immediately, and so quickly. I mean, I had JUST barely got started, and BOOM, the wrench teeth gave.
So I've now got a stripped bbl nut, stripped wrench, and busted knuckle, and no rifle to shoot.
I just cannot see how this wrench/bbl nut system works, and can possibly have ANY decent amount of torque applied to it, UNLESS I have somehow received an ABNORMALLY soft bbl nut and wrench????? I doubt mine's any different from the rest of the one's DD has made though. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
I ALMOST decided to just leave the stripped out bbl nut on there, and finish torquing it on with a monkey wrench, but when I slid the Lite Rail onto the barrel, you can CLEARLY see the gruesome, marred up, ugly as hell, battered bbl nut, sitting there staring at you, and I just am not cool with that, after spending $300 on this rail setup.

Please understand I'm not trying to knock DD in any way, as I know for a fact they are good guys, and have EXCELLENT customer service (which I've experienced first hand in the past), but I just had to come here and ask if any of you guys have had the same experience? Do I POSSIBLY have a lemon bbl nut and/or wrench (ie abnormally soft)???
I would think for a $300 rail + $31 proprietary wrench, they would have been HARDENED steel, or at LEAST made of a stronger tool steel? perhaps?
MAYBE they ARE made of tool steel, but I swear I've never seen tool steel this soft before. I've got quite a bit of tool steel experience myself too, as I've made quite a few knives in my time, in the machine shop.
I know DD will replace my parts, but I KNOW for a FACT, that IF they supply me with another wrench and bbl nut, that are no different than before, they too will strip out, and there is NO WAY I'm getting anywhere close to 50-75 ft-lbs of torque on it...
Someone please tell me something that will lift my spirits.

What's worse, is I just moved, and my Bridgeport mill and lathe's phase converters are no longer wired up, and I don't even have the capability to make my own replacement wrench or bbl nut... Not that I've got the time to do it anyhow. I really HOPE a new nut and wrench will somehow work...

Robb Jensen
04-28-07, 20:53
Strange, I've used my Lite Rail wrench right at 70ft lbs 4 times with no troubles.

Razorhunter
04-29-07, 00:08
Wow,
That truly is shocking. One other thing I forgot to also mention was that even the square hole in the DD wrench, which is used for insertion of the torque wrench, also distorted under this slight pressure. I mean, you can clearly see the square is now distorted, and basically all "wobbled out" now from the torque wrench...
Really wish these parts were either hardened or at least made from a higher grade tool steel...
I hope DD doesn't think I'm crazy, or think I'm some chump who doesn't know what he's doing...

Robb Jensen
04-29-07, 07:42
Wow,
That truly is shocking. One other thing I forgot to also mention was that even the square hole in the DD wrench, which is used for insertion of the torque wrench, also distorted under this slight pressure. I mean, you can clearly see the square is now distorted, and basically all "wobbled out" now from the torque wrench...
Really wish these parts were either hardened or at least made from a higher grade tool steel...
I hope DD doesn't think I'm crazy, or think I'm some chump who doesn't know what he's doing...

I'm wondering if your wrench missed the hardening process while being made.

Sam
04-29-07, 07:46
Since you listed Atl. as your location, you might be able to get help from JKiser who sell and install a ton of DD rails (including mine). He's in Powder Spring and post on AR15.com, he may be able to help you. Good luck.

Razorhunter
04-29-07, 09:58
Wow, I didn't realize they were supposed to be hardened? You know this for a fact?

Robb Jensen
04-29-07, 10:09
Wow, I didn't realize they were supposed to be hardened? You know this for a fact?

Most tools are hardened/tempered. Yours might have slipped out without it. Contact Daniel Defense and tell them of the troubles with yours. They're really cool guys to talk to.

Razorhunter
04-29-07, 16:38
Yeah, they are cool guys.

I'm just wondering IF the bbl nut was supposed to be hardened also?
It not always the best idea to harden the wrench if the bbl nut isn't going to be hardened as well...

Stickman
04-29-07, 20:58
I've installed a bunch of DD Lite rails, and have no idea what you are talking about. I've never seen any of the barrel nuts get deformed, nor have I ever had any issues with the barrel nut wrenches.

Contact Jay Duncan at Daniel Defense, and talk to him. He will take care of you.

Go ahead and post a picture when you get a chance.

MH64
04-29-07, 21:18
Got any pics of the wrench and barrel nut?

Razorhunter
04-29-07, 22:50
Man I wish I could post pics guys. I've had major issues with the digital camera software lately, and its' just not possible right now.
I'm sure you've all seen rounded over, stripped out fasteners before.
As for the wrench, it was just like it was made of butter, and all three teeth just rolled over and rounded off like it was nothing...

SuicideHz
04-29-07, 23:24
Those statements require pictures, pure and simple. Butter? Damn. Just can't picture it and that is why the picture is required.

Razorhunter
04-30-07, 06:37
Sorry, but I disagree. While I DO agree that pics are nice, I do NOT agree that they are "required" ???
If you can't picture a Daniel Defense Lite Rail wrench (or ANY wrench for that matter) with the teeth rounded over on it, then this thread just isn't for you...

Marler5811
04-30-07, 14:35
Paul,

I apologize for the defective wrench that you received. Please understand that we are mass producing products and even though we have a very strict quality control program, something may slip through the cracks.

Daniel Defense has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If at anytime you are not satisfied with one of our products, don't hesitate to give us a call. We will be more than happy to get you taken care of.

On another note, you have two new barrel nuts and a wrench on the way.

Best Regards,
Joe Marler
joe@danieldefense.com

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:26
I didn't mean required for us to believe you but it would be something to see.

Razorhunter
04-30-07, 19:27
Yeah, sweet deal Joe,
I hope no one thinks I'm trying to attack DD here. Not the intent. I'm not upset at all, and I'm sure you could see that during our conversation this morning.
I think DD has about the most excellent customer service I've ever experienced, and I'm totally satisfied.
I know sometimes things happen, and that's understandable. Not a big deal at all.

I explained the issue to Joe this morning guys, and the first thing he asked was "what do we need to do to fix this situation?" ...

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:29
ah. I'm Joe. Thought you were talking to me for a minute ;)

Razorhunter
05-03-07, 16:58
Ok guys,
I am going to finish the install of the DD Lite Rail tonight, (hopefully if I've got the time), as I have received the new bbl nut and replacement wrench from Joe at Daniel Defense.
The FIRST thing I noticed, when I received my replacement wrench, was that it is considerably THICKER than the old wrench that I sent back to DD. I forgot to mic the thickness of the old wrench, but I am guessing it was about .100" -.125" max. The old wrench was also grey in color. Looked like a bead blasted finish IMO.
The NEW wrench is BLACK in color, and it mics out at just over .180", which is considerably thicker and heftier.

I am still waiting to hear back from DD, to see if either the wrenches or the bbl nuts are supposed to be hardened steel????

Which wrenches do most of you other forum members have? Are they the THIN version or the THICK version??? Just curious. I suppose if the wrench works, it doesn't matter HOW thin/thick it is...

Stickman
05-03-07, 17:17
Mine are quite stout.

militarymoron
06-08-07, 19:36
i just ran across this thread. the DD lite barrel nut wrench i have is about .125" thick, and it's grey. and yes, both the teeth and the square hole did deform when i torqued down the barrel nut and i was surprised how soft it was.
i got to about 65 ft-lbs and stopped. a while ago, i suggested to jay that they have vltor make a dual-head barrel nut wrench - one side for the VIS and the other for the DD lite. the vltor VIS barrel nut wrench is very sturdy.

SuicideHz
06-08-07, 23:46
Jay and his DD crew are superb. I don't know what all the hype is about LT. Mark throws Dillos and hats at people while Jay will give you what you need.

I had a DD rail QD sling mount that stripped after moving it from rifle to rifle and after 1/2 of an email he had a new part and a new mount out to me ASAP.

I didn't get any stupid hats or bottle openers- I got what I needed- for TWO rifles.

And no, the parts won't strip again. They were well thought out to begin with but certain mods were made to ensure (not insure) that the problem wouldn't happen again.

I will only buy (or keep) products from LT that aren't available from LT.

Sorry, but that's how I feel and I think it's warranted.

I've never seen Jay resort to the types of things I've seen ML resort to come from Jay or his company.

militarymoron
06-09-07, 10:00
not to turn this into a LT vs DD debate, but i think that BOTH companies offer superb products and customer service, and bend over backwards to provide users with what they need and back up their products.

my initial post wasn't a complaint - it was to let paul know that he wasn't the only one who had bent a wrench. anyways, joe contacted me offline only hours after reading my post, offering to send out a replacement wrench. i didn't need one at the moment (i'll give them a yell if i ever plan on taking apart the rail), but i really appreciate that kind of service. thanks joe.