PDA

View Full Version : Carbon vs. SS Sig P226

calvin118
04-06-10, 18:23
http://www.topgunsupply.com/zurich-police-p226/

I'm thinking about ordering one as a 'fun gun', but I still want it to shoot well and not break. Which style would you guys recommend?

PPGMD
04-06-10, 18:28
Stainless, future availability of carbon steel parts is questionable IMO. It's hard to get extractors for them for example.

gtmtnbiker98
04-06-10, 18:33
Stainless, future availability of carbon steel parts is questionable IMO. It's hard to get extractors for them for example.+1. Although I would also be hard pressed to buy a current Sig sight unseen. Their QC is questionable in recent years. YMMV

calvin118
04-06-10, 18:50
+1. Although I would also be hard pressed to buy a current Sig sight unseen. Their QC is questionable in recent years. YMMV

The reason I am interested in these is because they are (by all accounts lightly) used European (Zurich) police trade in models.

I have not heard that Sig's QC issues extend back to Switzerland/Germany. Am I wrong?

skyugo
04-06-10, 21:02
The reason I am interested in these is because they are (by all accounts lightly) used European (Zurich) police trade in models.

I have not heard that Sig's QC issues extend back to Switzerland/Germany. Am I wrong?

i think those are 80's guns... i may be wrong...
probably will be trouble free if so.

Apollo11
04-06-10, 21:42
If this is for a fun gun, I would go with the carbon slide. They are not made any more, and for the time being you can stock up on some parts.

From reading on the Sigforum, it looks like Sigs from 2003 and before have less of a chance of having issues.

PrivateCitizen
04-07-10, 10:15
If this is for a fun gun, I would go with the carbon slide. They are not made any more, and for the time being you can stock up on some parts.

From reading on the Sigforum, it looks like Sigs from 2003 and before have less of a chance of having issues.

As an entirely personal anecdote I can confirm that experience.

Personally, I have had several SIGs, most 04-06. The exception was a 94 P228 and a 95 P230 that was a carry setup for a long time.

The 04-06 (P229, P245 & SP2022) all had various issues. All were sold off at a bit of a loss as I just got agitated with them.

The West German stamped models were about as flawless as you could expect.

The P228/P230 are gone now as I move to consolidate platforms … but I miss them both on occasion. I don't miss the others. YMMV.

TOrrock
04-07-10, 10:20
I've owned several of the all Kraut stamped steel slide P226's and P228's.

I currently carry a stamped slide P226 that looks like it was frozen in time.

The German SIG's garnered a reputation for fantastic reliability and accuracy in the 80's for a good reason. When things started getting moved over to the US and the Kimber guy took over SIG USA, that's when things started going down hill.

I also own and use a SIG P226 Tactical, which I've used in several very serious classes, and haven't had any issues to date with it.

The guns that the Zurich Polizei got from SIG probably were built in Germany, with a US made stainless slide, and I wouldn't have any problem with them.