PDA

View Full Version : From Bushy to Military M4

Jeff5886
04-06-10, 19:01
I have a bushmaster M4 right now. I bought the rifle because I am in the Marine Corps and want to practice shotting for the way we shoot at the range. I already have added a military issue sling and ACOG, rail system and hand guards. My question is what else on my rifle should I swap out to make if feel as much like the colts we shoot at the range? Or if anything else, what else should I swap to make it a better rifle. I was thinking of starting with a better charging handle and buffer spring. What else?

Thanks
Sgt H

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs086.snc3/15340_1157101541363_1642489997_527401_844864_n.jpg

bkb0000
04-06-10, 19:23
does it not feel like your issued M4 as it is?

read this, https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376 and check out the other knowledge base threads in the technica forum.

William B.
04-06-10, 19:31
If you want it to feel like an M4, then you should be good as is. If you want it to be like an M4, then you've got some work to do.

Nice optic, by the way. You must have coughed up some serious cash for that. Are those Knight's Armament handguards?

Showbart
04-06-10, 20:31
Just the buffer itself. Eh, guys?

Black
04-06-10, 20:34
SBR it to a 14.5" barrel.

Personally, I pride myself in knowing that my AR15 is of a much better quality than the M4 I'm issued. Each to his own, though.

Showbart
04-06-10, 20:40
SBR it to a 14.5" barrel.

True, but cutting it would be a waste of money. But if you had to do it, pin a BCM longer birdcage cuz a $200 tax stamp is more money, more time.

shadow65
04-06-10, 20:55
I had a Bushmaster M4 style with a pinned Phantom ll. It was a good rifle. If I was going to change anything, I would put a BCM bolt/M16 carrier in it with an H2 buffer.

E53001
04-08-10, 16:33
you want to practice shooting a weapon your issued but yet you by a less desirable brand known to have QC issues... Why didnt you just buy a colt ?

Jeff5886
04-08-10, 16:43
you want to practice shooting a weapon your issued but yet you by a less desirable brand known to have QC issues... Why didnt you just buy a colt ?

The bushy was free.

PRGGodfather
04-08-10, 16:48
Cannot beat free! It's not a Colt, but here's what you can do to help...

For RELIABILITY:

1. Check your BCG to ensure it is staked properly. If not, stake it.

2. Check your castle nut and ensure it is staked properly. If not, stake it.

3. Replace your blue extractor buffer with a BLACK one. Available at www.brownells.com

4. Ream your chamber to 5.56 specifications. Your barrel may be stamped as a 5.56, yet if reamed, material is almost always removed from the chamber. Bushies tend to be on the tight side.

5. Replace the carbine buffer with an H buffer. Helps with the timing and dwell time in a 7" carbine gas system.

Your carbine is likely a bit overgassed, but it should run pretty well -- being overgassed will beat up the internals a little faster -- but just SHOOT that MFer and run it hard! Get the trigger time and roll it like you stole it!

Can't guarantee anything, but such preemptive measure are a solid start.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Jeff5886
04-08-10, 17:32

For RELIABILITY:

1. Check your BCG to ensure it is staked properly. If not, stake it.

3. Replace your blue extractor buffer with a BLACK one. Available at www.brownells.com

4. Ream your chamber to 5.56 specifications. Your barrel may be stamped as a 5.56, yet if reamed, material is almost always removed from the chamber. Bushies tend to be on the tight side.

5. Replace the carbine buffer with an H buffer. Helps with the timing and dwell time in a 7" carbine gas system.

Your carbine is likely a bit overgassed, but it should run pretty well -- being overgassed will beat up the internals a little faster -- but just SHOOT that MFer and run it hard! Get the trigger time and roll it like you stole it!

Thanks for the awesome reply!

emt370
04-08-10, 20:21
Do I see that the front sight base is shaved or a low-profile block is in place? Is there any front sight or rear sight at all? Might want to get that done so you can practice that aspect as well.

matt86
04-08-10, 20:28

For RELIABILITY:

1. Get a BCM bcg.

all you need.