PDA

View Full Version : forward assist question

99HMC4
04-06-10, 22:40
So I was thinking the other day, wouldnt the forward assist be better of on the left side of the receiver? Not that Ive ever used it but just a thought....

wes007
04-06-10, 22:54
Theoretically yes because you wouldnt have to leave fire control to access it, but the percentage of people who actually find themselves using the forward assist on a consistent basis is slim to none.

Dirknar
04-07-10, 20:27
the percentage of people who actually find themselves using the forward assist on a consistent basis is slim to none.

I use it everytime I charge the gun....now,,,,that I dry fired a perfect 200 yard prone shot on a coyote about a month ago because I "chamber-checked" 20 mins earlier and let the B/C in quietly not thinking..It wasn't fully engaged obviously. I wanted to cry:(

P2000
04-07-10, 20:42
I say no, it is best where it is for a few reasons that I can think of.

1. While wearing a sling it will dig into your body, getting annoying real fast.

2. The 3 point slings would get in the way of hitting the assist.

3. The serrations on the bolt carrier look badass. If they were moved to the other side, you couldn't see them!:)

Besides, after a chamber check (with your muzzle pointed down) you can still hit it with your left hand if you first rotate the rifle 90 degrees counter clock wise if you wanted to do it that way.

Heavy Metal
04-07-10, 21:18
You can still press it with your firing hand thumb without you hand leaving the grip.

If your thumb can't close the deal, you need to rack the bolt anyway.

Smacking it with your palm is a good way to stick the action shut.

WesleyCE
04-08-10, 01:02
I wouldnt want to use that method on a hot BCG if I needed to use the FA.

tirod
04-09-10, 19:38
I think he means you could thumb a left side FA to close the bolt and still keep a hand on the grip.

Thumbing a hot BCG goes back to whether to use the FA at all, and the causes of stoppages.

Heavy Metal
04-09-10, 19:50
No, I mean you can thumb it without completely removing your strong side hand in the current, right side location.