PDA

View Full Version : Buddy shooting his HK45 consistently low

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 07:41
Maybe somebody can help my Buddy out. He recently bought a HK45 and is consistently shooting 3 to 4 inches low. We swapped out the back straps w/o result. He thought the sights are off but I shot it and it was dead on. He fired 150 rounds thru it so far and is getting frustrated.
All shooting was done at 7 yards and the front sight dot is on the bulls eye.

M4arc
04-07-10, 07:49
If you shot it and it was dead on then I'd say he's breaking his wrist, pushing down in anticipation of the recoil.

Mix some snap caps into one of his mags and watch him to see if that's what he's doing. It will become apparent when he gets to one of the snap caps ;)

Robb Jensen
04-07-10, 07:51
FWIW I know of no sights which are set up for POA/POI at 7yds.

Most are for 25yds or 50yds shooting.

If you're hitting to low you could get a shorter front sight, but it will likely screw up your groups at 25-50yds make them hit too high. You could also try slower ammo which will hit higher.

Most are a compromise at 7yds.
Example my Glock 22 Gen 4 hits dead nuts on at 25yds, about 1/2-1" low at 50yds and about 1" low at 7-10yds. This is with Warren Tactical three dot sights with all 180gr loads.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 08:13
If you shot it and it was dead on then I'd say he's breaking his wrist, pushing down in anticipation of the recoil.

Mix some snap caps into one of his mags and watch him to see if that's what he's doing. It will become apparent when he gets to one of the snap caps ;)

I'll try that, thanks.

jasonhgross
04-07-10, 08:14
Yeah, he is likely anticipating recoil. IE: he is milking the gun or jerking the trigger in anticipation of recoil.

ColdDeadHands
04-07-10, 08:15
FWIW I know of no sights which are set up for POA/POI at 7yds.

Most are for 25yds or 50yds shooting.

If you're hitting to low you could get a shorter front sight, but it will likely screw up your groups at 25-50yds make them hit too high. You could also try slower ammo which will hit higher.

Most are a compromise at 7yds.
Example my Glock 22 Gen 4 hits dead nuts on at 25yds, about 1/2-1" low at 50yds and about 1" low at 7-10yds. This is with Warren Tactical three dot sights with all 180gr loads.

1" low wouldn't be a big deal but he's shooting 3 - 4 inches low. Thanks for the info tho.

gtmtnbiker98
04-07-10, 09:32
Make sure he puts the dot of the front sight in front of where he wants the point of impact. Do not use the "pumpkin on a post" sight picture, if you do, you'll get low impacts. The point of impact on all HK handguns is behind the dot, as in the round will land where the dot is aiming. Or at least, it should land behind the dot.

ShipWreck
04-07-10, 12:11
Make sure he puts the dot of the front sight in front of where he wants the point of impact. Do not use the "pumpkin on a post" sight picture, if you do, you'll get low impacts. The point of impact on all HK handguns is behind the dot, as in the round will land where the dot is aiming. Or at least, it should land behind the dot.

Yes, you beat me to it. When I cover the target with the front dot on my handguns, I always his POA at 7 yards.

Walker77
04-10-10, 00:02
I had the same problem with my P2000 and P2000sk. I called hk and they told me that european guns are made for you cover the target with the front sight. I ordered a shorter front sights for next to nothing. So its just like the other guys said, hks are made to cover the target with the front dot. I am curious though, does he have this problem with other hand guns?

P2000
04-10-10, 00:10
In addition to adding snap caps to mags while at the range, dry fire practice at home helps a lot in building muscle memory. Tell him to keep the sights on target during and just after the trigger breaks. Lots of people associate the trigger pull with not aiming anymore...which leads to moving your sights during the shot. You have to build the feel of following through.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-10-10, 00:32
Basically, HK sights are set up so the dot is the POI. This is actually pretty dang logical from a combat pistol perspective. Your buddy just needs a little more time with the gun.