PDA

View Full Version : My Only CCW Pistol... Recommend

Jeff5886
04-07-10, 09:40
I am in the market for a pistol for CCW. I plan to go to the range and choose a handful of guns to fire to narrow it done to the one I will buy, but I want some advise on what to choose to rent at the range. This will be my only pistol so I want to do it right the first time. I have had 2 pistol before, XD40 and XDm 40, not a fan of either.

I am willing to sacrifice price for....

- Comfort...Will be primarily for CCW. I am a big dude and will be looking at a compact. I dont want something long and heavy thats just going to sit in the truck.
- Accuracy...I am thinking of going 9mm due to less recoil and ability to shoot, and move on to the next target as quickly as possible, ACCURATELY.

Also, something else that is very important to me is after market parts (I plan to modify the gun to my EXACT liking) and support. I really like the Glocks for this because there are great forums for support and TONS of after market available.

I am going to look at a Gen4 Glock 19, a compact HK and prob a M&P so far. What else should I add to the list?

Thanks
Jeff

SWATcop556
04-07-10, 09:45
IMO the G19 is the best "do it all" handgun out there. It's small enough to conceal yet large enough to have the feel of a full size. Holds 15 rounds and with good ammo it's extremely lethal.

There have been several recent threads about the G19 with good info. You would do well in carrying one. I do.

Also, for me, the Gen 3 is just fine. No real reason to wait for the Gen 4 unless you just want to.

Littlelebowski
04-07-10, 09:48
Glock 19.

Jeff5886
04-07-10, 09:54
Glock 19.

IMO the G19 is the best "do it all" handgun out there. It's small enough to conceal yet large enough to have the feel of a full size. Holds 15 rounds and with good ammo it's extremely lethal.

There have been several recent threads about the G19 with good info. You would do well in carrying one. I do.

Also, for me, the Gen 3 is just fine. No real reason to wait for the Gen 4 unless you just want to.

Glock 19, thats what I though.

Drew78
04-07-10, 10:03
Glock 19, thats what I though.

I will also echo the comments above. The Glock 19 is one hell of a package. It is fun on the range, it plays a great role for EDC, has a rail if you want to put a light on it for "nightstand use", tons of aftermarket support (almost too much), and easily aquired spare parts.

Also, if you need to work on it to replace parts, I know of no easier platform to maintain than the glock. Heck, even my kids NERF guns are complicated compared to my Glocks. My son just got one for his b-day and upon taking it out of the package, I couldnt believe all the friggin buttons and the manual of arms to make that thing work! kinda made me chuckle...but i digress...

I would give some heavy consideration to the 19 if it feels good to you at the range. Also have heard wonderful things about the M&P line. I myself would have looked into these, but I am already too invested in the Glock platform to make a change and they just plain work for me.

Stick with the 9mm, trust me...:D

Best of luck and let us know what you think after trying them all out.

-Drew

Spurholder
04-07-10, 10:18
Here's another recommendation for a Glock 19.

CyberM4
04-07-10, 10:20
IMO the best 9MM out of the box is the P30. There is nothing to add to this weapon. For compact with H&K look at the USPC.

Business_Casual
04-07-10, 10:50
Since you are determined to modify it - I would not recommend a G19. The whole point of the G19 isn't that it is the best or the most accurate or the most versatile. The point of the G19 is that it is more than the sum of its parts. It is big enough to shoot, but small enough to conceal. It is cheap enough to have it become evidence but of sufficient quality at that price point that it will last for tens of thousands of rounds. Instead of spending money on aftermarket modifications, consider spending it on a second G19 and a bunch of training with tier one trainers.

B_C

Drew78
04-07-10, 10:53
Since you are determined to modify it - I would not recommend a G19. The whole point of the G19 isn't that it is the best or the most accurate or the most versatile. The point of the G19 is that it is more than the sum of its parts. It is big enough to shoot, but small enough to conceal. It is cheap enough to have it become evidence but of sufficient quality at that price point that it will last for tens of thousands of rounds. Instead of spending money on aftermarket modifications, consider spending it on a second G19 and a bunch of training with tier one trainers.

B_C

Good post.

IMO the only thing you need to "modify" on the Glock 19 (or any Glock for that matter) is sights. I dont care for the plastic stock sites that come with it.

And of course a battery of extra mags, ammo, range time, and training!

M4arc
04-07-10, 11:13
I'm a big fan of the G19 because for me it offers a perfect balance between conceal-ability and shoot-ability. Meaning, it’s small enough for me to carry concealed yet big enough to offer the benefits of a bigger gun; full grip, high capacity, decent sight radius, etc.

It's a gun I can carry concealed to a class, shoot the class, then re-holster and drive home. All with one gun! I think that’s important if I’m practicing and training to use a gun in a defensive situation.

It's not the only gun I carry; I carry a G26 sometimes too but the G19 fits most of needs most of the time better than any other gun I've owned or evaluated.

gtmtnbiker98
04-07-10, 11:32
I'm going to break away from the masses and recommend that you at least try the HK P2000, P2000SK, USPc, and/or a P30 if you are leaning towards a 9mm or .40 S&W. The P30 has second to none ergonomics; however, it can be a little tough carrying IWB due to the grip texture.

If you like .45 ACP, then also consider the HK45c or the USPc. The HK45c is an absolute awesome weapon and is easily converted between trigger variants as is the USPc. The HK45c is an updated USP.

If end-user customization is an absolute must (can't imagine what customization would be necessary) then the Glock platform is hard to beat. If it is your one and only weapon for concealed carry, then choose wisely. In addition, if it is a weapon that you'll rely upon day in and day out, you may also want to consider two of the same make and model for the "just in case" scenarios. Two is one and one is none if this happens.

Be sure to let us know what you get.

VooDoo6Actual
04-07-10, 11:38
Easy day,

Glock 19

jsbcody
04-07-10, 11:49
Here is my list in order:

1. G19: You can set it up EXACTLY the way you WANT it. Night sights, Vickers' mag release, maybe a 4.5 trigger or 3.5 +NY1 spring trigger. G19/G17/G26 are IMHO, the best 9mm pistols out there.
2. HK P2000: Damn good pistol, the only thing to add is night sights. I don't like the LEM myself (don't like the "heavy" LEM, never tried a "light" LEM), I have traditional DA/SA in my HK P2000. This is a damn good pistol in .40 caliber.
3. HK P30: I don't have one in 9mm but I did just pick up a .40 V1 model. It is DA/SA and the DA is lighter and smoother than a HK P2000 with a LEM. This is a great pistol in .40 caliber, you can set it up for the perfect grip for you, but I can see where people complained about the grips rubbing them raw when carried next to skin.
4. SW M&P: I just picked one of these up in .40 caliber and put an APEX sear on it. Up until I got the HK P30 (above), this was the most comfortable pistol I have ever shoot. I have a full size model, so I can't comment on the compact models.

Irish
04-07-10, 11:59
Glock 19 Gen 3. Fill out your profile and you might find somebody in your area who's willing to let you shoot their guns to help you eliminate some of your possibilities.

ShipWreck
04-07-10, 12:07
I've owned every 9mm Glock version at some point in time since the early 1990s - They just don't do it for me. I did have a RTF Glock 17 last that I did like - but I got tired of the ejecting cases hitting me in the head unless I shot in isoceles stance. And, I honestly prefer the SA trigger on a standard DA/SA handgun. I ended up selling it last year

I'm just not a fan of the Glock trigger. After numerous guns over the years (I get bored with different models fairly easily, and then want something else), my current concealed carry gun is a Beretta 92FS. I like it much better than a Glock.

The various HK models also make good carry guns as well. I've carried both a 9mm and 45 version of the HK USPc before.

Nothing wrong with a Glock - but try to rent a few guns and see what you end up liking best.

lethal dose
04-07-10, 12:13
1) glock 19
2) kahr cw9
3) cz rami
4) Sig p220 compact
5) ruger sp101

My top five. The glock 19 truely is the do-all pistol. Service proven and highly concealable. Heck, I conceal mine in gym shorts. Love that thing.

CCK
04-07-10, 12:36
As an "only pistol" I would recommend a Glock 23. with a 9mm conversion barrel, and a 357 barrel as well.

A drop in conversion barrel and mags and you have a "19" but you still have the capacity to fire any of the other ammos too.

If you get a 19 you can't up convert it to a 357 or 40.

I only say this because in my neck of the woods last year at this time 9mm was COMPLETELY sold out and 40 was plenty available.

This is coming from someone who owns 4 19s.

Chris

awm14hp
04-07-10, 12:39
G19 for sure

CCK
04-07-10, 12:39
I should add that I would shoot and carry it in the 9mm configuration with the conversion barrel all the time.

Gabe Suarez of Suarez International has done this and has had no issues with conversion barrels.

Chris

SWATcop556
04-07-10, 12:59
One thing to remember is that fir the price of the H&K you can have a G19 a shit-ton of ammo and a shit-ton of mags and a good holster.

Or two G19s with some mags and some ammo.

H&K makes good weapons but they aren't worth the price if admission, so I sold all of mine. Much happier with the Glock.

ShipWreck
04-07-10, 13:08
I should add that I would shoot and carry it in the 9mm configuration with the conversion barrel all the time.

Gabe Suarez of Suarez International has done this and has had no issues with conversion barrels.

Chris

For a defensive gun, I would not rely on a conversion - carry the gun in its original form, and just use the conversion for the range. Not every single specimen of gun, in its converted form, is 100% reliable. Many experts will tell you the same thing. Just my 2 cents...

Palmguy
04-07-10, 13:25
No need to add anything to the list if you ask me...

-G19 (no need to hold out for a Gen 4 IMO)
-P2000/P30 depending on your preference for size/capacity/ergonomics, I like the P2000 better for carry...USPc if you had to have a safety/C&L
-M&P9 (5", 4.25", or 3.5" depending on your preference for size)

All perfectly serviceable choices.

M4arc
04-07-10, 13:36

Chris

First, every single manufacture of Glock (at least) conversion barrels recommends that you do not carry them for SD or HD purposes. Generally they have tighter tolerences than an OEM barrel/chamber and with the Glocks the extractors and ejectors are different not to mention the breech faces.

If you want to take that chance with your well being have at it but it's not something I would recommend to others.

Can Gabe Suarez carry a gun? Wasn't he convicted of a felony at some point? :confused:

lethal dose
04-07-10, 14:32
First, every single manufacture of Glock (at least) conversion barrels recommends that you do not carry them for SD or HD purposes. Generally they have tighter tolerences than an OEM barrel/chamber and with the Glocks the extractors and ejectors are different not to mention the breech faces.

If you want to take that chance with your well being have at it but it's not something I would recommend to others.

Can Gabe Suarez carry a gun? Wasn't he convicted of a felony at some point? :confused:
No felonies.

CCK
04-07-10, 15:09
I love that red herring. Gabe has documented his run ins with the law on numerous occasions.

Gabe not only carries he trains all kinds of people even using class 3 stuff.

Chris

Littlelebowski
04-07-10, 15:10
I love that red herring. Gabe has documented his run ins with the law on numerous occasions.

Chris

Just because someone asks that question does not mean he's attacking Suarez. I know M4arc; he has no vested personal interest in attacking Suarez.

ChipM
04-07-10, 15:14
Glock 19 is a great textbook answer, but shoot other things too. I really, really want to like Glock for a lot of good reasons, but at the end of the day I'm more comfortable shooting a Walther P99.

CCK
04-07-10, 15:16
Just because someone asks that question does not mean he's attacking Suarez. I know M4arc; he has no vested personal interest in attacking Suarez.

I've seen your posts on WT. If you vouch for M4arc, thats good enough for me.

M4arc
04-07-10, 16:09

Chris

I'll admit that I don't know much about him nor do I follow him. I did get on his email list at one point and time but I get so many emails I never got around to reading his.

And it was probably bad form to ask that question in public but at least I know better now and maybe some of our members learned something as well.

I didn't intend to attack or him, I was just asking a question. Hell, I probably shouldn't talk because I carried concealed for over a year before I realized my CCP had expired :eek:

lethal dose
04-07-10, 16:38
I'll admit that I don't know much about him nor do I follow him. I did get on his email list at one point and time but I get so many emails I never got around to reading his.

And it was probably bad form to ask that question in public but at least I know better now and maybe some of our members learned something as well.

I didn't intend to attack or him, I was just asking a question. Hell, I probably shouldn't talk because I carried concealed for over a year before I realized my CCP had expired :eek:
It was a ligit question, I'm sure there'd be no offense on his part. Like I said, no felonies. He is very open about his past and a very humble man. Back on track, gentlemen? :)

JonInWA
04-07-10, 17:06
How YOU index and shoot with a given gun is probably the key criteria, all other factors being equal (i.e., accuracy, reliability, durability, etc.) .

I think that you'll find a strong consensus among knowledgeable and experienced users and trainers, on this forum and others (and in "real life") that you would be well served with a Glock 19 or 17, a HK P30, or a Smith & Wesson M&P for both CCW and duty purposes.

There are certainly many other credible choices out there, but those three platforms are the contemporary stand-outs. You'd go a long way to simplifying things by trying those platforms first to see which one(s) work well for you. Then you can make an objective decision (and throw in other criteria, such as price, ammunition cost/availability, spare magazine availability/cost, etc.).

My personal choice has been to go with the Glock platform. In 9mm, I'd recommend the Gen3 guns at this point over the Gen 4s (currently only the G22 and G17 have been fielded in Gen4 configuration).

Best, Jon

warpigM-4
04-07-10, 17:11
I'm going to break away from the masses and recommend that you at least try the HK P2000, P2000SK, USPc, and/or a P30 if you are leaning towards a 9mm or .40 S&W. The P30 has second to none ergonomics; however, it can be a little tough carrying IWB due to the grip texture.

If you like .45 ACP, then also consider the HK45c or the USPc. The HK45c is an absolute awesome weapon and is easily converted between trigger variants as is the USPc. The HK45c is an updated USP.

If end-user customization is an absolute must (can't imagine what customization would be necessary) then the Glock platform is hard to beat. If it is your one and only weapon for concealed carry, then choose wisely. In addition, if it is a weapon that you'll rely upon day in and day out, you may also want to consider two of the same make and model for the "just in case" scenarios. Two is one and one is none if this happens.

Be sure to let us know what you get.I am a fan of the USP 45 I got one and so far it Has been My fav CCW I have had..

BMcDonald7
04-07-10, 18:23
If you are like me and live in a hot summer environment then I would recommend the M&P 9c. Still holds 12+1 rounds for a compact easily concealable gun. Its a great shooter too....

PrivateCitizen
04-07-10, 19:34
I am going to look at a Gen 3 Glock 19, a compact HK and prob a M&P so far. What else should I add to the list?

To do any credible evaluation of platforms I'd keep it right there and shoot as much through them as you can.

Deviation from here would have very little ROI unless they ALL proved unsatisfactory.

I think board consensus if you had not spec'd a set of models would have been:

G19, M&P9 and HK P30

… in that order.

You're on the right track.

danpass
04-07-10, 19:41
My old G19 was infallible but uncomfortable in my hand.

went with an M&P9 fullsize.

try the compact one

Caeser25
04-07-10, 19:53
I'd recommend against the 220 compact, whoever mentioned it. I used to carry a P245, now called the 220 subcompact, it is one heavy gun weighing down your trousers, although if the op deosn't mind the weight, it's great otherwise, never an issue with it.

MichaelD
04-07-10, 20:44
Looks like I'm officially the first vote for the M&P9c.

Dragon Slayer
04-07-10, 21:15

Chris

As I posted in the other thread, I just got banned from Warrior Talk because I was getting into fights with some lunatic fringe members that were getting banned because of me and it might have been hurting Gabe's business bottom line.

Irrelevant of that after being there for over five years and close to 8000 posts and having made hundreds of friends that I still stay in touch with, I say that Gabe is a good man and most people on WT are my kind of guys and gals, knowledgeable, patriotic, brave and professionals in their fields.

I am sure that CCK knows who I am and also LittleLebowski.

Thanks

Dragon Slayer

Formerly known as "Ike".

Erik 1
04-07-10, 21:17
FWIW, I like my M&P 9c a lot, and if I had to pick between it and my full size as my only handgun, with CCW as the primary consideration, I'd pick the 9c. It conceals much better for me (which is why I bought it in the first place) and is just as comfortable and user friendly as the full size. I have very limited experience with Glocks because I find them very uncomfortable to shoot.

Dragon Slayer
04-07-10, 21:21
BTW I also recommend the Glock 23 if you want to have three guns in one (40, 9mm and 357 Sig), but if you do not care about that then the Glock 19 is the gun to have.

I do have a Glock 23 with a 9mm aftermarket barrel and after thousands of rounds with zero failures I trust it completely with either caliber.

Jeff5886
04-08-10, 17:50
**Update**

Went to the range and played with the Glock 19 today.

Fell in love!

It's on order! 495.00 for a Glock 19 with Trijicon night sights.

Thanks for all the help

Drew78
04-08-10, 18:16
Congrats!!!

Glad the 19 worked out for you, enjoy and be safe.

-drew

ColdDeadHands
04-08-10, 18:39
Check out the HK P2000. You can change back straps to make it fit you hand and with some shopping around you can find it for ~$650, depending on you area (try BIG Gun Shows). Yes aftermarket support is lacking but it has everything you need already. If you want a gun to play with and dress up get a glock.
Also check out Todd G. P30 test, over 90000 rounds with only a few malfunctions and parts replacements. No loss of accuracy. I firmly believe all modern 9mm HK's are as durable.