PDA

View Full Version : Bolt question

Daemonbane
04-07-10, 09:45
So I did a search and read a bit on this and I'm slightly confused. One individual says that the adviso against swapping is due to wearing in, another says just don't so there are no accidents, and another says if it's 'mil-spec' it's only a matter of wear as to why not to.

SO my question is whether it's ok to swap out my bolt on my DPMS lite 16, it's had about 140 to 180 round of .223 remington umc ammo. I wanted to switch bolts primarily after I stripped all the lube off it last week to examine it and grasp the whys and hows of the thing, and I noticed that phosphate or whatever coating it has is wearing rapidly on the bottom lugs, faster then my cousin's BM's bolt and his has seen over 500-800 rounds, he doesn't count.

Would it be advisable to change bolts or should I just think about stripping the upper and using it for parts (I've though about doing a retro build since it's an A1), or something else?

Dos Cylindros
04-07-10, 11:24
With that few number of rounds, you should be good to go in changing as long as you buy a quality bolt (like BCM, LMT). That being said, it would not hurt to buy a 5.56 field headspace gauge to make sure it is safe. But you 99.9999999% will be okay even with more rounds than that. The finish you should not worry about, the bolt is going to get abused no matter what kind you have in there.