PDA

View Full Version : LE6920 vs. LE6921

dwood67
04-07-10, 14:30
Looking for opinions.

I'm buying either a LE6920 or LE6921. I need to decide between the two.

The main difference I know is bbl. length, 16" vs. 14.5" .

What is the difference in price and availability?

Am I missing anything ?

Any thoughts ?

Ramrod615
04-07-10, 14:42
deleted

TOrrock
04-07-10, 14:43
Looking for opinions.

Am I missing anything.

Any thoughts ?

You'll have to add $200.00 to the price of the 6921, which is going to make it more expensive than the 6920. $200.00 for 1.5" of difference isn't worth it to a lot of people.

Also, if you want to take your SBR to another state, you need to file paperwork with the ATF if you want to do it above board, and there are states that you can't have SBR's in.

Bushmaster-M4A3
04-07-10, 15:01
I'd prefer the 14.5" barrel since it looks right, and also should help with timing of action.

Instead of paying more and buying an SBR, what you can do is buy 6920, then replace the barrel (or entire upper) with a Colt 14.5" and permanently pin on flash hider to make it 16" legal. You can sell the 6920 parts to recoup the costs.

Ak44
04-07-10, 15:13
As Temp said the $200 Stamp is the big diff between them. Look at the thread that talks about SBR's in the NFA sub forum. It'll give you some light as to the pros/cons of having a SBR.

IMO the wait and cost of having an 1.5" difference is not worth it. As stated above, buy the 6920 and get a new upper with a perm Flash hider. There is no difference between the two other than the extra barrel length. You can't go wrong with just getting the 6920. Another option is if you really want to get the shorter barrel length, buy the 6920 and form 1 it as a SBR. That way you have something to shoot while you get the stamp and okay from the ATF to throw a shorter barrel on it.

Belmont31R
04-07-10, 15:28
I'd prefer the 14.5" barrel since it looks right, and also should help with timing of action.

Instead of paying more and buying an SBR, what you can do is buy 6920, then replace the barrel (or entire upper) with a Colt 14.5" and permanently pin on flash hider to make it 16" legal. You can sell the 6920 parts to recoup the costs.

Thats basically what I did.

Bought complete Colt non-NFA weapon, sold the upper, and then bought a 6921 complete upper.

With the factory complete 6921 you have to get it registered as an SBR which is a pain at best, and impossible in some places. With a 14.5" you are better off just pinning a FH and be done with it. No hassles, no $200 tax, and its a legal weapon.

bkb0000
04-07-10, 15:38
i have no use for 16" guns.. they serve only to add weight and length to conform to a ****ing retarded, unconstitutional law.

perming isn't a bad option. you can put whatever rails you want on it before you do the perm, or use an omega afterward. But SBRing would be the cow's teats- not only could you run the 14.5 any damn way you like, but you can throw a 10.5/11/12 on there any time you feel like. when you SBR, you're not doing it "just to save an extra 1.5," you're tearing down the gigantic wall of limitations.

dwood67
04-07-10, 16:06
i have no use for 16" guns.. they serve only to add weight and length to conform to a ****ing retarded, unconstitutional law.

perming isn't a bad option. you can put whatever rails you want on it before you do the perm, or use an omega afterward. But SBRing would be the cow's teats- not only could you run the 14.5 any damn way you like, but you can throw a 10.5/11/12 on there any time you feel like. when you SBR, you're not doing it "just to save an extra 1.5," you're tearing down the gigantic wall of limitations.

I understand and agree with your first sentence.

But could you run the rest by me again in layman terms please. I'm new to this game and don't have the jargon down.

Just when I was ready to settle on the LE6920. :D

Thanks

bkb0000
04-07-10, 16:15

But could you run the rest by me again in layman terms please. I'm new to this game and don't have the jargon down.

Thanks

additional information in orange:

perming (permanently attaching a muzzle device to bring the weapon ton a full, title-1 legal 16" length) isn't a bad option. you can put whatever rails (free-floating handguards that require a proprietary barrel nut that requires removal of the gas block, which requires removal of the muzzle device) you want on it before you do the perm, or use an omega (a free floating handguard that doesn't require any dissassembly, they're unique) afterward. But SBRing (registering the weapon with the BATF as a "short barreled rifle [SBR]," thereby allowing you to use any barrel length you want) would be the cow's teats- not only could you run the 14.5 any damn way you like (any muzzle device, not permanently attached), but you can throw a 10.5/11/12 (other short barrels) on there any time you feel like. when you SBR, you're not doing it "just to save an extra 1.5," you're tearing down the gigantic wall of limitations (barrel length restrictions).

i didn't know what you're unclear on, so i did my best. betteR?

dwood67
04-07-10, 16:32
additional information in orange:

perming (permanently attaching a muzzle device to bring the weapon ton a full, title-1 legal 16" length) isn't a bad option. you can put whatever rails (free-floating handguards that require a proprietary barrel nut that requires removal of the gas block, which requires removal of the muzzle device) you want on it before you do the perm, or use an omega (a free floating handguard that doesn't require any dissassembly, they're unique) afterward. But SBRing (registering the weapon with the BATF as a "short barreled rifle [SBR]," thereby allowing you to use any barrel length you want) would be the cow's teats- not only could you run the 14.5 any damn way you like (any muzzle device, not permanently attached), but you can throw a 10.5/11/12 (other short barrels) on there any time you feel like. when you SBR, you're not doing it "just to save an extra 1.5," you're tearing down the gigantic wall of limitations (barrel length restrictions).

i didn't know what you're unclear on, so i did my best. betteR?

Much better, thanks.

Skyyr
04-07-10, 16:38

Thanks

Keep in mind that SBR's are illegal in MI (assuming that is where you're from), so permanently pinning the flash hider on a 14.5" or going for a 16" barrel are your only real options.

dwood67
04-07-10, 16:41
Keep in mind that SBR's are illegal in MI (assuming that is where you're from), so permanently pinning the flash hider on a 14.5" or going for a 16" barrel are your only real options.

Thanks for this information. Yes I'm in Michigan.

There's a chance I may move to West Tennessee in the future. Are SBR's allowed in Tennessee ?

bkb0000
04-07-10, 16:44
Much better, thanks.

as per your original post, i'll also include, in case you don't already know:

the National Firearms Act of 1934 requires that all "title 1" (unregistered, privately owned weapons) have a minimum 16" barrel. so all complete, non-title 2 (registered with the BATF, commonly referred to as "NFA guns") rifles come with a minimum 16.1" barrel installed. the 6921 is an NFA gun... in order to by an un-modified 6921, you need to file a Form 4 with the BATF, pay a $200 fee, and wait 2-6 months for approval. if you buy a regular Colt M4 lower receiver, and buy a 6921 upper seperately, you can then have a 1.7" muzzle device (not all MDs meet this minimum length) pinned/welded to the barrel, bringing it to full title-1 legal length. to save on waiting potentially 6 months before you can take possession of the weapon, if you wanted to "SBR" it, you can do the latter, and then file an ATF Form 1 (to MAKE an SBR), have your gun and shoot it while you wait for approval, and then once you receive your returned/approved Form 1, have the muzzle device removed and/or buy additional short-barreled upper receivers.

in case you're not aware of the applicable laws/procedures involved with 14.5" barreled gun.s

bkb0000
04-07-10, 16:48

ah.. lame. no SBR for you.

dwood67
04-07-10, 16:52
as per your original post, i'll also include, in case you don't already know:

the National Firearms Act of 1934 requires that all "title 1" (unregistered, privately owned weapons) have a minimum 16" barrel. so all complete, non-title 2 (registered with the BATF, commonly referred to as "NFA guns") rifles come with a minimum 16.1" barrel installed. the 6921 is an NFA gun... in order to by an un-modified 6921, you need to file a Form 4 with the BATF, pay a $200 fee, and wait 2-6 months for approval. if you buy a regular Colt M4 lower receiver, and buy a 6921 upper seperately, you can then have a 1.7" muzzle device (not all MDs meet this minimum length) pinned/welded to the barrel, bringing it to full title-1 legal length. to save on waiting potentially 6 months before you can take possession of the weapon, if you wanted to "SBR" it, you can do the latter, and then file an ATF Form 1 (to MAKE an SBR), have your gun and shoot it while you wait for approval, and then once you receive your returned/approved Form 1, have the muzzle device removed and/or buy additional short-barreled upper receivers.

in case you're not aware of the applicable laws/procedures involved with 14.5" barreled gun.s

Thanks for the additional info. I believe I'll start with a LE6920 and go from there. I don't want to pay the government any more than I already do and I don't want to have to file any special form with them either. I wish they'd forget that I exist.

Does the above apply to shotgun's ? If memory serves, isn't an 18" shotgun barrel minimum ?

bkb0000
04-07-10, 16:55
you can't SBR from michigan, but none of these rules apply if you have a permed 14.5. i have, and have had many, non-SBR/non-NFA 14.5 guns with permed muzzle devices.

all the same rules for shotguns, but you're correct- the non-NFA legal minimum is 18

dwood67
04-07-10, 17:02

Yeah but think of all that velocity you're losing. ;)

Skyyr
04-07-10, 17:11

There's a chance I may move to West Tennessee in the future. Are SBR's allowed in Tennessee ?

Yes =) We're VERY gun-friendly here. We also allow ownership of pre-ban machine guns and silencers. No switchblades though =(

warpigM-4
04-07-10, 17:20
I Built a LE6921 Upper and Permed the FH and put it on a Match Target Lower .I hope Alabama will Vote on the SBR repeal soon and then 200 off to the ATF.

I really tried to Get closest to what I trained and carried in the Army .Just missing the go fast switch.But it is One of the Best ARs I have owned, I like the way it handles Better than the 6920, some notice the the different feel, some don't:)
I Love My Colt and so will you

HisDisciple
04-07-10, 18:16
Looking for opinions.

Am I missing anything.

Any thoughts ?

This is the same dilema I am in. I can't have a SBR in my state, but I want to buy a Colt LE 6921 and have the seller pin it for a small fee. Some gentlemen on here told me where to go yesterday, but when I saw the price for a LE 6921 with a pinned barrel at the site they told me, It was almost 2 grand:eek:

I mean Knesekguns has a Colt 6921 for only $1,450. I know a perm. flash hider job dosen't cost $550!

Who can sell us a pinned LE 6921? Grant? Anyone?

TOrrock
04-07-10, 18:29
Since it's a factory SBR, I don't believe you can just pin a flash suppressor on a 6921, not with the original lower receiver.

It would still be in the NFA registry.

If you guys hate a 16" barrel that much, do what other's have suggested, buy a 6920 and then get a Colt 14.5" barrel or an entire upper and pin a flash suppressor long enough to make it to 16".

That's a whole lot of expense to go for and only drop 1.5".

rljatl
04-07-10, 19:20
What are the pro's and con's of having Adco cut down the 6920 barrel and pining an extended A2 to it vs. trying to find and then pin a 6921 barrel?

Caeser25
04-07-10, 19:28
What's the difference in buying a 6921 or buying a 6920 and then sbr-ing it?

HisDisciple
04-07-10, 19:39
Since it's a factory SBR, I don't believe you can just pin a flash suppressor on a 6921, not with the original lower receiver.

If you guys hate a 16" barrel that much, do what other's have suggested, buy a 6920 and then get a Colt 14.5" barrel or an entire upper and pin a flash suppressor long enough to make it to 16".

You are right. I forgot about the lower already being NFA.

I don't hate the 16"I have one. I just wanted a real M4. You are right it is a lot of work just for a 1.5".

Thanks for clearing that up.

Skyyr
04-07-10, 21:00

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Federal law supersedes State law, just because Federal law classifies it as an "SBR" doesn't mean that Michigan state law will. For example, Michigan state law classifies PS-90's as pistols and therefore all state pistol laws apply, not rifle laws. My question is, does Michigan state law expressly prohibit Federally-labeled SBR's, or simply barrels less than 16" length? If the latter, then you COULD own a Federally-registered SBR lower if you re-registered it with a 14.5" perma-pinned barrel.

Again, that's simply my conjecture based on logic and it could be wrong. Even if right, that's still a lot of hoops to jump through.

TOrrock
04-07-10, 22:34
What's the difference in buying a 6921 or buying a 6920 and then sbr-ing it?

You'd have to have someone do the engraving work on the receiver when you SBR a 6920. The factory SBR's -- 6933's and 6921's, already have this done, at Colt.

I'd highly suggest taking a look in the NFA section here on the board for more in depth answers about Short Barrel Rifles.

dwood67
04-08-10, 15:18
[QUOTE=
That's a whole lot of expense to go for and only drop 1.5".[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. I'll probably just buy a LE6920 and leave it alone. I do think that the 14.5" bbl looks much better than the 16" though.
It looks like more of a difference than just 1.5 ", but it isn't.

When comparing the pictures of the LE6920 with the M-4 at the Colt Defense website, maybe the longer magazine in the M-4 vs. the shorter mag in the LE6920 make the bbl. difference look greater.

Sttrongbow
04-08-10, 18:39

If the seller is willing to deregister the lower, then yes, you can. That's what Ken Elmore at SAW does with his LE6921 "Special Edition" rifle. Ken does his "reliability package" as well, so there is some value added. Whether it's worth it, each buyer has to decide.

I bought one on a whim and I'm pleased with it. Dead nuts reliable, and very pretty to look at. I'm building a small Colt collection, and I wanted the rollmark without the tax stamp, so it met my needs.

But from a purely functional point of view, you can get the same effect for a lot less money.

TriumphRat675
04-09-10, 10:10
Clyde Armory sells deregistered 6921 lowers, if that's what floats your boat.