PDA

View Full Version : Which sights do I go with?

Pale Rider
04-07-10, 23:20
I have a Glock 19 with stock sights. I guess night sights will be the most obvious choice since the gun will be used for home defense, although I do have a handheld light and would like to get a pistol mounted light. I know this is probably more of an opinion question but I am looking at 2-dot systems. Which should I go with Warren Tactical or Straight 8's? I also see that they have these in the QWIK or whatever it is called. I like this because I like a thinner front sight post. Which is generally most preferred and will one be tougher than another? Also what about fiber optic front and plain rear since I have a light by my bed? Or if I am gonna spend $80 should I just spend $120 and do it once? Thanks

Sry0fcr
04-07-10, 23:28
Between the 2 you mentioned the Warrens because of the contrasting colors. I wouldn't bother with FO on a defensive gun. Just my opinion.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-07-10, 23:37
I prefer the Warrens (single front dot).

Pale Rider
04-07-10, 23:43
So you just run a blacked out rear? (just making sure I understand you correctly) Do you find it hard to get a good sight picture in very low light conditions?

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-08-10, 02:46
Both the Straight eight Qwik and Warren/sevigny tritium carry sights are terrific.

I prefer the warrens because:

Readily available from retailers (SKD)
White outline around tritium on front sight draws my eye to it similar to how my FO front on my Production gun does
Contrasting front and rear tritium colors, not absolutely necessary on a 2 dot system IMO but a plus none the less

GU

SWATcop556
04-08-10, 08:35
I prefer the Warrens (single front dot).

This is my preference as well and yes the rear sight is just plain black.

Pale Rider
04-08-10, 09:42
This is my preference as well and yes the rear sight is just plain black.

I'm just wondering in a home defense or stressful situation if I would be able to pick up the rear sight. I think for daytime use the blacked out rear would be nice but in low light I'm not so sure. How does it work for you?

javentre
04-08-10, 11:12
I'm just wondering in a home defense or stressful situation if I would be able to pick up the rear sight.

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=587430&postcount=21

Kentucky Cop
07-05-10, 14:29
Not to start a completely new thread, but I am in the same boat also. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 coming in any day know with with the factory plain glock sights. This gun will be for duty also. I have used Trijicons for the past 10 years on the streets. Question is, which sights should I go with. I have been reading multiple threads and need help. These seem to be the big 3 on the forum.

Do I go with ??
Ameriglo's Pro's or Pro Operators with maybe yellow in the rear and green up front http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets

Heine Straight eights? One dot in back and another up front?

Warren Night sights?

or buy some new Trijicons?

I am worried about a black blade in the back as I work night shift. Also, I have always ran all green and am thinking about doing the color combo on whatever I get.

A little help please?

KC

vigilant2
07-05-10, 22:45
FWIW, I've come to realize after being in some recent threads
on this issue, that sights to a certain degree are a subjective
thing. I'm not LEO, but have been shooting and improving
for a while now. I carry CCW. What works for one person
may not work for another. I've carried using standard trijicon
3 dots for a long time. I recently purchased the Warren tactical
2 dot (green w/white outline, yellow rear). I loved them in
daylight, and near total to total darkness, "simply green over
yellow you're a dead fellow" :D. The thinner front sight also makes
for accurate distance shooting. However, in many low light
instances or with darker targets my 48 yr old eyes had problems with vertical alignment, which in turn made proper sight alignment SLOWER or I'd have higher hits than desirable.
Believe me, I wanted them to work for me, but the consistency
wasn't there.
I just last week picked up the Ameriglo Luminova front sight
(green tritium/orange circle) and the ameriglo Pro (not the
operators) yellow rears with the .180 wide notch. After 2 range sessions I have alreadyordered 2 more pairs for my other glocks. This combo is heaven for me. Fast sight acquisition and alignment.Slapped a 6" Shoot NC bullseye on an IPSC target and shot 4 magazines (60rnds)rapid fire at 45ft with all rounds hitting the black, a feat for me. Also the luminova front at .140 is narrower than the factory night
sights so distance accuracy is not a problem.
I'm a happy camper, YMMV.

SWATcop556
07-06-10, 06:48
Night sights really only offer an advantage when conditions are just right. If it is daylight, you don't use the night sights. If it is dark with little to no ambient lighting you will use some form of white light for target ID and shot placement. Using the white light will again render the tritium dots useless. Night sights shine (no pun intended) when you are in an enviroment of low light but enough ambient light to still ID your target without the use of a white light. In this very specific setting you will actually be able to see and use the tritium dots.

On my duty gun I still run a tritium front sight just out of habit and it a comfortable sight picture for me that I've been using for years now. All of my other social handguns are wearing all black metal sights. I daily carry a G19 and G26 that both wear the new Ameriglo Kyle Defoor Glock sights and I really am enjoying this sight setup. On my uniformed/SWAT handgun (G17) I am running the Warrens with a plain rear and a tritium front.

Boris
07-06-10, 22:05
Have you considered a gold bead front and plain black rear?

http://www.10-8performance.com/Glock_Products.html

ck1
07-07-10, 12:17
Night sights really only offer an advantage when conditions are just right. If it is daylight, you don't use the night sights. If it is dark with little to no ambient lighting you will use some form of white light for target ID and shot placement. Using the white light will again render the tritium dots useless. Night sights shine (no pun intended) when you are in an enviroment of low light but enough ambient light to still ID your target without the use of a white light. In this very specific setting you will actually be able to see and use the tritium dots.

On my duty gun I still run a tritium front sight just out of habit and it a comfortable sight picture for me that I've been using for years now. All of my other social handguns are wearing all black metal sights. I daily carry a G19 and G26 that both wear the new Ameriglo Kyle Defoor Glock sights and I really am enjoying this sight setup. On my uniformed/SWAT handgun (G17) I am running the Warrens with a plain rear and a tritium front.

+1, great explanation.

I'm also running the Ameriglo Defoor's and digging them, they're all black and the ratio's are the same as Warren/Sevigny Comp sights just not as tall off the slide (.115"wide front, .150" rear notch, but the height is .165" off the slide instead of .215").
After years of going back and forth I've finally come around to the conclusion that night sights aren't as much of a "must have" as many make them out to be, if you can't see your sights then you can't identify your target and you shouldn't be shooting at it, and overall all-black sights are less confusing to our brains and keep my eyes focused on what's important; the light bars and the top of the front blade... also, tritium vials mean you've got to use at least a .125" wide front (most are more like .140", Glock factory Mepro's are freakin' .160"!) which is a huge downgrade from the space you get with a thinner .115", as far as I'm concerned that extra light-bar space is worth far more than anything glowing dots can provide, and the expense of having that tritium also usually means it makes the sights are busier and poorer overall for the 99% of the time you'll actually be shooting/training with your pistol.
And... even if you decide tritium is the the way, I totally disagree with going to any of the options that mix colors as in yellow in the rear with green up front, talk to any optometrist, more colors just means more confusion to one's eyes (not to mention, based on how human eyes work, putting a bright light 18-20" from your face as you're trying to see at distance in low-light conditions isn't really too smart as it'll just take away from your eyes ability to see at the distance your target is most likely at...) .

Think the exception would be maybe a competition shooter who's going into a match where they're going to face some low-light stages as there's an instance where the difference between a "0" and a "-3" is kind of the whole point... then I think the Warren set-up with the dot-over-dot with the rear dot being dimmer is probably the best option as it'd be the least confusing to how our eyes work.

Ever notice that once your vision adjusts to the dark a light shined at you screws up your sight... I'd check this out, it's a brief article and you can go deeper, but it's probably a good idea to consider how human eyes actually work, especially in low-light as no amount of training will overcome our natural instincts: http://www.gruppelighting.com/v1/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=17&id=748&Itemid=44

JMHO, YMMV.

Irish
07-07-10, 12:32
http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=587430&postcount=21

I respect Todd's opinion and most everyone's but the fact of the matter is it's an opinion on what works best for him due to his experience. Ken Hackathorn is an advocate of the single tritium in front and I'm sure we can agree he probably has just as much experience as any other gunslinger out there.

I really think it comes down to practicing different setups in different lighting situations and environments and finding out what works best for you. Although I haven't used the single front setup yet I can see a lot of hypothetical advantages to going this route.

DBake
07-07-10, 21:48
Just picked up a new set of the 10-8 with brass bead front for $50 to be put on my new Gen 4 19. To good of a deal to pass on. I'll let you know how they work out for me.

skyugo
07-07-10, 23:15
i like trijicon green/yellow 3 dot sights.
i've yet to mess around with an of the 2 dot notch style sights.
i have xs big dots on my g26.. don't like them. they're not really faster and they're decisively less accurate.
the 2 dot thing is kinda cool in the dark, but slightly ambiguous about elevation. if i do have time to line up the sights i'd like to think that i'll know my POI exactly.

lethal dose
07-08-10, 00:28
Ymmv. I HATED my warren sights. Sold 'em. Honestly, I shoot the stock sights with a black painted rear best.

opmike
07-08-10, 00:42
Ymmv. I HATED my warren sights. Sold 'em. Honestly, I shoot the stock sights with a black painted rear best.

Care to elaborate on what, specifically, you "HATED" about them?

OP,

I personally am a big fan of either Heine or Warren Tactical sights. I prefer them with a plain rear, Tritium front for defensive purposes or plain rear, plain front, for competition shooting.

I find having having junk on the rears distracting for my eyes.

SWATcop556
07-08-10, 05:15

Thanks for those sights BTW. My backup G17 needed a set and now mirrors my duty gun. Sights are very personal preference oriented items and what works for one will not for another.

I have a G19 wearing a set of 10-8's with a brass bead front. And while I love the sights over all, the target is obscured by the large rear sight. I also prefer a smooth rear vs the serrated. Not bad sights but after running two different setups on a G17 and a G19 for about two years now I prefer the Warrens or the Defoors.