PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS over a Glock 26?!?

Drew78
04-08-10, 06:54
So I was on another forum last night killing time and I ran across a thread where the OP was asking for opinions on wether he should invest in a Walther PPS 9mm or a Glock 26 for his EDC gun.

So I am thinking, oh boy, here comes yet another Glock love fest which I was more than happy to oblige....but

Almost every friggin reply on a 2 page thread was for the PPS. To say I was kind of shocked is an understatement. The biggest thing for folks on this board was the difference in thickness between the two. For my build, thickness has very little to do with selecting a CCW piece. I carry either a Glock 19 or 26 every day, all day with no issues and I am not a big guy; 5'-7" and 170 lbs.

So I thought I would bring the question over here to this group of guys "in the know" and ask, whats the scoop on the PPS? Is it really a proven, reliable, tier 1 platform like the Glock?

-Drew

dbrowne1
04-08-10, 07:05
I don't know that the PPS has much of a track record or reputation one way or another, at least nothing that stands out from what I have seen or heard.

The Glock 26 (and all 9mm Glocks) have a long and proven track record of reliable service.

Seems like an easy decision to me unless you're into being the guinea pig.

M4arc
04-08-10, 07:52
I don't know...

I'm certainly intersted in the PPS as A carry gun but I can't see it being and EDC gun.

I'd have to shoot one and go from there.

ChicagoTex
04-08-10, 08:25
I dumped my G26 for the PPS, primarily because the PPS was pocket-carryable due to it's extra thinness.

My PPS 9mm has been an absolutely reliable tier-1 piece. The big surprise was my PPS is also more accurate than my G26 was (though my G26 was certainly no slouch in this regard).

The one thing you'll hear people whine about the most in re: the PPS is a failure-to-reset issue that's caused by failing to lubricate the disconnector area thoroughly. Keeping that at least decently lubed cures all FTR issues for most owners.

Note: I've heard, generically, of much more serious problems problems with the .40 iterations of the PPS, but haven't paid much attention since I bought in 9mm, just as God intended ;)

9mm_shooter
04-08-10, 08:28
I have both. The PPS is a little bit thinner due to a thinner slide and single stack magazine. The backstrap of the PPS is interchangeable - with two options: hump or flat. Those of us that like the Glock trigger will tolerate the PPS one, because it is longer, grittier and has a sluggish reset. The PPS magazine release is odd - a lever that is located underneath the trigger guard. The PPS magazines are expensive, come in 6, 7 and 8 round capacity. They have two sharp little projections behind them, that if you don't shave them off, they will probably cut you during rapid mag changes someday.

That being said, I like the PPS because it is an excellent carry gun if you want something very flat and concealable. I managed to improve the trigger by polishing the contact surfaces and shoot the hell out of it. It is reliable - with no FTF/FTE so far after almost 1500 rnds. I also plan to get night sights for it someday.

Walther makes holsters for it, but many holsters that fit G26 will also fit the PPS.

rudy99
04-08-10, 09:28
I must admit the PPS looks like a very appealing gun, given how thin it is. I lump it in the same class as the Kahr PM9, Kel-tec PF-9 and the Taurus 709 Slim (from a size perspective only). The last time I looked at the PPS, I physically could not work the mag release while holding the gun. I'm willing to give it another shot though in my quest for a CCW and if it doesn't work out the G26 will be my next choice.

FWIW, looks like Raven doesn't make a holster for the PPS.

Nathan_Bell
04-08-10, 09:40
Have a PPS, probably won't keep it. It runs great, but as I posted in a thread a bit ago, it is almost too small to run well if you have larger than average hands.

Its narrowness is actually its failing in my experience. With the flush bottom magazine in the pistol, there isn't enough area for my paws to get a solid grip on it.

If you have average or smaller sized hands it is a nice piece, the slight difference in its overall width compared to a a Glock really make carrying it much simpler.

BSHNT2015
04-08-10, 09:47
My Lt bought the Walther PPS sight unseen and is his EDC, yet he's never fired a rd in it yet. :rolleyes: I offered to walk him to our range to fire the weapon. I have not fired the weapon myself but did handle the weapon at the SHOT last year. Very thin compared with the G26. I haven't heard too much about the PPS. Tough call, proven
weapon system or new wiz bang ?

Drew78
04-08-10, 09:47
Good feedback fellas!

I must admit that I have been interested in them and fondled a few in my local shop, way thin compared to my Glocks...

Problem for me is that I can hide my Glocks, even with a tucked in shirt with the right holster. I think I would rather deal with a bit thicker pistol that has more capacity then the opposite.

Guess that makes me a "capacity whore" ;)

gtmtnbiker98
04-08-10, 10:05
Lots of issues in the first run and for many, if you have to ask the serial number range, then it's hands off for a carry weapon IMO. Many of the problems as noted on other forums were cleared in the AC serial prefix range. If it were me, I'd stick with the tried and true G26.

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 10:12
The PPS9 might be one of the best kept secrets out there.

S&W is also running a free mag rebate right now.

C4

Powder_Burn
04-08-10, 10:14
Problem for me is that I can hide my Glocks, even with a tucked in shirt with the right holster.

The strength of the PPS is as a large pocket carry gun or as IWB under thin clothing. If you can already do this w/a G26, no real 'need' to acquire a PPS. I can't hide my M&P9c under a t-shirt adequately so the PPS fills this role. No doubt the PPS definitely needs to be lubed and will be less tolerant to neglect than a Glock. It also is tight and gritty at first. However, the PPS retains a definite concealment advantage for those that need it.

Pic shamelessly lifted from a forum or Gunblast long ago comparing PPS to a J-frame:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/Powder_Burn/Forum%20Posts/J-FramevsPPS.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/Powder_Burn/Forum%20Posts/J-FramevsPPS-Side.jpg

Drew78
04-08-10, 10:26
Man that thing is thin... I guess there is always something to be said about that. That J-frame looks well loved too! Looks like Jeff Quinn's?

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 10:29
To me, the PPS is kind has the best of both worlds (Glock like trigger with an HK mag release).

Kind of interesting. As an HK P7M8 fan, the setup of the PPS is appealing as it is even thinner, same round count, lighter and cheaper.

C4

M4arc
04-08-10, 10:48
I think I'd have a hard time coming to grips with a 6-7 rounds primary CCW. I think it would be great as a secondary or something like a quick trip to the grocery store gun.

I guess I need to shoot one before I make any judgement calls or develop an opinion.

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 10:52
I think I'd have a hard time coming to grips with a 6-7 rounds primary CCW. I think it would be great as a secondary or something like a quick trip to the grocery store gun.

I guess I need to shoot one before I make any judgement calls or develop an opinion.

According to Mr. Hackathorn, most CCW encounters are 1-2 rounds.

If you cannot get out of a bad situation with 6-8rds, that is what they make spare mags for. :D

C4

M4arc
04-08-10, 10:57
According to Mr. Hackathorn, most CCW encounters are 1-2 rounds.

If you cannot get out of a bad situation with 6-8rds, that is what they make spare mags for. :D

C4

He would certainly know but I'm clinging to the "carry the biggest gun you can get away with" philosophy.

ChicagoTex
04-08-10, 10:59
Have a PPS, probably won't keep it. It runs great, but as I posted in a thread a bit ago, it is almost too small to run well if you have larger than average hands.

I have quite large hands (A 92FS doesn't entirely fill them) and am able to run my PPS better than I could my G26.

C4IGrant
04-08-10, 11:00
He would certainly know but I'm clinging to the "carry the biggest gun you can get away with" philosophy.

Oh I agree. In the summer months though (T-shirts and such), that means smaller weapons.

C4

ChicagoTex
04-08-10, 11:00
I'm clinging to the "carry the biggest gun you can get away with" philosophy.

That's a damn good philosophy, but it's nice to have smaller guns for when bigger guns aren't feasible or convenient.

ChicagoTex
04-08-10, 11:02
for many, if you have to ask the serial number range, then it's hands off for a carry weapon IMO.

I'll first admit I have an AD-prefix PPS.

But using that rationale would keep you from several great weapons, including M&Ps and (debateably) the Glock 19.

ColdDeadHands
04-08-10, 18:07
My PPS has been an awesome Concealed Carry Gun. Yes, the trigger was a bit "gritty" when I first got it but I fired 650 rounds thru it so far and it smoothed quite out a bit. I have also had Zero malfunctions so far with it and never cleaned it & it's never seen a drop of lube. This gun is gtg if you need something that conceals great even when you are wearing a semi tight t-shirt.
The mag base plates are kinda awkward, especially the ones on the 6 rounder.

RebelKangaroo
04-10-10, 17:36
I love my PPS. Over 500 rounds without a problem and it practically disappears on me, especially in the summer time.

I think of it as a single stack Glock with better ergonomics and a Euro-style mag release.

It is a bit tighter tolerance wise then other guns. I had issues with return to battery - but only after I inserted a new magazine - for the first 25-ish rounds, then it worked flawlessly. This doesn't bother me since I had not cleaned it yet and was firing it factory new. Even then, from what I've read, with some lube on the disconnector and more round count the gun wears in quickly and this isn't a problem.

After 200+ rounds the trigger has smoothed up nicely as well.

My only complaint so far is after extended range sessions it becomes uncomfortable to the hand. A grip from Limbsaver has cured that problem. I don't carry it with the Limbsaver though, as its only after several magazines that it even starts to become uncomfortable. My friend who has one doesn't have that problem, but his hand is slightly smaller so that may help.

Either way, very nice gun and I prefer it by far over the similar size Kahr and Kel Tecs as the PPS is just large enough to be mostly comfortable and has much better sights.

Lee Indy
04-10-10, 18:02
how does it compare in size to say a kahr cw9?

ChicagoTex
04-10-10, 18:16
how does it compare in size to say a kahr cw9?

I carried a CW40 for a year and a half. With the 7 round magazine, the PPS is just about the same size. The 6 rounder brings the grip length more in line with PM/MKs (though is still a bit longer than those). The 8 rounder will bring you into T-series territory, which is cool at the range, but isn't terribly useful for concealment purposes.

Lee Indy
04-11-10, 03:01
its a toss between the two for the wifes new CCW

ChicagoTex
04-11-10, 04:43
its a toss between the two for the wifes new CCW

Kahr QC can be spotty. Mine was fine, but many have reported less favorable results, it's worse with the polymer guns.

The CW series has a pinned front sight, so Night Sights aren't possible for it.
The CW series has sharp edges, they're rough on your holster but generally don't bite during operation.
Kahr recommends in their manual that you load from slide lock because cartridges have trouble chambering when you rack it by hand (the tolerances for feeding are THAT tight), no such problems with the Walther. I will admit the hand-rack feeding on Kahrs improves with break in.

Now, for the reason I dumped my Kahr CW and will never, ever, ever, ever consider another polymer Kahr as long as I live despite the fact that mine was good to me: the mag release sticks out ALOT but doesn't have enough slack in it's travel to be trimmed down. I can't tell you how often during my daily carry I'd found my Kahr had popped it's magazine (not enough for it go flying out or anything, but enough that if I fired it, it definetely wouldn't feed the next round). Note that I carried right handed IWB, other carry methods may be less vulnerable to this.
I've carried a lot of different guns from different manufacturers and my Kahr CW was the only gun I experienced this problem with. I suspect it's less of a problem on the steel models, though, as the grip panels stick out past the mag release.

I replaced my Kahr with a G26, which I replaced with my PPS for the reasons listed above (basically it came down to pocket-carryability and slightly better control and accuracy).

The PPS is, quite literally for my money, the best concealment 9mm in the world.

Beat Trash
04-11-10, 12:05
Ok, dumb question time...

I own a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26.

The Glock 26 lives in a Fist kydex pocket holster. Great gun and very shootable, but chunky to pocket carry, only really works in cargo type pockets.

The Kahr PM9 is easy to carry, but almost too small to grab in a hurry. Mine is reliable. For it's size, it's shootable, but not as much as the Glock 26. My shooting with the Glock 26 is close enough to my skill level with a full size gun that I don't worry about not having something bigger. My skill level with the PM9, not so.

The PPS appears to be about the same size, as the Glock 26, except for the width.

Can one effectively pocket carry the PPS? For a pocket gun, I like the idea of the PPS magazine release.

I refuse to go below 9mm for any type of carry gun.

I only really pocket carry on occasion. I usually carry a Glock 19 year round in a IWB tuckable kydex holster.

ChicagoTex
04-11-10, 12:40
Can one effectively pocket carry the PPS?

I've been doing so for the past 6 months in jeans or dress slacks with zero complaints, sometimes in extremely public environments.

Beat Trash
04-11-10, 13:53
I've been doing so for the past 6 months in jeans or dress slacks with zero complaints, sometimes in extremely public environments.

Which magazine do you use while pocket carrying your gun? The 6 rd, or the 7 rd?

I am seriously considering buying a PPS. The price of the PPS magazines is ridiculous, but the current promotion will at least provide a second magazine.

ChicagoTex
04-11-10, 14:05
Which magazine do you use while pocket carrying your gun? The 6 rd, or the 7 rd?

The 6 rounder, the 7 makes the grip too long for pocket carry IMO.

In re: mag prices, I seem to recall some time ago Grant of G&R Tactical mentioning that they could sell PPS mags for $30 apiece a few months ago, might wanna check with him if you're planning to stock up. (I myself never carry an extra magazine, so I'm fine just having a 6 rounder and a 7 rounder).

Bulldog7972
04-12-10, 08:17

Why? Would not this or several other guns such as a S&W 3913,3953 or a Sig 239 be more than adequate as carry weapons for a person that wanted to ccw? Factor in carrying an extra mag and you now have 12-17 rounds in a smaller overall package. I've never understood the need for regular citzens to carry all these high capacity 9's for ccw. I can understand it for a policeman or a soldier but for the average guy only looking to defend himself or his loved ones doesn't a gun like the PPS fit the bill? I mean we carry not to intervene in say a bank robbery or something of that nature, right? Or am I missing something in all of this?

Drew78
04-12-10, 08:41
Why? Would not this or several other guns such as a S&W 3913,3953 or a Sig 239 be more than adequate as carry weapons for a person that wanted to ccw? Factor in carrying an extra mag and you now have 12-17 rounds in a smaller overall package. I've never understood the need for regular citzens to carry all these high capacity 9's for ccw. I can understand it for a policeman or a soldier but for the average guy only looking to defend himself or his loved ones doesn't a gun like the PPS fit the bill? I mean we carry not to intervene in say a bank robbery or something of that nature, right? Or am I missing something in all of this?

I am not LE or Mil but here are the reasons I chose to carry as many rounds IN the gun. For me its either a Glock 19 (15+1) or a Glock 26 (10+1) for my EDC.

-I don't look for trouble, but if it finds me I want as many rds in the gun on tap aspossible. I would rather not rely on a reload in a high stress dynamic situation like that.

-everything in life is a compromise, including carry rigs. When I have to chose btw having no gun on me or myu 5 shot Ruger LCR, guess which I take. Would I rather have my Glock? You bet, but 5 rds is better than 0.

This is my thinking on the subject. I am not saying that a pistol with 6 rds isn't enough. If you are GTG with it go forward with confidence!

The arguement that the average joe dosent need a "high cap" pistol platform is a dangerous one. Who's to say what I need or want, no one but me. Careful with that one...

-Drew

Bulldog7972
04-12-10, 09:41
Perhaps your right. I remember reading recently on another forum about the Navy SEALS carrying the 239 when they are on low profile missions in plainclothes or some of the Air Marshals carrying the 239 because it's more easily concealed. I figured if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for me. Maybe that post influenced my thoughts on this subject. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

palmbeach31
04-12-10, 10:05
Ok, dumb question time...

I own a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26.

The Glock 26 lives in a Fist kydex pocket holster. Great gun and very shootable, but chunky to pocket carry, only really works in cargo type pockets.

The Kahr PM9 is easy to carry, but almost too small to grab in a hurry. Mine is reliable. For it's size, it's shootable, but not as much as the Glock 26. My shooting with the Glock 26 is close enough to my skill level with a full size gun that I don't worry about not having something bigger. My skill level with the PM9, not so.

The PPS appears to be about the same size, as the Glock 26, except for the width.

Can one effectively pocket carry the PPS? For a pocket gun, I like the idea of the PPS magazine release.

I refuse to go below 9mm for any type of carry gun.

I only really pocket carry on occasion. I usually carry a Glock 19 year round in a IWB tuckable kydex holster.

Why don't you carry the g26 IWB? Does carrying the g19 IWB feel about the same carrying the g26 IWB?

Drew78
04-12-10, 10:12
Perhaps your right. I remember reading recently on another forum about the Navy SEALS carrying the 239 when they are on low profile missions in plainclothes or some of the Air Marshals carrying the 239 because it's more easily concealed. I figured if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for me. Maybe that post influenced my thoughts on this subject. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Its all good! I was just tossing out my thoughts. There are some times when only a small pistol will do. Thankfully we have access to them.

-drew

Beat Trash
04-12-10, 11:12
Why don't you carry the g26 IWB? Does carrying the g19 IWB feel about the same carrying the g26 IWB?

With my IWB holster, I could carry the Glock 26 IWB. But I can conceal the Glock 19 just as well as the Glock 26 IWB, and I really can't notice the difference. So if going IWB, it's a Glock 19.

What I am looking for is a pocket gun for those infrequent times I am not carrying IWB (I carry IWB most of the time in the summer, using a tuckable type kydex holster.).

I have a Fist #5 Kydex holster for my Glock 26. Works as well as can be expected, in cargo type shorts pockets. I can shoot it almost as well as the Glock 19, and have confidence in my ability to shoot it under stress.

I own a Kahr PM9. Mine is reliable, but it's so small that under stress, it fells too small. My confidence with shooting this under stress, especially at distances, is not up to par with my Glock 26.

I am thinking the PPS might be a compromise between these two guns. Easier to pocket carry than the Glock 26, yet more shootable than the PM9.