PDA

View Full Version : GEMTECH Halo Suppressor

VA_Dinger
07-15-06, 20:00
Did anybody see this thread over on the Lightfighter forum?

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/1541068152

I will have to say this suppressor looks very interesting to say the least. It's QD and does not need a special barrel mount. It mounts right up to a standard A2 FS. The limited accuracy testing from the poster sounds promising. Anybody have any addition info on this model? How much do they normally retail for?

dubb-1
07-16-06, 13:14
Here (http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine2.cfm?brand=Silencers&page=) you can find the HALO. It is one of my favorite cans because of its performance and versatility. Everyone should have a HALO, OPS INC 15th, and a Surefire, IMO.:D Oddly enough, the HALO is inexpensive. You get much more than you pay for with this one!

Forest
07-16-06, 13:46
Does the Halo work with the Vortex? All of my 14.5" carbines have Vortex flash supressors.

dubb-1
07-16-06, 14:01
The HALO is designed to be used with all milspec 22mm flash hiders (A2, birdcage, KAC, etc). It is not a CDI suppressor, it is more utilitarian in design. No special $50 adapters, etc. Just a standard M4 and you're good to go...

SuicideHz
07-29-06, 02:12
To answer your question Forest, I'd ask Gemtech. I thought the vortex was too long for the Halo.

dubb-1
07-29-06, 07:32
The answer remains as I stated above. It doesn't work on the Vortex...

ANGST
07-29-06, 07:57
Do they work on 10.5" barrels ?

dubb-1
07-29-06, 08:37
Yes, however the general benefit of using an 11.5 is real.

Beren
07-29-06, 08:50
I /believe/ the HALO is the same internally as the M4-96D, can anyone confirm? Just the mounting system is different? The HALO was on my short list to buy; I bought the 96D because a local SOT had a demo can available at a discount. If performance is equiv. between the two, you will probably be happy with the HALO.

The 96D is not "Hollywood quiet." On the 11.5" upper I had, it sounded like a .22 LR or .22 Mag. You will also get noise and echoes from downrange when the bullet breaks the sound barrier. I have a 10.5" upper now, but haven't had a chance to mount the bi-lock. (See, if I had a HALO I wouldn't need to worry about mounting the freaking bi-lock, would I?)

You may want to consider the SRT Typhoon or Gemtech M4-02. Both are smaller units designed to make SBRs "ear safe" without adding as much length or weight as the fuller-size suppressors. (I can't say for sure on the "ear safe" part, though. The Typhoon advertises that it'll reduce an 11.5" AR-15 to 139db.) Both are thread-mounted. It depends whether your goal is "as quiet as possible" or "quiet but less bulk."

Henry at Title II can give you a price quote on the HALO. As with most large purchases, it's best to try and get a couple of quotes first.

SuicideHz
07-29-06, 09:40
Sorry dubb-1, I was trying to clarify that you didn't just forget to list the Vortex when you stated "A2, birdcage, KAC, etc" and that you meant to exclude it for a reason...

dubb-1
07-29-06, 20:25
Suicide, no harm, no foul.;)

SHIVAN
08-01-06, 10:54
While it is of great interest to everyone what the inventory levels at AAC look like for a particular product, this is not the thread for such matters. Continuing posts that foster aggression will not be tolerated here.

If someone would like to discuss the topic of AAC inventory, please start a new thread, check the attitude at the door, and discuss the matter like adults.

KevinB
08-01-06, 11:06
I removed all the unrelated comments (with the exception of Shivan's)

I am aware of some of the underlying feelings here, and it will not be tolerated.

There is to be no slagging of products or manufacturers -- nor is there to be any "shilling" and pushing products in unrelated threads.

RustedAce
08-01-06, 21:41
Ive got one, I love it, swap it around between 4 uppers. For me it makes it quiet enough to shoot with no ear pro on with my 11.5.

I must admit I dont have any other silincer experiance though.

I just wish I could figure out how to clean out the thing, its full of carbon.:(

SethB
08-01-06, 22:12
I shot one on an 11.5, and it is quiet. And massive. Depends on what you are looking for.

QuietShootr
08-01-06, 22:13
Ive got one, I love it, swap it around between 4 uppers. For me it makes it quiet enough to shoot with no ear pro on with my 11.5.

I must admit I dont have any other silincer experiance though.

I just wish I could figure out how to clean out the thing, its full of carbon.:(

It shouldn't need cleaning, really, but if you really want to you could soak it in 50/50 Kroil and Shooter's Choice for two or three days. That's what I use for my .22 cans and it really lifts the gunk out.

RustedAce
08-01-06, 23:06
It shouldn't need cleaning, really, but if you really want to you could soak it in 50/50 Kroil and Shooter's Choice for two or three days. That's what I use for my .22 cans and it really lifts the gunk out.

Thanks.

I really want to clean the thing, it must have doubled in weight since I got it from build up.

Robb Jensen
08-12-06, 10:34
My wife (9x19 here) is thinking about either selling her M496 or having Gemtech convert it to either a G5 or HALO. They can do it but I forget how much they charge.

USMC03
08-12-06, 10:45
My wife (9x19 here) is thinking about either selling her M496 or having Gemtech convert it to either a G5 or HALO. They can do it but I forget how much they charge.

To convert the M4 96D over to a G5 or Halo configuration it in the $150 to $200 price range.

My 96D was converted over to a G5 and a friend has his 96D converted over to a HALO.