PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Irons

brianc3
04-08-10, 20:08
Hello, just wanted to say that I have been on this site a little while and have learned a great many things. I just finished 16" mid length build and took her to the range for the maiden voyage. Everything functioned flawlessly. My issue is with the rear sight, I am using a YHM flip up rear that adjusts for windage only, I have done many searches and understand the concept of poa/poi. My problem is that as a relatively inexperienced rifle shooter with no formal training I had to adjust the rear sight quite a way over to the left to get shots on center, everything I read says right in the middle or mechanical zero should be pretty close and not need too many adjustments. I am zeroing in at 50yds and using 55gr bullets. Is there anything literature wise that can explain the process from the ground up? I am talking proper Cheek weld proper sight alignment etc. or is the rear sight adjustment that far left normal? thanks for any help.

Captains1911
04-08-10, 20:39
How many clicks left did you have to move it? I have owned a few rifles that had to have the rear sight moved 15 or so clicks to be zeroed, others were almost dead on with mechanical zero. If the FSB is canted some more windage adjustment may be necessary than if it weren't canted. As lone as it' not moved over as far or almost as far as possible, it should be ok. Make sure you are using proper sight picture, meaning the tip of the FSP is centered in the rear aperture.

brianc3
04-08-10, 20:46
How many clicks left did you have to move it? I have owned a few rifles that had to have the rear sight moved 15 or so clicks to be zeroed, others were almost dead on with mechanical zero. If the FSB is canted some more windage adjustment may be necessary than if it weren't canted. As lone as it' not moved over as far or almost as far as possible, it should be ok. Make sure you are using proper sight picture, meaning the tip of the FSP is centered in the rear aperture.

I didn't keep exact count of the clicks but it is probably about halfway between center and all the way left.

spamsammich
04-08-10, 21:04
unless it hampers your ability to zero at further distances, just leave it alone. Your front sight is probably just a little bit canted.

ForTehNguyen
04-08-10, 21:44
I didn't keep exact count of the clicks but it is probably about halfway between center and all the way left.

couple of my ARs are like this, i dont think its a problem

A-Bear680
04-09-10, 07:00
What they said.
Unless or until other problems surface , just go shoot and enjoy the gun you built.

ETA:
For written info on basic shooting:
A decent starting point might be the current USMC or US Army manuals. Copies of both the marksmanship manuals for shooting and the maint manuals for cleaning , lub , etc , etc , would give a beginner a decent knowledge base and answer many of the standard error-net questions.

brianc3
04-09-10, 13:42
What they said.
Unless or until other problems surface , just go shoot and enjoy the gun you built.

ETA:
For written info on basic shooting:
A decent starting point might be the current USMC or US Army manuals. Copies of both the marksmanship manuals for shooting and the maint manuals for cleaning , lub , etc , etc , would give a beginner a decent knowledge base and answer many of the standard error-net questions.

Thanks. The Army manuals I was looking at all referenced sighting adjustments using the sight on the rear carry handle which is different from mine, I wasn't sure how to "translate" that into a flip down rear (no 6/3 or 8/3 to start with).