PDA

View Full Version : Pollen!

M4arc
04-08-10, 21:39
Is anyone else being hammered by all this pollen? Not only is it making me sneeze constantly and has my eyes watering but today I went to do some dry firing and my G19 had a yellowish tint to it! Nothing is safe from this crap!!!

QuietShootr
04-08-10, 21:40
****ing hate it. I'm popping Zyrtec like Pez.

Ak44
04-08-10, 21:42
My eyes are so bloodshot, I could cry tears of blood. Thank god for this thunderstorm in MD. Seems like once allergy medicine goes over the counter it loses its power. Claratin ain't doing it for me anymore like it use to back in the day.

El Vaquero
04-08-10, 21:49
Its been pretty bad here in Texas. My Allegra is working overtime. All our cars have that yellow dusting of pollen. Sucks

QuietShootr
04-08-10, 21:51
My eyes are so bloodshot, I could cry tears of blood. Thank god for this thunderstorm in MD. Seems like once allergy medicine goes over the counter it loses its power. Claratin ain't doing it for me anymore like it use to back in the day.

You just aren't taking enough of it, brother!

rljatl
04-08-10, 21:54
Zyrtec D for me.

Dragon Slayer
04-08-10, 21:57
Same thing here in the pacific northwest but it is mostly tree pollen and it is green this is the worst I have had it in a long time.:(

perna
04-08-10, 22:00
I wasnt thinking and had my windows open and turned on my whole house fan, now everything in my house is yellow.

M4arc
04-08-10, 22:02
I wasnt thinking and had my windows open and turned on my whole house fan, now everything in my house is yellow.

LOL! :D

I couple of days ago I left the widows open in my home office and everything was covered in a fine layer of it. I had to spend over an hour cleaning before I could sit down and do any work.

BrianS
04-08-10, 22:03
I am pretty sure I had the swine flu last week, last thursday and friday I slept almost all day. This week I was just starting to feel like I was getting over it and today have been having severe allergies with sneezing attacks all day.

:rolleyes:

Avenger29
04-08-10, 22:36
That shit is about to kill me. Nothing is putting a dent in it. This year just seems worse than previous years.

It'd be one thing if it was sinus issues...I've got a sinus rinse kit to deal with that lickety split. It's pretty much all in the throat for me, causing me to cough and wheeze...it feels like my pneumonia is coming back.

The air is choking with the yellow crap, it's covering everything. I'm doing photography outside and my camera lens is getting coated with it, it's that bad. I'm seeing yellow clouds of it floating a few feet off the ground, no shit, and the air is very hazy because of it being constantly suspended. It's almost surreal.

orionz06
04-08-10, 22:52
I have been allergy pill free for 6 months and the pollen is destroying me. I have used a neti pot a few times and I am back in business. I strongly suggest them for anyone with sinus issues and allergies. Might not deal with the itchy eyes, but breathing is improved.

I was taking zyrtec and other decongestants as needed, and often times was so stuffed up I couldn't function.

Robb Jensen
04-08-10, 23:02
I take non-prescription Zyrtec and prescription Flonase (nasal spray) daily year round for allergies, it works very well for seasonal allergies and for daily stuff like my cat, mold, dust etc.

During the worst part of pollen season in the spring I also take non-prescription Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (aka generic Benadryl) at nighttime before bed.

perna
04-08-10, 23:52
I am so happy it is pouring rain right now.

Rider79
04-09-10, 02:26
Pollen? What's that?

:D

Honu
04-09-10, 02:30
so its not just me :)

frigin have not been this bad in years

tinman44
04-09-10, 03:00
I was standing in the rain a week or so ago. A bystander says "yer gettin wet young man" I said "I'm washing the pollen off" I was lovin it, everyone else was running around like it was acid rain.

Quiet-Matt
04-09-10, 05:24
We have a maine-coon cat that wrecks my allergies anyway, so I take zyrtec year round for that. My pharmacist is a friend of mine and she keeps a stock of non-perscription generic zyrtec on hand. I get a three month supply for $8. Chattanooga sits in a valley and the vegetation is THICK! this place is like the land of the lost some times. I work outside and the zyrtec seems to help with poison ivy as well, it doesn't seem to bother me as bad. It's funny when allergy season hits, I feel like some two bit drug dealer with the guys as work wanting me to pick them up some of that cheap zyrtec. :D

vaglocker
04-09-10, 07:52
My ears and sinuses have been plugged for about two weeks now. I can handle the sinuses, but the ears drive me crazy.

doorman
04-09-10, 08:28
I am in south Alabama and my white car looks like a cat peed all over it at night when I come out in the morning, not to mention the piles of pollen from all the oaktrees everywhere. This is killing me

Belmont31R
04-09-10, 08:49
Yeah we've all been hit with the allergies. Caused me to get a sinus infection actually.

Our cars are yellow now. I took my 350Z through a car wash, and by the time I got home it had a dusting on it. Hate it, and I don't remember ever seeing anything like this. Need a good downpour to wash all the crap out.

Sam
04-09-10, 08:55
I take non-prescription Zyrtec and prescription Flonase (nasal spray) daily year round for allergies, it works very well for seasonal allergies and for daily stuff like my cat, mold, dust etc.

During the worst part of pollen season in the spring I also take non-prescription Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (aka generic Benadryl) at nighttime before bed.

You're my hero sir.

I also take generic Zyrtec and generic Benedryl. One Zyrtec pill in the morning and one Benedryl before bed. It really helps.

Also, flush my nasal with saline solution a couple times a day.
Keep all windows closed, including car window and sunroof.
Change clothes, shower and wash my hair when I get home.

This is about the only way for me to get around the allergies.

My buddy took this picture with his cellphone during the rain yesterday, the rain runoff was actually yellow!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/yellow_river.jpg

Wednesday and Thursday the pollens count was over 5000! After the rain yesterday afternoon, the count went down to less than 2000 this morning.

Two weeks ago the pollens count was less than 20. LOL

It will be late May before it gets better around here.

RogerinTPA
04-09-10, 09:02
Ah....nope!:eek:

ForTehNguyen
04-09-10, 10:14
1500 particles per cubic meter is considered "extreme" I believe. Texas was having 4200ish particles, but then I saw some place in the east. It was Georgia I think, cant remember, but it was 9500 particles.

I dont have seasonabl allergies *runs and hides*

04-09-10, 10:33
Really bad here in central NC. Just heard a news story that an extreme pollen count is 90/cubic liter of air. Said ours has been around 5000. Everything coated. Eyes watering, bloodshot. If I get pulled over or go through a checkpoint(common around here) I hope the LE knows the deal.

Smuckatelli
04-09-10, 10:49
Serious question;

Have you guys that are getting it hard this year looked at using cloth to cover your mouth and nose?

In te back of our minds we try to plan for everything.....enough ammo,water, food......

What happens if we don't have access to meds to combat the pollen/allergies?

Don Robison
04-09-10, 10:58
We get hammered every year. The black top in the drive way is yellow, the pool has a nasty yellow ring that has to be scrubbed daily, the trucks and Harley look like I dunked them in cat piss. I don't mind it though. Sure beats smog.

Sam
04-09-10, 12:04
. but then I saw some place in the east. It was Georgia I think, cant remember, but it was 9500 particles.

It wasn't 9500, it was in the high 5000 two days in a row, Tuesday and Wednesday.

DrMark
04-09-10, 14:17

That resembles my SOP.

While Zyrtec and Claritin haven't been much help, Flonase always comes through for me. I'm on some Flonase knock-off now, and it's working.

When it's bad, I'll take the generic Benadryl before bed too.

Mark (PhD, not MD ;))

MOA
04-09-10, 14:28
Im in Virginia for work and you can litterly see the pollen on the ground, on your cell screen, the glass, cars, everything. I am from Kansas and have never seen this before. Is this normal? Good news is it isn't bothering me at all.

jkingrph
04-09-10, 14:28
I was outside the other day when a gust of wind hit. I looked up and at first thought a cloud of pollen was smoke. A little while later my wife came home from town, and her car was kicking up rooster tails of pollen off the street as it went by.

Mac5.56
04-09-10, 14:49
It's kicking my but right now that is for sure! You can see it floating in the air where I am. My friends poor 2 year old is wheezing horribly from it, and we're all stuffy! Uggghhh.

edited to ask: Anyone every heard of an AD from someone sneezing???

HES
04-09-10, 22:29
The past few weeks in Tampa have been horrible. But the crew I have working in Raleigh say its even worse. You can literally see it in there air and your cars and parking lots are yellow.

QuietShootr
04-09-10, 22:37
I have been allergy pill free for 6 months and the pollen is destroying me. I have used a neti pot a few times and I am back in business. I strongly suggest them for anyone with sinus issues and allergies. Might not deal with the itchy eyes, but breathing is improved.

I was taking zyrtec and other decongestants as needed, and often times was so stuffed up I couldn't function.

Agreed, the generic CVS neti pot is a great thing. Washes all that shit out of your head.

Hammar
04-10-10, 01:14
Made the mistake of washing my truck the other day. Nice and shiny metallic grey one afternoon and mustard yellow the next morning. My truck looks like crap and I feel the way my truck looks.

CGSteve
04-10-10, 01:50
Can't be thankful for much as far as genetics go, poor vision, etc. but I don't suffer from any common allergies.

dookie1481
04-10-10, 12:49
Pollen? What's that?

:D

Shit man, haven't you seen it? It's all over the place around me. My allergies are going nuts.

Jay

tampam4
04-10-10, 12:55
you mean this pollen?:D

Semi_auto
04-10-10, 12:57
It was really bad this week. Ended up getting a Rx for Flonase and my symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, etc.) cleared up within 24 hours. Zyrtec D did not work this week.

The_War_Wagon
04-10-10, 12:58
My shop rags are turning into handkerchiefs! :p

m4fun
04-10-10, 21:21
I am too in VA.

Originally Posted by gotm4

Ditto here bud am on perscription Allegra and Pataday for my eyes.

Been living in NOVA since 74 and it never gets better - allergy shots as a kid did nothing for me. Hell I drive a Jeep and am still a few weeks away before I switch the hard top for a soft-top. And I love going topless.

LockenLoad
04-10-10, 22:04
a sledge hammer, had to dust myself with it today doing yard work