PDA

View Full Version : Why dont you use a three point sling?

alfred10
04-08-10, 22:07
I am wondering what slings people are using and why. I hate the old parade sling and prefer something like the specter 3 point with emergency release. It allows you to let the weapon hang when not using it. What do the many other slings do?

Failure2Stop
04-08-10, 22:23
This has been covered quite a few times, but the search function can be a bit tricky I guess.

Larry Vickers said it best when it comes to slings in an article on his website.
Simple summary-
If you just want to hang the gun off yourself and shoot bilaterally, a single-point is acceptable.
If you want to really work with the gun and perform collateral duties a modern tactical 2-point is the way to go (see the BFG VCAS, VTAC 2-point, or Boonie Packer 2P-TPA).
If you want to cover your controls, increase probability of stoppages, and fight with mounting hardware, the 3-points are the way to go.

Robb Jensen
04-08-10, 23:04
I am wondering what slings people are using and why. I hate the old parade sling and prefer something like the specter 3 point with emergency release. It allows you to let the weapon hang when not using it. What do the many other slings do?

Because I don't own an MP5.......about the only gun they are of any us on.

Chameleox
04-08-10, 23:50
Because I don't own an MP5.......about the only gun they are of any use on.

This.

I was issued an M4 with a 3 point sling for SWAT Duties. After about a half year of using it, I switched to a VCAS sling and never looked back. Now, any work or defense long gun that I own has a VCAS sling on it. The VTAC and others are also GTG.

A lot of people might tell you that the 3 point sling was designed to allow for rapid transitions from shoulder to shoulder. between the 1, 2, and 3 points, I find that the more points you have, the harder it is to transition. I suspect that the 3 point sling came into being to allow MP5 shooters to snap the subgun out in front of them, and shoot from a 2 handed, non-shouldered position. This position was popular with a certain foreign counterterrorist unit that had a penchant for wearing gas masks, thus requiring the gun to be extended forward to allow for a good cheek weld without breaking the mask seal. I cannot confirm this however, and it is a theory which happens make sense with how the sling works with the MP5.

Jer
04-09-10, 02:27
I normally run an MS2 because of it's versatility and comfort. I decided to try a 3pt and honestly thought I did something wrong because I couldn't get it to 'feel' right and it just seemed like it was always in the way. It was in the way when hanging and it was in the way when in use. It also seemed to hold it at a weird angle when hanging and it also seemed to not allow me shoulder it properly w/o pulling it at an odd angle and tight in places you wouldn't want it. So, it's just not for me that's for sure.

diving dave
04-09-10, 02:43
3 points are nothing but a pain in the ass for me, as I shoot left handed. Too many times fired brass hits the sling, bounces right back into the action causing a malfunction. 2 points are the way to roll for me, with the Vitac being my favorite.

USMC03
04-09-10, 10:24
My experience with single point, 2 point, and 3 point slings:

http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/tactical-slings-for-the-carbine/icon-tactical-slings.jpg
03designgroup | Tactical Slings For The Carbine http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/tactical-slings-for-the-carbine)

C4IGrant
04-09-10, 10:28

Get in the way of gear.

I use the BFG Vickers Sling (two point).

C4

Keydet08
04-10-10, 14:40
I've started using the Vickers 2 point and I think its the way to go. As far as one point slings are concerned they seem to really fail when you have to do anything that requires moving around with both hands occupied. For example employing a rocket. With a one point you either keep it on your front and the muzzle goes everywhere that you don't want it to or you put the weapon on your back and once again the muzzle goes everywhere that you don't want it to. We were fastroping the other day and I was really relieved when none of the weapons were hung up on the tower or impaled into the ground after being slung to the rear of the flak with a one point.

TehLlama
04-10-10, 15:37
They're great for identifying POGs. You see a 3-pt, you already know.

The most attractive 1pt is the SKD Pig unit. All the other 1pts I would relegate to use with body armor (and attached as such)
My VCAS padded slings are more comfortable than an 3-point I've ever used, and infinitely more practical. On base, in a vehicle, on patrol - all I could ask for.

If budget is tight - pick up a Victory sling, or a used VCAS or VTAC.

JC5611
04-10-10, 15:42
Because I don't own an MP5.......about the only gun they are of any us on.

Very true......I switched out the three point for a single point on my MP5 for entries at work. I got tired of the sling hanging up on the gun. I use a single or 2 point on my AR and we sometimes deploy MP5's for work in urban areas. It works great, but I don't generally have to put hands on someone when I'm carrying it. If that were the case, the single would definitely leave a bit to be desired.

Lee Indy
04-10-10, 17:46
This has been covered quite a few times, but the search function can be a bit tricky I guess.

id say about 50% of the time i use the search it either gives me an error and never does the search or comes up with stuff that isnt even remotely close. some times i wonder if peoples siglines are included in the search

Keydet08
04-10-10, 18:41
They're great for identifying POGs. You see a 3-pt, you already know.

That or the Beretta with some sort of armory tag hanging off the lanyard loop and sitting in an M12 holster.

But I digress, according to our division policy three point slings and one point slings are the only permissible options. That is if you obey the policy.

theblackknight
04-23-10, 22:16
That or the Beretta with some sort of armory tag hanging off the lanyard loop and sitting in an M12 holster.

But I digress, according to our division policy three point slings and one point slings are the only permissible options. That is if you obey the policy.

I just got off the range today(mostly POG range) and was the ass of many gear queer jokes bc I run pmags, and for table 2,ran a MS2 and BAD. Most of a the jokes came from Marines running parade slings:eek: for table 2. I simply don't have the motivation to explain to every backwoods bubba Marine that, no this isnt"some kinda rikki recon sling",that thier standard armory 3 point was state of the art when Clinton was still on office.

Pathfinder Ops
04-24-10, 10:23

Larry Vickers said it best when it comes to slings in an article on his website.
Simple summary-

If you want to cover your controls, increase probability of stoppages, and fight with mounting hardware, the 3-points are the way to go.

This is exactly correct. The 3 point thing defies my understanding. Too much stuff in the way with no real benefit.

msap
04-25-10, 13:23
For my issued rifle, I bastardized a VCAS sling into a single point. I don't prefer a single point but my mounting options are limited on my issued rifle. Plus it gets the job done with armor. My personal 6920 I use the original VCAS and I love it. It's only slightly bastardized...enough that i can transition to my weak side with no problem. Tried a 3 point long ago and they suck.

jnc36rcpd
04-28-10, 20:54
I went from a Spectre three-point to a Tactical Link one-point and then to a Vickers two-point. I then tried a three-point that a friend designed. I pretty quickly went pack to the Vickers.

I'd go with one of the two points recommended unless your mission is strictly tunning and gunning (no handcuffing, working communications, whatever).

RWBlue
04-28-10, 22:53
I finally bought a 3 point sling the other day.

I plan on trying it on an AK underfolder. At best I will love it, at worst, ....it doesn't cost much.

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-10, 09:00
Like many here I have used just about all types of slings. The three point IMHO is a no go. To much material to get in the way, I never could seem to get them to sinch tight enough against the rifle.

I just got an EMDOM Gunslinger Sling, think they have a winner there. It's the best of both worlds, it goes from two point to single point and vise versa with ease and also has a quick adjustment "z-pull" much like that of the Vickers.