PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk serpa & light combo

APD201
04-08-10, 22:08
Does anyone have any time in with the Serpa and Xiphos light combo. I have a serpa holster and it works well but I want a light mounted as well.

Thanks!

SWATcop556
04-09-10, 17:22
Not trying to be an ass but I would ditch the SERPA all together. There are more and more documented cases for them leading to a ND. The ALS from safariland is just as fast and uses the thumb to release the gun, not the trigger finger.

In a defensive tactics class I watched three SERPA holsters break off the mount and one trigger release jam up and locked the gun in the holster.

I also would not use the light. A Surefire X300 or TLR1 with the ALS holster is a much safer and well made option.

Scarecrow01
04-09-10, 19:34
I absolutely agree with Swatcop! I have seen the serpa fail in a few too many situations involving mud or some type of other debris jamb up the release, causing a delay in the draw and taking attention away from who needs it to seeking cover and dealing with the issue. I'd take a hammer to that thing, bust it, and get a Safariland SLS or other proven holster. I have zero opinion on that light, never seen one before.

tpd223
04-09-10, 19:58
The light is decent but only works with the Blackhawk holster, and I am not a fan of the Serpa system after a couple of years of using that system.

I find the Serpa holsters to unreliable and not durable enough to count on.

tip2oo3
04-10-10, 07:24
I've had the holster/light combo in service for 6 months now and haven't had any problems. I opted for the newer light with the CREE bulb and it's plenty bright. There are other options out there that are much brighter (TLR-1 and X300's) but from my experiences the combo works good. Also I've had the light mounted on a g22 and it has caused zero malfunctions. There are alot of reports of g22's being picky with weaponlights and for me so far 0 problems. It boils down to personal preference and $$. I bought the combo for $200, which is how much you'll spend on a x300 alone.