PDA

View Full Version : Bayonets

dwood67
04-09-10, 07:31
I never seem to read much about AR bayonets. Are they readily available and legal to own and attach ?

Also, 20", 16", & 14.5" bbl. rifles must all accept different bayonet, correct ?

Thanks

austinN4
04-09-10, 08:30
http://www.m9bayonet.com/

dwood67
04-09-10, 09:55
Thanks, the forums are down there or I'd ask them about the bayonet I have.

It has a black handle and is marked as follows:

U.S. M7
Gen Cut

jp0319
04-09-10, 10:13
Bayonets will mount on the 14.5 and 20" barrels for sure as that is what the military uses and the distance from the FH to the Bayonet lug is the same. Given that I do not believe (dont quote me) that the distance on a 16" barrel is the same. As far as legality as far as I know the bayonet is as legal as any knife. Why you would want one other than for nastalgia or a collection is beyond me. The bayonet sucks as a knife. We as in soldiers rarely use them at all in fact the only times I have mounted them in the last 10 years was in parades.

rifleman2000
04-09-10, 10:21
Bayonets will mount on 16" barrels with carbine length handguards, but the ring will sit back on the barrel.

I have mounted a bayonet a few times as a deterrent to civilians in urban environments. They know US ROE says you won't shoot, but they fear a knife.

I bought a USMC issue bayonet from Ontario, that is a much better fighting knife than the M9 bayonet IMHO.

austinN4
04-09-10, 10:34
It has a black handle and is marked as follows:
U.S. M7 Gen Cut
That is a M7 bayonet made by General Cutlery. The M7 is the Vietnam-era bayonet and predecessor to the current M9.

dwood67
04-09-10, 11:30
That is a M7 bayonet made by General Cutlery. The M7 is the Vietnam-era bayonet and predecessor to the current M9.

Thanks for the info.

CGSteve
04-09-10, 21:11
Bayonets will mount on the 14.5 and 20" barrels for sure as that is what the military uses and the distance from the FH to the Bayonet lug is the same. Given that I do not believe (dont quote me) that the distance on a 16" barrel is the same. As far as legality as far as I know the bayonet is as legal as any knife. Why you would want one other than for nastalgia or a collection is beyond me. The bayonet sucks as a knife. We as in soldiers rarely use them at all in fact the only times I have mounted them in the last 10 years was in parades.

They cut MRE boxes and MRE packages. I read that a couple of Marines during Phantom Fury had bayonet kills, but I doubt they were mounted.

I collect them, along with other militaria. + 1 on them being the same as any other knife in terms of legality.

djegators
04-09-10, 21:34
http://i43.tinypic.com/8y6mc6.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/saz694.jpg

Having trouble zeroing the H1 for the bayonet....keep stabbing way low :D

crazymoose
04-10-10, 01:27
Standard bayonets fit on 20" rifle barrels, 14.5" CAR barrels, and 16" mid barrels.

I've seen all kinds of wacky bayonets made for various other barrel configs.

boltcatch
04-10-10, 01:33
They cut MRE boxes and MRE packages. I read that a couple of Marines during Phantom Fury had bayonet kills, but I doubt they were mounted.

I collect them, along with other militaria. + 1 on them being the same as any other knife in terms of legality.

I recall a few recent bayonet charges (in the news), but if I recall correctly in each case it was the Brits.

Xenogy
04-10-10, 02:05
I recall a few recent bayonet charges (in the news), but if I recall correctly in each case it was the Brits.

Here is the story

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1138046/posts

PdxMotoxer
04-10-10, 11:28
From what i have seen the M7 bayonets will fit a SBR
but if you have a 16" or 20" then you're going to want an M9

It kinda has to do with where that "hole" (sorry brain not working and can't remember the name) that goes over your A2 flash hider sits.

The M7 will go to far back and not make contact with your A2 flash hider
thus causing it to be to loose.

I tried one on my S&W M&P and it fit fine. but fit my mossberg 590a1
great also.

**Warning, if you plan on stabbing a head of lettuce with a bayonet attached
to a mossy 590a1 12g shotgun then shoot it.
Make sure you are wearing not only protective eye wear
but also rain coat and pretty much dressed as if you were
going to be sitting front row at a Gallagar show**

Cruncher Block
04-10-10, 23:50
**Warning, if you plan on stabbing a head of lettuce with a bayonet attached
to a mossy 590a1 12g shotgun then shoot it.
Make sure you are wearing not only protective eye wear
but also rain coat and pretty much dressed as if you were
going to be sitting front row at a Gallagar show**

Best. Warning. Ever. :)

ThirdWatcher
04-11-10, 00:03
I bought a USMC issue bayonet from Ontario, that is a much better fighting knife than the M9 bayonet IMHO.

I recently bought one and it is a first rate knife. ;)