PDA

View Full Version : Side charging uppers

HerrKutter
04-09-10, 12:42
Need info. Who makes a slick side upper with a side charging feature? Also need info on both left side and right side charging feature. Any help would be appreciated.

Dozer
04-09-10, 12:51
Addax

tirod
04-09-10, 18:59
ASA also makes a left side charging upper. I'm saving my money.

The advantage, arguably minor, to a side charging upper is that it allows the operator to charge the rifle/carbine while keeping a sight picture. If right handed, precision shooters with cuff slings can use their right hand to charge while in the prone position on the firing line. Right hand charging handles are generally tapped into the side of the bolt and protrude through the ejection port. Most users don't plan on this being a robust or tactical application, just something that eases use on a long distance competition.

Left side chargers may be fixed or not. ASA uses a non reciprocating, and the REPR appears to be fixed (I may be wrong.) The ASA engages a small slot milled into the standard BCG, which could even be done with a dremel for the those concerned with survival resupply. Fixed handles are attached to the BCG, both require a new slot machined into the left side, and may use a slot cover or track retainer to keep the bolt handle attached. Left hand actuation allows the operator to charge the weapon while keeping a sight picture - typically when clearing a malfunction. The AR already has a bolt hold open, so it's ahead of less advanced firearms and already allows loading and firing without loss of sight picture - if you hold the bolt back before shouldering.

The arguable part is whether or not the weapon should have already been loaded in a needed situation, and why are bad magazines or ammo being used that would require immediate action and life or death return fire. On the other hand, if it is life and death, do you want to remove the gun from the shoulder and pull the charging handle with your trigger hand, as most right handers do?

From another perspective, I compare a left handed charging upper to piston operation, and view the difference as one where I can spend my money for improved tactical ergonomics, vs. an alleged ability (not yet documented) to have less stoppages. I view the situation as being answered by the known fact that stoppages will happen anyway, it's really whether they will be at a life or death moment.

If it means losing a shot at a whitetail, or stopping an angry razorback, I still prefer a side charger, and use the extra $100 I save from a piston purchase toward a whole bunch of Mobil 1.

Hillbilly
04-09-10, 19:32
jp rifles makes one on their lrp-07

d90king
04-09-10, 19:42
Sig right side.

m1a_scoutguy
04-09-10, 23:42
Here ya go,,, http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_AR_15_M4_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver_without_Carrier-124-12.html

oef24
04-10-10, 02:56
LWRC already has a non-reciprocating side charger on the REPR and they have promissed to release a 5.56mm version soon. I guess it will be standard in the years to come with the release of the ACR. I think it is almost necessary for it to be non-reciprocating. Even the SCAR has had problems if the charging handle is disrupted while reciprocating.

O