PDA

View Full Version : Part number of M&P firing pin block?

sevin8nin
04-09-10, 14:35
Long story: i had a gunsmith put on my sights right after i got my M&P45 and he used a brass punch and hammer. Same guy that's put on all my aftermarket sights on my handguns. Maybe he's always used a punch and i've just never noticed, or maybe not, but either way my front sight got all beat to hell. Ben over at Boresight solutions was gearing up to do a trigger job on the gun when he drifted the rear sight out he noticed that the little disc that sits above the spring in the firing pin block was missing, and it also appears that possibly a different spring was used as it has pigtail ends rather than flat ends. I called S&W and they couldn't figure out what part i was talking about and said i needed to buy the sear block and that they couldn't sell that part to me because it's part of the firing assembly. I said that this part is in the slide and that it's vertical and sits under the sight. We still couldn't figure out a part number or what part i was talking about. The CS agent just told me to send the gun in and they'll replace whatever part it is. Ok, that's all fine and good. But now my concern is that if i send the gun to them they're going to replace the nicely polished firing pin block plunger that Ben so kindly polished up.

I'd really prefer to just get the parts myself and rectify this issue on my own without having to spend another $65 on shipping my handgun out.
I found the schematic of the M&P on Brownells. And looking at Brownell's sight, they actually sell the sear block that we're apparently not allowed to buy.
They do not however have the firing pin block assembly numbered.
I've circled it in this picture. I mainly just need the spring and the little disc that sits above it.
Does anyone have any idea what part number this might be, or a place to source it? If i get a part number I can try smith and wesson again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/b0b0o7o7/sw-mp.gif

DocGKR
04-09-10, 15:13
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/PistolPartsList_Retail.pdf

sevin8nin
04-09-10, 15:24
Awesome list DocGKR. Thanks.
Unfortunately that list doesn't seem to contain those parts either. Unless my reading comprehension is owning me again.

orionz06
04-09-10, 16:01
you could get the Apex tactical parts (if they make the block for the .45)

http://apextactical.com/hp_zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=24&zenid=qpq06cjqsql6q29h83marc8dj4

EDIT: Missed the part that said disc only...

C4IGrant
04-09-10, 16:03
Generally speaking, S&W doesn't sell that part. I usually stock those items, but am having a difficult finding them. :mad:

C4

sevin8nin
04-09-10, 16:06
I wrote apex and asked them if they have access to those parts.

spamsammich
04-09-10, 16:09
That's a bummer. I'm wondering if that smith drifted the sight out the wrong way? Is there a chance that you can get that smith to reimburse you the cost of the firing pin block assembly if you end up having to send it in to S&W? It should be his responsibility to make it right.

orionz06
04-09-10, 16:12
Interesting enough, the M&P Pro I just got did not have this part when I went to install the Apex SB.

sevin8nin
04-09-10, 16:54
whoa, really? I'll have the check the pro we have in the shop to see if it has a firing pin block or not. That would be interesting.

I'll have to check to see if that smith even works there anymore. I think I got this M&P a year ago, and that shop has changed quite a bit.

My hope was that I could spend the $10-25 to get the parts and then just drift it out on my own with a sight pusher.

the original smith used a brass punch and hammer...which is probably why the spring got lost in the first place.

orionz06
04-09-10, 17:09
whoa, really? I'll have the check the pro we have in the shop to see if it has a firing pin block or not. That would be interesting.

I'll have to check to see if that smith even works there anymore. I think I got this M&P a year ago, and that shop has changed quite a bit.

My hope was that I could spend the $10-25 to get the parts and then just drift it out on my own with a sight pusher.

the original smith used a brass punch and hammer...which is probably why the spring got lost in the first place.

I have the block, but not the little disc above it. I even took it apart in a bag so nothing would get lost.

sevin8nin
04-09-10, 17:24
I have the block, but not the little disc above it. I even took it apart in a bag so nothing would get lost.
like maybe mine never had a disc above it?

Robb Jensen
04-09-10, 17:49
like maybe mine never had a disc above it?

I have a spring and a FP block you can have but I'm out of discs.

Try www.speedshooterspecialties.com

mike benedict
04-10-10, 08:39
The parts are (from armorer's manual)
#4 F/P plunger spacer
#5 spring striker block

I have bought them from S&W several times

sevin8nin
04-10-10, 12:50
thanks very much Mike Benedict
I guess the armorer's manual must be different than that image I have since those numbers correspond to different parts.
I'll have to see what Smith says.

javentre
04-10-10, 13:03
I guess the armorer's manual must be different than that image I have since those numbers correspond to different parts.

The image he posted was from Brownells, it's their numbering, not S&W.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=859/schematicsdetail/