PDA

View Full Version : Good torque wrench for basic upper assembly?

Skyyr
04-09-10, 21:55
I'm looking to put a new AAC Blackout flash hider on my Noveske. I know you should be able to hand-tighten it, but I'd like to make sure it's done the right way.

Can anyone suggest a decent, QUALITY torque wrench that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or are all of them in the $150+ category? I'll be needing a 20-30 ft/lb for the flash hider.

Thanks!

04-09-10, 22:01
I never had any problems with my Craftsman torque wrenches. They are reasonably priced.

Skyyr
04-09-10, 22:04
I never had any problems with my Craftsman torque wrenches. They are reasonably priced.

Hmmm... I hadn't even thought of that. I'll go by Sears tomorrow. Thanks!

04-09-10, 22:25
I'm sure you're familiar with torque wrenches but just a reminder anyway.. Make sure you loosen the poundage down to zero for storage or when you are done using it.

lethal dose
04-09-10, 23:27
Oddly enough, I think 3ctactical has a thread about this somewhere on here. Personally, craftsman rarely fails me. When it does, the tools are ancient and Sears replaces them at no charge.

lethal dose
04-09-10, 23:28
I'm sure you're familiar with torque wrenches but just a reminder anyway.. Make sure you loosen the poundage down to zero for storage or when you are done using it.
This is sound advice.

3CTactical
04-09-10, 23:40
lethaldose, your memory serves you well. Here it is:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37650

lethal dose
04-09-10, 23:52
I've been building fast cars and bikes since I can remember. With that said, I've always used almost exclusively craftsman tools. Best value. Best warranty. Sk is great but overpriced. Snap on is a serious joke. If something breaks and you give whatever it was back to the snap on guy, it can take weeks to get it back... not to mention... like Sk, they are grossly overpriced. Craftsman just hands you a brand new whatever it was you broke. I have had two craftsman tools fail me- both ratchet wrenches and both nearing 20 years old. As for power tools, dewalt has always rocked my world.

Skyyr
04-10-10, 02:26
This may be a very noobish question...

But how would a wrench like the Craftsman fit onto / work with the flash hider? It's late and I'm tired, so I might be missing the obvious - I just can't visualize it.

And, just out of curiosity, how important is it to actually torque the flash hider? I prefer to do everything by the book, but every experienced armorer I've talked to, including the guys at AAC, suggested hand-tight + Rocksett.