PDA

View Full Version : Browning .40 S&W Hanguns...

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-10, 08:15
Long story short, I recently discovered that I am about to receive a pistol as a gift from a relative. All I've been told is it's a Browning and it's in .40 S&W. I don't know very much about Browning pistols so I started researching them a bit.

So far this is what I have come up with; basically Browning has made only three handgun lines, the Hi-Power, BDM, and the Buckmark. Through the process of elimination I have concluded that the only pistol that Browning ever made in .40 S&W is the Hi-Power as the BDMs were only in 9mm and the Buckmarks are Rimfire.

With not having my hands on it to see what condition it is in, if it has the original box, manual, how many mags, etc.....what is the going rate these days for Browning .40 S&W Hi-Powers in various conditions? Also are there any varients in the Hi-Power line chambered in .40 S&W? Like any "limited editions" etc...

Knowing said relative I know that the Hi-Power spent most of its life in a safe and was well maintained never abused and or miss used.

Thanks for any help. :cool:

Littlelebowski
04-10-10, 08:49
Yup, there are .40 Hi Powers.

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-10, 12:42
Yup, there are .40 Hi Powers.

Know how much the different varients go for?

ranburr
04-10-10, 15:53
Browning has marketed (they make nothing), more than three handgun lines. Baby Brownings, BDAs (Sig), DAs versions of the HP, etc. The most recent is the Browning marked polymer FN P series.

glockeyed
04-10-10, 16:23
Know how much the different varients go for?

true browning marked, even well used "painted" finish start at over $500. if you're lucky.

there are a ton of variants since it turned 75yrs old.

ST911
04-11-10, 01:18
I owned a BHP in 40SW when they first came out. I recall it being finicky with ammo and marginally accurate. It was much better after a trip to the smith.

I got a G23 about the same time, sold the BHP, and never looked back.

The most interesting aspect of the 40 BHP was the mousetrap spring on the bottom of the mag. When you hit the mag release, it would literally throw the mag out of the well.

ChicagoTex
04-11-10, 09:02
I owned a BHP in 40SW when they first came out. I recall it being finicky with ammo and marginally accurate. It was much better after a trip to the smith.

Early .40S&W BHPs were mega-crap. Somewhere in their history Browning made a major change in their metallurgy which vastly improved things - unfortunately I don't remember when that was.

To the OP: there really are too many variants to list, but in general assuming condition is decent it should be sellable for $500-$700.

Moose-Knuckle
04-11-10, 09:21

I got a G23 about the same time, sold the BHP, and never looked back.

The most interesting aspect of the 40 BHP was the mousetrap spring on the bottom of the mag. When you hit the mag release, it would literally throw the mag out of the well.

I'm with you on that, when I receive it I plan on selling it and depending on how much I get I will either get another G17 or 19, an 870 Police Magnum, or if I'm lucky that SLR-107CR I've been wanting to SBR.

Hunter Rose
04-11-10, 15:34
1994 was when FN went to cast frames instead of forged. These were much stronger then the forged frames and were required since the .40S&W proved too stout for the traditional forged frame, and cracks were developing after a few thousand rounds.

Exactly opposite of 1911 land, cast frames are generally held in higher regard than forged in BHP land.

ranburr
04-11-10, 15:58
1994 was when FN went to cast frames instead of forged. These were much stronger then the forged frames and were required since the .40S&W proved too stout for the traditional forged frame, and cracks were developing after a few thousand rounds.

Exactly opposite of 1911 land, cast frames are generally held in higher regard than forged in BHP land.

The cast frames are only stronger on the Hi Powers because they start with a better grade of steel.

kmrtnsn
04-11-10, 16:18
Was the Browning BDM ever made in .40?

NMBigfoot02
04-11-10, 17:57
I paid $500 for an FN marked HP in .40 about 5 years ago.

Hunter Rose
04-11-10, 18:11
The cast frames are only stronger on the Hi Powers because they start with a better grade of steel.

I'm not debating whether forged is better than cast or vice versa, just sayng that on BHPs cast are still the more desired BHP frame for strength and longevity.

TOrrock
04-11-10, 18:15
The Browning Pro-40 is a FN FNP and has been out for a while.

Moose-Knuckle
06-25-10, 09:59
Okay so I received my pistol, turns out it is a Browning Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W. Stainless two tone finish with the Pachmayr grips that sport the Browning logo. It also has the adjustable sites. The pistol is in 99% new condition with the factory box, two factory mags and about seven after market mags including two hi-caps.

What can I expect to get for this pistol?

Aray
06-25-10, 11:26
Do you plan to trade, sell outright, sell on gunbroker, ect?

Moose-Knuckle
06-25-10, 13:32
Do you plan to trade, sell outright, sell on gunbroker, ect?

I am looking at selling it out right as I do not feel that a dealer/gun shop would give me a fair price as they are in business to make money.

I would like to buy another G17 or G19 with the money I get for the Hi Power.

ChicagoTex
06-25-10, 14:31
I would like to buy another G17 or G19 with the money I get for the Hi Power.

That should be doable, if only just. Try pricing it at $550-$600 and see if anyone bites.

NIB 9mm Practicals are going for around $700, but you take a hit for it being used (however lightly) and the fact that it's a .40 (much less desireable to Hi-Power enthusiasts).

Aray
06-25-10, 15:29
I think $650-$675 would be fair.

ghostman1960
06-25-10, 15:56
I had a FN .40 with the SFS system on it. I just couldn't get used to pushing the hammer forward to put it on safe so I sold it.