PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase first nice upper...need suggestions!

lil'Zeus
04-10-10, 11:17
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a new upper. This would be my first nice, quality upper I have had since the black rifle bug bit me a year ago.

Here is what I'm looking at:
BCM mid length light weight upper with Daniel Defesnse Lite 12 complete from Brave Company USA.

Or:
Wait for Daniel Defesnse to make a light weight mid length profile (.625 gas block) and order it from Grant (which I heard they are planning on coming out with this, and correct me if I'm wrong please). I thought I wanted a DD 10 Lite rail but the 12 would probably be okay. Have him build it with a Vltor low profile gas block and send me an upper ready to go.

Any thoughts?

My goal is to get a good quality upper that is light weight as possible using that rail system. I know the BCM has the .725 gas block, and they use their own, so I'm not sure on how much more weight that set up will be compared to the DD. Would you guys go 12" over the 10" for more realestate and a longer forearm for better grip? I'm guessing only a couple of ounces different in rails, and maybe a few more ounces for the gas block and bigger gas port.

I want to be able to run the gun hard and get into some training classes to become better at running this weapon system. It would be used for HD and a lot of target shooting. I just want something I can rely on.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Shane

GermanSynergy
04-10-10, 11:35
I have one of BCM's middy uppers with the DD 12" Lite Rail. It's an awesome upper, and has proven to be reliable and very accurate. I've been shooting it alot since December, and am quite pleased with it.

It is well balanced, and feels light as a switch in my hands (my optic is a T-1 Micro).

Very hard to go wrong with any offering from BCM.

lil'Zeus
04-10-10, 11:40
Thanks for you input. I know BCM makes top notch stuff and their barrels are supposed to be pretty good as well. I just didn't know much about their gas blocks and how the gas port was bigger to accept a standard size gas block.

I have a nice but used Aimpoint M2 to to on it. I want a H1, but will have wait on it.

Do you like the 12" rail, or do you feel it is a bit long? I know the back up sight radius will be longer and that is a good thing, but do you use the extra length for hand placement?

Thanks

GermanSynergy
04-10-10, 11:52
I am 6'4" tall, and have long arms- so I really like the extra length the 12" rail offers. I run a KAC Hand Stop on this upper, and my hand placement is far up on the rail.

I do not feel it's too long, and when you pick one up it actually "feels" (to me anyways) much lighter than it looks.

lil'Zeus
04-10-10, 12:13
Thats what I'm shooting for, I plan on running the Magpul AFG, or atleast try one out on this set up. I'm 6'1" and really don't like the hand placement on my carbine gas length gun now. I just didn't want to get one that is longer than I needed and have the extra weight.

Are you using the BCM bolt carrier group in yours? I would purchase that with the upper as well. I hear great things about BCM, but have never actually picked one up, shot one, or tore one down to take a close look at it.

Thanks again...

GermanSynergy
04-10-10, 12:52
I'm not running a BCM BGC in mine, but a Global Tactical (Denny's Guns) M-16 Super Duty BCG and a PRI Gasbuster CH.

That said, I have no reason to believe that BCM's BCG would be anything less than outstanding, and am going to purchase a complete upper from them very soon.

I would buy with total confidence.