PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR VST folding front sight/gas block (new version)

wild_wild_wes
04-10-10, 14:42
Anyone have the one of the new VLTOR VST gas block/folding front sight units?

Anyone with the old type care to comment about theirs?

militarymoron
04-10-10, 16:38
any specific questions that aren't answered here?
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html#vst2

wild_wild_wes
04-10-10, 20:42
Yes I looked at that MM; great info! I just wanted to hear small talk and perhaps see some more buildss. I don't see too many of these in the pic threads. I have the PRI and it's great, but I'd like to try one of these....it has a lower profile folded than the PRI, has a QD sling swivel socket built in, and has the taper-pin option, so it sounds interesting. Doesn't cost a bazillion dollars like the KAC either.

wild_wild_wes
04-10-10, 23:58
Oh yeah! I also had a question for the Experts:

Can the VST be used with plastic handguards? Meaning, is the length of the unit optomized for butting up gainst the gas block shoulder, or is there room for the handguard cap?

militarymoron
04-11-10, 10:50
yes, there's the standard gap for the handguard cap. it's not butted up against the shoulder.

wild_wild_wes
06-20-10, 09:56
Well, I got mine installed.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-12.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-2.jpg

I got the pinned version, for extra security:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-4.jpg

I like it so much I will get another for my next build. Unless you are going low profile, this is the gas block to use, INHO.

Duffy
06-20-10, 12:04
This may look very good with my DD 12.0 FSP :D

wild_wild_wes
06-20-10, 15:10
I've had the PRI unit in the past; very nice, but this one has a much lower profile. In fact, the top rail height on the gas block is the same as the DD handguard rail....so, go for it Duffy!

Duffy
06-20-10, 15:21
What would I do with the ARMS sight that replaced the PRI? :confused:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/arms4.jpg

I already have the KAC gas block/front sight and PRI sitting in the parts drawer :(

Reddevil
06-20-10, 17:09
Well, I got mine installed.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-12.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-2.jpg

I got the pinned version, for extra security:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/UB3-4.jpg

I like it so much I will get another for my next build. Unless you are going low profile, this is the gas block to use, INHO.

Did a gunsmith have to install that or does it come predrilled and line up with the the pin grooves on the barrel?

wild_wild_wes
06-20-10, 23:25
Did a gunsmith have to install that or does it come predrilled and line up with the the pin grooves on the barrel?

This is a gunsmith install only. There are two pilot holes, but they are only about 1mm deep or less. It would be best to install this on a new barrel that has never been pinned, so that you would get a good pin channel.

DWood
06-21-10, 07:13
May have been addressed elsewhere; the design has me curious. Why does it have rail slots on top? Cosmetics? What would possibly mount there? MM's review stetes "The rail on top of the gas block has been retained." Why?

ChicagoTex
06-21-10, 17:41
May have been addressed elsewhere; the design has me curious. Why does it have rail slots on top? Cosmetics? What would possibly mount there? MM's review stetes "The rail on top of the gas block has been retained." Why?

1. In case you decide you want a fixed front sight after all
2. In case you decide you want to mount a fixed front sight on the rail and a flashlight on the gas block.

Just because it has a flip-up front sight doesn't mean you need to use it, that's the beauty of keeping it railed.

DWood
06-21-10, 17:58
1. In case you decide you want a fixed front sight after all
2. In case you decide you want to mount a fixed front sight on the rail and a flashlight on the gas block.

Just because it has a flip-up front sight doesn't mean you need to use it, that's the beauty of keeping it railed.

Those two reasons don't work for me; guess I'm too low speed. :D

KingsideRook
06-21-10, 22:25
Those two reasons don't work for me; guess I'm too low speed. :D

Also, if you have a scope mount that slides on from the front of the receiver and rail system, it will pass over the gas block as well.

wild_wild_wes
06-21-10, 22:48
The second build I will be using another VST on will have midlength MOE handguards; I intend to use the top rail of the VST to attach a tac light when needed. The QD sling swivel inserts will also be of great utility on that build, since otherwise I would have to rely on the MOE polymer rails to add a sling swivel adapter.

wild_wild_wes
06-21-10, 22:52
What would I do with the ARMS sight that replaced the PRI?

Build another rifle to use the VST on!

I already have the KAC gas block/front sight and PRI sitting in the parts drawer

You can afford to have a KAC gas block/front sight sitting unused in the parts drawer!?!

SuicideHz
06-21-10, 23:01
Also, if you have a scope mount that slides on from the front of the receiver and rail system, it will pass over the gas block as well.

:rolleyes:

And likewise, if it was flat on top with no protrusion for rails then the mount would still slide right past...

I had the older style and I liked it a lot. I do like how this one doesn't have the extra material mine had. Mine was EASY to flip up and perhaps this one is not as easy. It looked funky deployed though...

militarymoron
06-21-10, 23:12
the rail also gives you the option of mounting some other folding front sight on top of it if you don't like the sight picture provided by the vltor; a troy for example. you get the longer sight radius, plus a front sight that's mounted on the barrel (for those concerned with barrel or rail deflection under certain circumstances, and want the front sight to move with the barrel).
anyways, it's there, but you don't have to use it (like QD sling cups in most stocks).

wild_wild_wes
06-21-10, 23:32
I had the older style and I liked it a lot. I do like how this one doesn't have the extra material mine had. Mine was EASY to flip up and perhaps this one is not as easy. It looked funky deployed though...

The ears are now smaller but have deep serrations on the sides and it is easy to grip and flip.

Duffy
06-22-10, 07:49
Build another rifle to use the VST on!

You can afford to have a KAC gas block/front sight sitting unused in the parts drawer!?!

Rather, I haven't had the time or will to find a barrel for it :mad:

mtdawg169
06-22-10, 08:41
Why do people always get wrapped around the axle about the rail on these? Most people won't use them, but its there if you want to. It is still one of, if not the best choice for a folding gas block sight. The KAC would be the only other option I would consider for a part like this and it is very expensive. I really like the slimmed down look of the new sight. Regarding the rail on top, I like the continuity with the forearm rail. Yeah, I know its just cosmetics, but I still like it. If it looks good and does its job well, what's the downside? IMHO, I don't see one. This not a case of form over function, it is simply form + function, with the priority being function.

BTW, what kind of front sight pin do these use? Wes, can you get us a pic of the deployed sight from the rear, as you see it when sighting? I'm curious about the sight picture. Thanks!

jaxman7
06-22-10, 15:07
I cut and pasted my own question from another discussion fellas. Hopefully someone on here has tried this:

Going to bring this one back to life. Tried searching for more threads via Google but this is the only one I found. I bought a 12" DD Omega X rail when Bravo Company had their sale last December. I've got it mounted with a PRI goose neck gas block I cut flat but I am still very curious if anyone has done this yet. In particular with Vltor's new VST-2P (pinned version w/out QD) or the VST-2C (clamped w/out QD). Both being smaller than the original sight tower one of these just might work. If anybody has tried it hit me back. Thanks,

-Jax

Just for clarification purposes I am wanting to mount one of the new sight towers on with my DD 12.0 Omega X rail. Or at least see if it can be done without much 'customizing'. Thanks.

ChicagoTex
06-22-10, 17:12
Just for clarification purposes I am wanting to mount one of the new sight towers on with my DD 12.0 Omega X rail. Or at least see if it can be done without much 'customizing'. Thanks.

Contact VLTOR, they're usually really responsive and forthcoming with such inquiries. If anyone they personally know has tried it, they'll tell you and tell you how it went.

You could likewise contact DD (who is equally open with their info), but I believe they'd be less likely to know how a new VLTOR product worked with their older rail system than VLTOR would be.

wild_wild_wes
06-22-10, 22:16
Why do people always get wrapped around the axle about the rail on these? Most people won't use them, but its there if you want to. It is still one of, if not the best choice for a folding gas block sight. The KAC would be the only other option I would consider for a part like this and it is very expensive. I really like the slimmed down look of the new sight. Regarding the rail on top, I like the continuity with the forearm rail. Yeah, I know its just cosmetics, but I still like it. If it looks good and does its job well, what's the downside? IMHO, I don't see one. This not a case of form over function, it is simply form + function, with the priority being function.

I don't get the axle wrapping either. According to Vltor, the "end users" (take a guess who they are) asked for the top rail. I would tend to trust the judgement of these folks.

BTW, what kind of front sight pin do these use? Wes, can you get us a pic of the deployed sight from the rear, as you see it when sighting? I'm curious about the sight picture. Thanks!

Straight pins. I think ADCO will do taper pins too, but they charge extra for that. The VST has much longer pins than the old triangle FSB, so I don't know if they have taper pins long enough for this.

Sight picture: I'll get the pics for you, but they'll have to wait for the weekend....this is the time of year I bike to work (18 miles each way) and I'm just sitting here mellowing out....no ambition to do anything but surf right now.

they
06-23-10, 17:56
Wow, can't believe they would advocate sling attachment on the bbl...

Can't wait to see people mounting the sling up there with a FF tube installed lol :D

SuicideHz
06-23-10, 22:29
they- it's there if you need it. Just like the top rail.

I look at it as a nice feature to break up what would normally be a pretty bare profile.

Stickman
06-24-10, 01:32
I look at it as a nice feature to break up what would normally be a pretty bare profile.

My thoughts as well.

87GN
06-24-10, 04:03
http://www.545ar.com/VST.jpg

wild_wild_wes
06-24-10, 22:23
Wow, can't believe they would advocate sling attachment on the bbl...

Can't wait to see people mounting the sling up there with a FF tube installed lol :D

About 20 million M-16s have been produced; virtually all of them use a sling attached to the barrel.

If this still alarms you, VST is available without the QD insert:

http://www.vltor.com/images/st/VST-2Csightup.jpg

nickdrak
06-24-10, 22:59
Anyone find out yet if this will fit under the DD Omega-X 12.0 that came with the original DDm4?

jaxman7
06-25-10, 09:11
Dying to know this as well before I fork out $200. Nick I'll call vltor and DD and report back.

Anyone find out yet if this will fit under the DD Omega-X 12.0 that came with the original DDm4?

jaxman7
06-25-10, 09:26
Got in touch with vltor. Talked to a fella named Blaine. Super nice customer service with them as always. He sent me a link from calguns and the non QD will fit. Looks great:

wild_wild_wes
06-25-10, 23:02
Wes, can you get us a pic of the deployed sight? I'm curious about the sight picture. Thanks!

Here you go!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/sightpicture.jpg

glen
06-26-10, 11:46
Got in touch with vltor. Talked to a fella named Blaine. Super nice customer service with them as always. He sent me a link from calguns and the non QD will fit. Looks great:

Drool!!!

Gotta get me one of those!

nickdrak
08-19-10, 21:33
Back from the dead....

Has anyone done the above mod yet:VST-2C under Daniel Defense Omega-X 12.0???

I just ordered one for a buddy who has the DDM4 w/DD Omega-X 12.0, and I was wondering what the best method of doing so is. Are the Omega-X rails fairly easy to remove/replace?

jaxman7
08-19-10, 21:52
Nick,

In about a month I'll be doing mine and will post up some pics. I would love to do it now but am too busy buying other stuff! The rails are easy to put on/take off. I think 4 allen screws that attach it to the barrel nut and (I don't have the rifle in front of me now) some scews on the left and right side that attach the upper part of the rail to the lower.

-Jax

nickdrak
08-19-10, 22:10
Cool, Thanks. I will probably have his done next week and will post pics once complete....

Nick,

In about a month I'll be doing mine and will post up some pics. I would love to do it now but am too busy buying other stuff! The rails are easy to put on/take off. I think 4 allen screws that attach it to the barrel nut and (I don't have the rifle in front of me now) some scews on the left and right side that attach the upper part of the rail to the lower.

-Jax