PDA

View Full Version : need solid rain protection in an otherwise warm environment?

mattjmcd
04-10-10, 14:45
Check out e-Vent.
http://www.rei.com/features/eVent.html

I live in SoCal, and it's been a wet year so far. I finally got a lightweight hardshell. I picked up an REI brand Kimtah. It came recommended as a lower-priced alternative to the Shuksan(sp?) jacket with the avalanche do-dad. Anywho... The jacket is good kit and the e-Vent (or Event, or whatever) works as advertised. I have found it to be MUCH more breathable than Goretex.

For giggles the other day I wore it nonstop during on-and-off rain with temps in the mid-70's or more. Despite moving around a lot I did not work up a sweat inside the jacket. Not bad for a hardshell. (note- I am not sure that REI would call this a hardhell per se, but it's definitely a rain jacket) At 15oz or so, it's also a 1/4lb lighter than the go-faster offerings from A'T. And about $200 cheaper, too.

If you live in TX, FL, AZ or similar, this might be a good pick.

awm14hp
04-11-10, 19:23
I have that exact same type parka from LL BEAN in Goretex packlite fabric with the little dots on the inside of the coat and it works really well and super light weight

rob_s
04-12-10, 06:06
I have been looking for hot-weather rain gear, but seeing someone skiing in snow on the linked-to page does not do much to boost confidence that this product would fit my needs. ;)

seacoastnh
04-12-10, 06:37
REI is a major corporate sponser of the Sierre Club.

I would rather be wet.

mattjmcd
04-12-10, 10:40
I have been looking for hot-weather rain gear, but seeing someone skiing in snow on the linked-to page does not do much to boost confidence that this product would fit my needs. ;)

Well, maybe not, but the Shuksan jacket featured in the link has snow-specific features like the avalanche reflector and whatnot. Plus, at the end of the day the thing is basically a shell- base layer(s) underneath and all that. Really, this thing would be pretty good in FL I think.