PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with your SBR - Questions

Jon G23
04-30-07, 19:36
So I want to take my SBR on the road and have some questions.

1) When traveling around my home state, is there anything I need to have along, other than a copy of the stamped form?

2) When going out of state, driving my own vehicle.... let's say i am going camping.... what would I put as my purpose to take it out of my state? Could i just say "Vacation/Target shooting"? And for the address part... could i put "various locations throughout SD, WY and MT?

Thanks guys!

Jon

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 19:51
For #1- I hope the answer is nothing else. I do it all the time now!

Jon G23
04-30-07, 19:55
For #1- I hope the answer is nothing else. I do it all the time now!

For this purpose... does anyone know if a 50% reduced size copy is legal or do you need a full page copy? I'd like to reduce it a bit and maybe stuff it in my Maid Grip?!.

SuicideHz
04-30-07, 20:00
Your maid has a grip?

I have heard 50% reduced and LEGIBLE copies are kosher.

Jon G23
04-30-07, 20:07
Your maid has a grip?

Ummm.. yes, she has a great grip! yee haaa!!

Thanks!:D

Jon G23
05-01-07, 18:02
When going out of state, driving my own vehicle.... let's say i am going camping.... what would I put as my purpose to take it out of my state? Could i just say "Vacation/Target shooting"? And for the address part... could i put "various locations throughout SD, WY and MT?

Anyone done this... tri-state travel with an SBR?

nationwide
05-01-07, 18:58
I have read about people putting every reason under the sun on their 5320.20's.

From "competetion", "training class" to, get this... "Family Reunion" :D

If you want to take it out of state, why? Do you think you may need to shoot a target????????

Then put "target shooting" as your reason :cool:

Jon G23
05-01-07, 19:18
I have read about people putting every reason under the sun on their 5320.20's.

From "competetion", "training class" to, get this... "Family Reunion" :D

If you want to take it out of state, why? Do you think you may need to shoot a target????????

Then put "target shooting" as your reason :cool:

I also wonder how to put the destination address as "Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota campgrounds"????

nationwide
05-01-07, 19:20
I also wonder how to put the destination address as "Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota campgrounds"????

You have to have a specific address. Campgrounds work. You don't have to stay at particular campground your entire trip, but you should stay there at least once every time you enter the state to maintain "good faith" with your permission for temporary transport across state lines.

ETA: You have to have a separate 5320.20 for each state you plan on visiting IF you have the slightest intention of using the SBR. Otherwise, you just list your destination, and what states you will be passing through.

Jon G23
05-01-07, 20:18
You have to have a specific address. Campgrounds work. You don't have to stay at particular campground your entire trip, but you should stay there at least once every time you enter the state to maintain "good faith" with your permission for temporary transport across state lines.

ETA: You have to have a separate 5320.20 for each state you plan on visiting IF you have the slightest intention of using the SBR. Otherwise, you just list your destination, and what states you will be passing through.

I plan on "sleeping" in SD but during the days, we want to spend a day driving around in WY and one day in MT.... at ight we'll be back to our rented shack in SD though.

Does anyone have a phone number for NFA so i can ask them direct?

Thanks!

Tallteeth
09-23-07, 23:40
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong US Code, but 18 U.S.C - 922(a)(4) applies to interstate and foreign commerce. What other code section applies and requires the other forms to be filled out when travelling with an NFA weapon? I searched for and read 922 and found nothing.

CarlosDJackal
09-24-07, 00:05
So I want to take my SBR on the road and have some questions.

1) When traveling around my home state, is there anything I need to have along, other than a copy of the stamped form?

2) When going out of state, driving my own vehicle.... let's say i am going camping.... what would I put as my purpose to take it out of my state? Could i just say "Vacation/Target shooting"? And for the address part... could i put "various locations throughout SD, WY and MT?

Thanks guys!

Jon

1) I hope not, I do it all the time!!

2) The NFA Branch person I talked to said that I had to list the exact address I was going to be staying overnight at. In the case of my trip to Ohio, I had to list the Holiday Inn I stayed at. Am I glad that we didn't break down on that trip.

Sweep
09-24-07, 05:18
i just went thru this im shooting in Augusta Sc but sleeping in Augusta Ga they sent it back because it had no zip code wanting all addresses the gun was going to be at ... the when i questioned this i was told well we have to know where to come and get the gun if we need to :confused:

CarlosDJackal
09-26-07, 14:24
Also, when I asked NFA what I should do if I have to change hotels at the last minute I was told to just call them with the new information as soon as I knowfind out and they (the NFA Branch)would just note this on the applicable form.

SuicideHz
09-26-07, 19:32

That might look like you are going on a shooting spree!

:p

Hootiewho
09-29-07, 16:28
i just went thru this im shooting in Augusta Sc but sleeping in Augusta Ga they sent it back because it had no zip code wanting all addresses the gun was going to be at ... the when i questioned this i was told well we have to know where to come and get the gun if we need to :confused:

WTF?

Why in the world would they "need to come get it", and what would give them the right to come and take it?

That sounds screwed up.