PDA

View Full Version : Surefire flash hidder as good as Smith Enterprises Vortex/ AACBlackout?

alfred10
04-10-10, 17:34
Do the flash hiders on the Surefire flash hiders work really well? The flash hider is my largest hesitation in getting one for my M4.

Showbart
04-10-10, 18:01
......The flash hider is my largest hesitation in getting one for my M4.

I don't understand this.

Vortex was and is the standard and now the Blackout is in the hunt and nudging it out, by a hair, it appears. I have both. They both do the job like no other that I know of, but these are the only ones I've seen in person. There are comparison videos here and on the web. The Surefire does well, so does the YHM. But SEI and AAC rule the roost. For permanent attachment I would always go with the Vortex, it can be had pre-drilled, but if you have to drill them they have a wide band in which to drill. They are mil-parked too. The Blackout has narrow bands, not great for drilling after hardening, doesn't come pre-drilled that I know of, and is pure black. For screw and go on 16" and up I'd do the Blackout, keeping in mind it'll match most receivers but not all bbls.

JSGlock34
04-10-10, 20:35
There is a Surefire flash hider model - the SF556-215 - that is very similar in appearance to the Vortex and Blackout. It is a BE Meyers design. I haven't seen scientific comparisons, but I'd expect performance to be similar. Not easy to find though; I've only seen them for sale through MSTN.

Some pics here (http://www.defensereview.com/be-meyers-surefire-open-prong-flash-hidersadaptors-for-special-operations/).