PDA

View Full Version : ERGO or Hogue Pistol Grip?

Kilryth
04-10-10, 19:14
I am stuck deciding between a Hogue and Ergo Sure Pistol Grip. I liked the hogue, but it didn't feel as good as it could. It felt better than most grips I've felt on guns. I haven't gotten a chance to try the ERGO. Is it as soft/rubbery as the Hogue? Is it for bigger or smaller hands?

My favorite pistol is the Beretta 92FS because of its comfort and fit to my small hand. How does the ERGO Right Handed grip compare to the Ambidextrous? I know the right hand has a thumb shelf, but I don't know how much difference it makes.

Col_Crocs
04-10-10, 19:39
It's been a while since Ive used both but as far as I can recall, I Ergo wins out on ergonomics.
IMHO, neither come close to the ergonomics of the Magpul MIAD. I find the shelf on the MIAD keep my grip secure and in perfect position to use the selector. Texture is great as well but if youre set on a rubber coated grip, theyre coming out with a rubber coated MOE which is very close to the MIAD, just minus the A2 finger groove on the front.

Al U. 5811
04-10-10, 19:44
If the Beretta fits your hands then they are NOT small. I wear an XL/size11 glove and the M9, I feel, is too large for me (and 90% of the shooters I teach).

If it's a choice between those 2, go with the Ergo. The Hogue is garbage. Try the Magpul MIAD. While not rubber, it has a very tactile surface and interchangable front and back straps.

Kilryth
04-10-10, 21:13
I wonder how long it will be before the rubber-padded Magpul grip will be out. I will take a look at both Magpuls if I get a chance. Thank you for your replies.

Col_Crocs
04-10-10, 21:18
Not long I think. Probably sometime in the summer.

Redhat
04-10-10, 21:48
If the Beretta fits your hands then they are NOT small. I wear an XL/size11 glove and the M9, I feel, is too large for me (and 90% of the shooters I teach).

If it's a choice between those 2, go with the Ergo. The Hogue is garbage. Try the Magpul MIAD. While not rubber, it has a very tactile surface and interchangable front and back straps.

If you feel the Hogue is garbage at least maybe you could let everyne know why???

Thanks

Al U. 5811
04-10-10, 22:04
The Hogue uses a soft rubber compound. It feels, and wears, like an old BMX grip. Wow that makes me sound old. Most safety levers drag on them as well. At least those were my gripes with them a few years ago. I haven't handled one recently.

Redhat
04-10-10, 22:08
Thanks,

I have no experience with them. I recently replaced my stock grip and tried the Ergo, Tango Down and MOE. Due to hand size/finger length, I went with the MOE.

For the OP...As far as ergonomics goes, I don't really see how you can decide on the word of others...you have to handle them to see what works for you.

Al U. 5811
04-10-10, 22:15
Totally OT,

Redhat, what is the source of your username?

Bushytale
04-11-10, 05:10
The Hogue tapers from the top to the bottom getting fatter as it goes, very much like old style revolver grips. The finger grooves don't fit most people and the rubber surface is ok till your hands get wet then it becomes slippery. The Ergo feels better initially but is thin at the back making it feel smaller than it looks. The filler at the top rear should make it feel bigger but gets lost because of the thin profile of the rest of the grip. The Tango Down felt very close to a stock A2 grip without the finger groove, not different enough to bother changing. The MIAD is great because of the interchangeability to fit most hands, but I ended up with the medium back strap which is the same feel as the MOE. My hands are on the larger side but with fairly thin fingers and my wife has small hands and the MOE works well for both of us. I now have the MOE on all my AR lowers. Thank you once again MAGPUL! :cool:

Bushytale
04-11-10, 05:19
sorry!!! Forgot to say I agree 100% with Redhat. You have to feel it yourself.

I also tried some other grips with no luck. The so called 1911 grip which is made by Pearce, if I remember correctly, is more like a fat double stack Para Ordnance than a real 1911 grip. All you 1911 junkies, like me, don't waste your time.

jeremy stanke
04-11-10, 21:34
i really like the ergo ones, thats all i use now

kmrtnsn
04-11-10, 22:21
I have the Ergo grip and love it. I think the new rubber covered Magpul MOE will gve it a run for its money.

Merle
04-11-10, 22:53
My vote goes to ergo. They also sell a really thick one that is too fat in my opinion and it looks ridiculous. The ambi one is the best imho.

.45fmjoe
04-12-10, 00:12
I really like the ERGO but I want to try a MOE+ when they are released. I finger ****ed one at SHOT 2008 but that was so long ago I've completely forgotten what it felt like.

Jake Bauer
04-12-10, 00:49
Ergo's are nice.. but I'm waiting on the Magpul MOE +grip

Iraq Ninja
04-12-10, 05:45
If you feel the Hogue is garbage at least maybe you could let everyne know why???

Thanks

Because they often break, leaving you with a a California legal carbine.

They simply are not strong enough to take abuse, if that is important to you.

Hersh
04-12-10, 08:43
I am stuck deciding between a Hogue and Ergo Sure Pistol Grip.

I've tried both and the Ergo (ambi) feels better in my hand.

Kilryth
04-12-10, 08:52
I finally found a shop that had all the grips I wanted to try. Unfortunately, none of them are perfect for me. The Magpul MOE had the best fit to my hand, but it would be nice if it were rubberized. If the MOE+ isn't coming out within the next few months, I'm going to pickup the regular MOE.

The Hogue had a great fit, but I am concerned a bit with the finger grooves and the durability of the rubber. I couldn't get past how skinny the ERGO was; it just wasn't a solid feel to me. My hand wanted to rotate too much.

Tango Down felt great too; much better than stock. I don't know how the previous poster could compare the two.