PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new gun, Impressions.

Dragon Slayer
04-10-10, 19:50
I am a Glock man, as I have said before my favorite guns are the Glock 36/30 SF Hybrid in 45 ACP and my daily carry guns the Glock 26 and 19.

I decided I was going to try some different guns this week because I sold my Glock 23 and having some additional cash I decided to maybe buy something different. I looked at the Sig 229, HK P30, XD 4 inch, S&W M&P 9mm 4 inch and even a S&W 1911 PD commander.

So I shot the Sig 226 and 229 and considering that I used to carry a Sig 228 and 229 before I switched to the Glocks almost 20 years ago I thought I was going to like them again, but surprise I did not because even in 9mm the muzzle flip of the Sig was much more pronounced then the Glock. Also the Sig was bigger, heavier and bulkier with less capacity then the Glock 19 unless I bought some after market mags from Mec Gar.

The other factor was the different trigger on the Sig DA/SA which I could get used to but it was different never less.

The HK P30 fit my hand great better then anything but it was also bigger and bulkier then the G19 and the same went for the XD and both with their higher bore axis had more muzzle flip then my Glocks. I also heard that HK's customer service left a lot to be desired by a friend that had huge problems with them when his P30 broke down.

The M&P was another great fit and the gun was very nice, I might still consider it some day, but all in all none of the guns I tried and shot came to be as good as my Glocks.

So for the time being I bought 2000 rounds of Speer Lawman 9mm and will also buy some 45 ACP training ammo and keep the rest of the money in my pocket.

Now I do not work for Glock and I understand that people have their own preferences and to each his own, this are only my observations as they apply to me take it for what they are worth.

As I said the only gun I would consider to add to my guns is maybe an M&P 9mm in a 4 inch barrel which I might still do and if I do I shall ask you guys what improvements I should do to it when the time comes.:)

Safetyhit
04-11-10, 13:04
If it is of any assistance, the way your thread reads is a bit confusing. At first it seemed like you needed help deciding what manufacturer, then at the very end it went to what you should do to the gun if you even decide to get it.

May not have been the best way. Regardless, there are a ton of M&P threads here for you to gain such ideas from.

Dragon Slayer
04-11-10, 13:51
If it is of any assistance, the way your thread reads is a bit confusing. At first it seemed like you needed help deciding what manufacturer, then at the very end it went to what you should do to the gun if you even decide to get it.

May not have been the best way. Regardless, there are a ton of M&P threads here for you to gain such ideas from.

I did not think that my post was confusing? My post was to express my observations of various guns I tried and what I thought of them in comparison to the Glock's I own and carry for many many years.

The only gun I was thinking of that might have been a candidate was the M&P and this morning I tried it at the Seattle Police Range where I am a life member (34 Years) and found out that I still prefer the Glock 19 in comparison to it.

So the next gun I will purchase as soon as it comes out will be the Glock 19 Generation 4, of course after I let somebody else become the guinea pig first.

Currently as I said I own a Glock 19 RTF and a Glock 26 and of course the Glock 36/30SF Hybrid and after 20 years of carrying 24/7/365 and competing with Glocks I am very happy with their performance in every aspect so I shall stick with the Glock.

Safetyhit
04-11-10, 14:25
I was just trying to be helpful, as the ending did throw me a little and I thought that it was perhaps part of the reason no one had responded since you posted it yesterday. Could be wrong though.

Either way, I have never owned a M&P, so I can't be of any direct assistance other than what I said about the other threads to scour. Sorry.

Dragon Slayer
04-11-10, 14:34
I was just trying to be helpful, as the ending did throw me a little and I thought that it was perhaps part of the reason no one had responded since you posted it yesterday. Could be wrong though.

Either way, I have never owned a M&P, so I can't be of any direct assistance other than what I said about the other threads to scour. Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about and thanks for trying to help. Definitely No harm done, you misunderstood me or I did not express myself clearly, there is no need to help me with the M&P as I said because I decided to pass on it. Now if there were no more Glocks in this country the M&P would be my first choice.;):)

Redhat
04-11-10, 21:57
I was a little confused by your post also

My .02...if it ain't broke don't fix it. :cool:

operator81
04-12-10, 06:01
I was a little confused by your post also

My .02...if it ain't broke don't fix it. :cool:

+1. It sounds to me like you're a Glock man, nothing wrong with that. I do understand though how you're wanting to try something else as Glocks can be a little boring after a while. Have you thought of taking the $$$ from you G23 sale and putting it into training? You could pick up a thousand rounds of 9mm and take a 1-3 day training class which I suspect would re-ignite your interest in your Glocks. Kinda like taking a weekend retreat with the Mrs instead of trading her in on a new model. Cheaper in the long run and you already know how she works ;)

Dragon Slayer
04-12-10, 09:12
Gentleman I was just looking to see if there was something new under the sun and found out that for me the sun rises and sets with a Glock that's all.:)

About training, after 42 years of carrying, competing in GSSF, IPSC, IDPA and training and teaching, if I have not learned it yet then nothing will help me so I will save my bucks.;):D

When it comes to trading the wife after 39 years of marriage now that is a good or a very bad idea, it sounds good to do so but I don't think I would survive it so it is a really bad idea I agree.:eek: