PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Surefire M952.

AG42b
04-11-10, 10:18
Need a light for my AR.
I’ve seen some surplus Surefire M952 lights for $125-150 and those have my attention.
I’ve searched this forum and found some discussion about them but I have questions, still.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the surplus ones are only 65 lumens but I can buy a 120 lumen head from Surefire. The 120 lumen is a battery eater, though.
TNVC makes some replacement heads that have some awesome output but cost about the same as the surplus M952 itself so it would about double my expenditure.
This leaves us with 65 lumens. Are we talking about a concentrated beam or something that lights up an area?
Would 65 lumens be sufficient on a carbine? (I know that’s a subjective question, but……….:confused:)
Aside from the output question, any comments good or bad about this light would be useful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Chameleox
04-11-10, 10:46
I have a 952 on my work gun. I put in a surefire P60L drop in LED bulb. It goes in without any modification or adaptors. For my requirements (perimeter work, wooded environment clears, general patrol duties) I find that it has a fine blend of flood and throw.
The downside is that its a bulky light, and smaller lights can be had for less. A G2LED with a clicky tailcap and a decent mount can do about the same job for less weight and space, and might cost less.

AG42b
04-11-10, 11:52
Thanks Chamleox,

I'm looking at other possibilities, too.
Larue has some light and mount combo's using Surefire lights (Surefire 9P with one of their mounts comes to mind) and I really like doing business with Larue as long as they have what I need.
Other options are the Streamlight TLR-1s, Surefire X300, or for that matter dozens of others.
The choices are bewildering.

I'm wondering if since these M952's are being sold as surplus then they might be outdated.

Chameleox
04-11-10, 16:35
Outdated, maybe, but not obsolete.
Upgrade the bulb to LED for more lumens, recoil resistance, and run time, and you're good to go. It depends on what you're using the light for.
I like mine; my only complaint is the size and weight. Not a big issue, though.
Can't beat the price.

AG42b
04-12-10, 22:29
Thanks for your advice Chameleox,

After researching, pondering, and looking at all my options within a reasonable price range I decided to go with a Surefire X300 instead of the P952.

Thanks for your advice.

hdly2010
04-26-10, 21:34
I am a newbie here. I agree with the thread starter.