PDA

View Full Version : 9x19s pics made it to USPSAs Front Sight magazine

Robb Jensen
04-30-07, 21:44
If any of you are members of USPSA and got the latest copy of Front Sight magazine a picture of Phil Strader was credited to me, but it was really my wife that took the picture of Phil Strader and Todd Sindelar at the Area 7 3gun match in Harvard MA in 2006. I thought it was cool two of her pics made the magazine! :D

Phil, Todd and us traveled up together to Harvard MA in our Explorer. Area 7 puts on a hell of a match, if you can make please do, you won't be disappointed! Phil and Todd are both are down to earth guys, great shooters and a hell of a lot of fun to be around.

Phil drives like a nut! ;)

These are the 2 pics they used.
Phil Strader
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/philriflepaulrevere.jpg

Todd Sindelar
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/turtlebirdhunting.jpg

Todd is a US Capitol Police CERT member (and issued the HK416) he's in the 2nd to last photo at the bottom of this page http://www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm, you can see something red just over his left shoulder.

TY44934
05-24-07, 18:08
Great photo work!

Those are two of the top tactical shooters in the USA!

A few details on the rifle:

It was manufactured and assembled by Rock River Arms just for Phil.

Barrel is the RRA 16" S.S. mid-length - the one that is 1" under the handgaurds and yes its heavy. But accurate.

Mags are just regular aluminum and I don't think Phil was using the magpul followers then. RRA trigger.

Arrendondo base pads and dual-mag couplers though. Stock is an ACE Arms unit

Pistol grip is the A2 grip.

Compensator is a regular Miculek.

Scope is either a CQ/B or CQ/T.

At that time, there was issue ammo taken out of circulation because it was beyond whatever date that the gov. set for it, but still usuable & Phil was issued that ammo for training & disposal purposes. I recall it had a blackened-brass case - might have been some sort of Hornady TAP load. Probably would have still worked for its intended purpose, but all LEO orgnizations routinely rotate their issue ammo. Believe that everyone generally uses 55 grain since range at a real USPSA 3gun rarely exceeds 350 yards and there is not a huge benefit to heavier bullets.

As far as equipment, it does not take anything too exotic to win. However, it does take a lot of practice and ability.

Enjoy.

Robb Jensen
05-25-07, 04:50
Doug,
As you know I shoot in Tactical division as well as Todd and Phil. To me it's the most fun division to shoot. For those that don't understand the difference between USPSA divisions.

Limited:
pistol = any legal USPSA Limited pistol per USPSA rules.
shotgun = pump or semi auto with iron sights and no more than 8 round capacity magazine, no porting or optics allowed, no load tubes.
rifle = any semi auto rifle, irons sights only, no bipod allowed. Flash hider/comp/brake is allowed to be no more than 1" wide by 3" long.

Tactical:
pistol = same as Limited
shotgun = same as Limited
rifle = same as Limited but may have 1 optic

Open:
pistol = any legal Open pistol per USPSA rules.
shotgun = pump or semi-auto with a capacity of no more than a 10 round magazine. Optics, porting and load tubes are allowed.
rifle = any semi auto rifle, optics (and more than 1) are allowed, bipod allowed, no restriction on comp/brake size.

If you don't make Major power factor which is 165 (bullet weight times velocity divided by 1000) then you will be scored as Minor which can really hurt you in points.

My 3 gun firearms are:
Custom built STI 2011 Limited pistol. (.40 S&W)
Benelli M1 Super 90 (12ga with 8 shot mag, standard style stock)
16" (gotm4 built!) Frankengun AR.

TY44934
05-25-07, 13:00
Great outline GotM4!

Quick clarification: 3gun or multigun breaks down into 2 groups:

1) USPSA (the US affiliat of "IPSC" - ie the sport Col. Cooper started) and

2) All other 3gun/multigun including Ft. Benning U.S. Arm Marksmanship Unit's match, Ironman, Mystery Mountain, the old "SOF" match, all IDPA side match, etc. Rules vary from match to match.

GotM4 & I have shot both and they are great practice & a good time.

If you want info on USPSA, try www.USPSA.com Far as I know, there is no central database for listing the non-USPSA 3gun/multigun shoots.

Regards,

D.

PS - I am off to the islands now to "git hitched" so they say.

Robb Jensen
05-25-07, 16:02
PS - I am off to the islands now to "git hitched" so they say.

Doug,
Bring me back some good RUM ! :D