PDA

View Full Version : Should I leave it be, or cold blue it?

jasonb
04-11-10, 14:14
Guys,
I installed a VLTOR CASV-M yesterday with a VLTOR clamp on gas block on my LMT 16in. upper. I am left with a band of unfinished metal from the old A2 front sight assembly. What is a good way protect that metal, I have some cold blue?

skyugo
04-11-10, 14:17
i'd give the cold blue a shot. i think they have some DIY parkerizing kits available.
could get all crazy and duracoa the whole thing..

bkb0000
04-11-10, 14:21
cold blue works great, if you do it right. make sure to chemically strip the SHIT out of the spot... use something that doesn't condense, like acetone or good ol' lacquer thinner (i prefer lacquer thinner), and scrub the whole area. then drench it in cold blue with a cotton ball or q-tip, and even scrub the solution on the metal. if you get beading or uneven coverage, strip it again with the solvent, and try again.

if you can get a good, black, even coat, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Quib
04-11-10, 14:47
If you can find it, try the G96 brand of Cold Blue. I’ve had positive results with it, and it blends in nicely with the surrounding park finish on most parts.

jasonb
04-11-10, 14:54
It's kinda hidden under the rail. I think I'll try my Birchwood-Casey cold blue first. Thanks guys!

Belmont31R
04-11-10, 16:17
Ive used the cold blue before, and one thing to take into consideration is the blue is a type of rust. You need to wipe the residue off with an oily rag afterwards. If you leave the residue on there you will get red rust within a week.

You can also apply more than 1 coat, and the finish will get deeper.