PDA

View Full Version : rifle competition with use of sling?

sdm74
04-11-10, 19:24
are there any carbine competitions out there where you can actually use a sling?

i shot my first match today and 3 out of 4 stages you started with rifle on table

so use of a sling would not be efficient.
by the time you got sling on and in position, someone else not using sling would be half done stage.

the other stage you shot from behind wall from both sides so again you wouldn't really want to be messing with a sling..

so the practicing with the sling i have been doing didn't help much today, as far as how the 2 point V-tac sling really ties your gun into your body.

i would like to find a competition where you can use the sling more, are there any?

thanks
Steve

RogerinTPA
04-11-10, 19:35
Have you taken any formal carbine training? If not, you will learn to be ambidextrous with your carbine and sling. There are various methods to switch from shoulder to shoulder (Neck loop, QD swivel mounted to the receiver end plate, etc...) and get effective hits with a sling attached. You'll have to practice to get good.

rob_s
04-12-10, 05:59
sounds like you shot IPSC/USPSA three-gun or two-gun.

At my matches a sling is required, like a holster is required for a handgun. You typically start slung and you transition to the handgun at least once per match.

sdm74
04-12-10, 11:39

At my matches a sling is required, like a holster is required for a handgun. You typically start slung and you transition to the handgun at least once per match.

Thats exactly the type of match im shooting...ipsc which is still a good time ....but,

what you explained is the type of match i would like to try...know any in the mid-atlantic area?

Steve
04-12-10, 20:02
we do all the above and more
WWW.ACTSHOOTERS.COM

:D

Cold
04-13-10, 08:55

Some examples below:

I have yet to go to a USPSA 3 gun/multi gun that required a sling. Only matches that may require it are outlaw matches not USPSA events.

LaRue 3 Gun has some stages that require a sling. BRM3Gun next weekend requires a sling on rifle and shogun for some stages.

Its a good idea to always bring a sling for each long gun, but I rarely use them in competition (3 gun) at least thus far, its rare anyway.

Local matches can do their own thing of course, but USPSA sanctioned matches do not require them as far as I know.

rob_s
04-13-10, 09:19
When we first started we had a guy come out and ask where his carpeted table was to set his rifle on when he transitioned to pistol! :eek:

I told him USPSA three-gun was on the second Tuesday, this is the fourth Tuesday. :D

It's not a matter of right or wrong IMHO, it's just different priorities. Having the ability to transition by slinging the carbine and drawing the pistol is a big part of what we are about, and we try to incorporate it into as many matches and stages as we are able.

That said, it's also the cause of our biggest safety concerns and the reason we don't allow new shooters off the street. There is some kind of brain disconnect, or brain overload, when you ask some shooters to be responsible for two loaded firearms at once.