PDA

View Full Version : New Build, Thoughts, Comments, Opinions?

payj
04-11-10, 22:50
So I want to start a new build in hopefully a few months. I have thought about what I want/need for quite some time. I have been reading and reading and reading about AR's over the last 6 months and have learned quite a bit. Now that I have a grasp I want to build what will be imo the ultimate rifle. Again, imo. :)

Here is what I have come up with. I may be missing something. This will be my first build so bare with my ignorance. Also, please suggest superior parts as you may know something I don't.

Thank you to all that comment!!! :)

-Upper: Mega Monolithic Rail system mid-length

-Lower: Mega Billet GTR3H

-Barrel: Centurion Arms Hammer Forged

-LPK: G&R

-BCG: FailZero

-Receiver Kit: The one that comes with the Emod through Vltors site

-Stock: Vltor Emod

-Grip: Magpul Miad

-Trigger: Geissele SSA

-Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter Mod 4

-Sights: Troy front and rear with tritium

-Optics: Trijicon Acog TA33GH in a Larue mount. Aimpoint T1 in a Larue offset mount maybe added later.

Thank you

spamsammich
04-11-10, 23:33
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain that the barrel you want is the CHF N4 barrel from Noveske, it is not offered as a stand alone product. You typically cannot get it unless it comes from a Noveske retailer as part of an upper assembly.

Also, assuming you mean that you want a Magpul UBR, you will not need a receiver extension but you will need a spring and buffer.

payj
04-11-10, 23:43
Noveske barrel:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=965

About the stock. Ok thanks for the info.

kmrtnsn
04-11-10, 23:54
If you are partial to the pinch method of working the charging handle then I would recommend a good set of gloves to use with the BCM; they bite.

twitch1706
04-11-10, 23:58
I was under the impression that the BCM/Vltor Gunfighter charging handle was designed to prevent getting bitten by it?

:confused:

spamsammich
04-12-10, 00:02
Noveske barrel:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=965

About the stock. Ok thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure if you meant the SS or not. That's gonna be a heavy rifle, you might want to consider a bipod.

scottd907
04-12-10, 00:18
What are you using the rifle for? Sounds like about 4500bucks of kickass. IMO, I'd rather own a SCAR or Masada or even a nice POF. But very nice selection of parts, don't mind me, I'm sure it will be a great shooter once you done with it.

Scott

payj
04-12-10, 01:15
I wasn't sure if you meant the SS or not. That's gonna be a heavy rifle, you might want to consider a bipod.

What is the SS barrel? Went to their website couldnt find it?

To all: what would you think about doing this rig gas piston? Would it be any better? If so what if anything do I need to change?

scottd907
04-12-10, 02:50
What is the SS barrel? Went to their website couldnt find it?

To all: what would you think about doing this rig gas piston? Would it be any better? If so what if anything do I need to change?

SS=stainless steel.

Well going that way would mean your upper receiver and bolt wouldn't be as dirty or effected by some of the heat transfer from the hot gases. More moving parts, but you could probably run your AR all day and only adding a few drops of oil here and there. Maybe a quick bore clean with the snake and your good to go.

To make your AR a gas piston rifle you'll need to buy either a kit(bolt, piston, gas block, and handguards). Or take the easy way and buy a nice complete gas piston upper. Cost you a couple more hundred then the upper that you have planned to build.

spamsammich
04-12-10, 03:10
but you could probably run your AR all day and only adding a few drops of oil here and there. Maybe a quick bore clean with the snake and your good to go.

That's interesting, people already do this all the time to keep DI guns up and running. If you want a piston gun, buy one that was specifically designed with that system in mind. An AR is not that gun. There are several problems with conversions that make them less than ideal and in some cases, poorly designed hacks that can be prone to reliability issues.

Pappabear
04-12-10, 05:54
Badass setup, however, I would just get a full gun from Colt, 6920 / 6940 maybe a Daniel Defense then dress it up. Or just buy a Noveske straight up. How bout a Noveske Upper Middy with rail, and a BCM or LMT lower.

You gunna have a nice weapon either way. Send Pics.

payj
04-12-10, 14:39
Papabear: The thought had crossed my mind. I wanted to just buy the new larue obr 5.56. But there is no real word on when there going to be out. I emailed them just to ask and whoever replied said he did not know.

So, I thought myself why don't I just build my own. It would be completely custom! Idk just sounds fun to me. Also, the second I saw that Mega upper I knew I had to have one. I just love how it is one piece!

To all: Ok the gas piston rig sounds like a future project, if at all. Sounds like there are kinks still to be worked out with the kits. I'll stick to the tried and true.

So is this rifle complete? Am I missing something? It would be a great help to me to suggest stocks and their kits. Was the one I linked from larue ok? Any info would be great.

Spammsammich: Could you expand on the problems with the gas piston kits? I want to learn! :)

Trajan
04-12-10, 15:02
Personally I would go with the mount that places the T-1 on top of the ACOG.

spamsammich
04-12-10, 15:46
Everybody mentions how hot the AR DI bolt gets, 87GN made strides toward disproving this issue, his results have been posted in a technical thread. Nobody really talks about how flippin hot the piston/op rod gets during operation. There have been reports of gas blocks on piston systems breaking or coming loose during classes, EAG tactical posted an AAR with photo evidence of this.

With a piston system, you're adding heavy components, more complexity and reciprocating mass above the center line of the bore, this is thought to influence accuracy and speed of follow up shots. most piston systems make the BCG tilt because the bearing surfaces weren't design take the load from an op-rod slamming into the carrier key and slam into the leading edge of the receiver extension. A DI BCG moves straight back along the bore axis.

Also, consider the fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harold is putting out their own piston kit or conversion or rifle with little to no commonality between the different brands. What's going to happen when the smaller boutique companies go TU and you can't get replacement parts for your rig? I'm sure there is plenty I'm missing or wrong about, but you asked for opinions and I opined. YMMV. Also, there is a metric shit ton of info on piston systems including some like ADC's that seem to work pretty well, and there are parts that address carrier tilt like Seth Hartness's custom buffer. Be at one with the search button ;)

I would much rather have something like a XCR, ACR, AK, or SCAR that is designed with the piston system in mind and can take advantage of the benefits of such a system like the ability to have a folding stock to improve handling in vehicles.

ForTehNguyen
04-12-10, 16:11
Everybody mentions how hot the AR DI bolt gets, 87GN made strides toward disproving this issue, his results have been posted in a technical thread. Nobody really talks about how flippin hot the piston/op rod gets during operation. There have been reports of gas blocks on piston systems breaking or coming loose during classes, EAG tactical posted an AAR with photo evidence of this.

DI bolts dont get that hot, tests here show the bolt was 94 degF after 30 rounds, when the barrel was near 150-200 degF
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51218

djegators
04-12-10, 17:50
My amateur two cents worth (little or no value really):

Buy a Noveske 2nds stripper lower, a G&R LPK, a Magpul UBR, and colt H buffer and spring. OR buy a BCM or DD complete lower.

Buy a Noveske complete low profile upper (includes BCG and BUIS)

Pick either the TA33 or T1 (consider the H1 one as well, to save a few bucks).

And forget the piston deal, stick with a mid length DI system

PS: you can buy a Noveske complete rifle for close to the same price as parting it out, and then add the UBR if you desire.

For anyone to give better advice, you should state your intended use and budget.

Hard to go wrong with Noveske though:

http://i41.tinypic.com/20qxp2o.jpg

payj
04-12-10, 17:59
djegators: Intended use is shtf gun. I want quality parts but at the same time have my own "style" if you will mixed with functionality. I was thinking of sticking with the mega lower just because it is suppose to match with their mono upper very well. I know very well I could have a already built quality rifle for much less. I just feel like doing a build. On top of that, I can buy parts over time making it less painful on the wallet.

Why would you do a G&R lpk over DD?

payj
04-12-10, 18:00
Spam: Thanks for the info on that I appreciate it....

leopard hound
04-12-10, 18:19
as for the ACOG, look into the ta31trd or the ta31doc a seriously sweet f@$*ing optic......

payj
04-30-10, 13:51
Updated list. What do you all think?

Just got the upper! Man that hurt the wallet! Oh well its going toward a good cause :)

AEROX711
04-30-10, 21:20
Did you go with the Mega upper?

payj
04-30-10, 21:50
yes sir! got the mts-300 (midlenth) version of their quad monolithic :cool:

Jungo2
05-04-10, 21:18
Payj,
I just bought the same Mega Upper and lower combination. I'm having them shipped directly to Spike's Tactical where they will implement the Mega combo into a custom build. Great people. It's going to be a 16" DI mid-length, Magpul ACS stock and Miad grip, nickle-boron BCG and LPK, Troy BUIS. I'm putting a Trijicon TA45-2 ACOG on top. I wanted a reasonably light, high-quality carbine for range and competition. This should do the trick.

mattjmcd
05-04-10, 21:45
I was under the impression that the BCM/Vltor Gunfighter charging handle was designed to prevent getting bitten by it?

:confused:

I think it might just be a personal issue. Most of my buddies have 0 issues. My hands get bitten from time to time, though.

payj
06-08-10, 22:53
Well a few months have gone by and I have slowly got some parts.

I currently have the upper, barrel (centurion arms), gas block and Brake (pws556). I plan on ordering the stock, lpk, grip and trigger on Monday. That leaves me with the bcg and charging handle. The bcg is out of stock at the moment so I am going to wait on that.

I am trying to buy parts that I need help to install first. I am hoping to have it all put together around mid-July.

I am most likely going to have Rainier Arms put it together for me. I have none of the tools required so I think it would be best. Has anyone had them do work for them? What are peoples impressions with them as far as gunsmithing goes? I live in the Seattle area, if there are any gunsmiths you think would do a better job in the area let me know.

DYI01
06-09-10, 10:07
Nice parts list, I recently built a rifle using the standard Mega billet upper and lower receivers. IMO if you have any type of mechanical skills and can follow directions it is very easy to build an AR15 with a few tools. The only specialized tools you really need are some type of vice block, and a combo wrench, that is assuming you have other commonly found hand tools. The parts are all modular so as long as all the parts are in spec it will go together super easy. It is also very rewarding knowing that you built the rifle from a pile of parts.

payj
06-09-10, 23:14
Ya I was anything to do it myself, but I have none of the tools needed. I have no vice/gun vice or anything else. I also need a torque wrench to properly install the barrel to the upper, which I do not have. So, at this point it will be cheaper and less of a headache to have it put together.

payj
06-15-10, 02:33
Just got the emod today, lpk is on its way too! I should get this thing put together next week, minus the bcg (out of stock atm) CH and trigger. It will at least look like a rifle. Those three items are basically drop-in so I don't need any help with them... Will post pics when its done! :)

payj
06-27-10, 14:09
Well it is getting built! Took it to Rainier earlier this week. I will most likely pick it up the week after the 4th. I will post picks asap.

Thanks for all help and comments!