PDA

View Full Version : M&P9c. Trying to adapt to my new Apex Sear.

ChocLab
04-11-10, 23:06
Two months ago, I got an M&P9c. My first time range out looked like this:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/th_MP9cFirstTime.jpg

I have been practicing a couple times of week by shooting at a playing card within an envelope getting all my shots on the playing card at over 7 to 8 yds.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/MP9cB4.jpg?t=1271044830

I got the apex sear last week. My first range session went well. My next was horrific. Today, I missed my first 8 shots entirely on the envelope.

I put up the diagnosis chart to shoot at. Now here is where it is strange.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/MP9canalysis-2.jpg?t=1271045449

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/?action=view&current=MP9canalysis-1.jpg

Normally, I am a low left shooter when I get sloppy but now I am high left with with either too little trigger finger or even more so, pushing anticipating recoil.

Had too shoot my Sig 226 to make myself feel better which is dead on center for that distance. No issues.

Is this normal when you go to a lighter trigger? Where I use to jerk the trigger and break my wrist down which I have corrected, now I have this.

I don't want to go back to the regular trigger and am going to keep working on it! I plan to continue to dryfire also.

Any hints would be helpful.

I want to switch to the M&P line but this has me concerned. It may just be a matter of working through it but it really shocked me to miss the envelope 8 times in a row.

operator81
04-12-10, 05:55
I've found for myself that moving to a lighter trigger can mess me up a bit until I get used to it. Just do a lot of dry fire and slow fire drills focusing on trigger pull and trigger reset. If after a while you're still having trouble, just reinstall the factory setup and move on. Lighter/shorter triggers aren't for everyone.

John_Wayne777
04-12-10, 10:05
OK...I've seen that chart a bunch and it's always annoyed the living dickens out of me. Yes, it's possible to diagnose some problems by where the bullets land on target, but there is no way in hell that piece of paper can always accurately diagnose what is going on with every shot because it has no way of measuring what was going on in your head and behind the gun. Using that piece of paper on your first range outing would have probably resulted in a similar diagnosis based on your target.

Forget about that thing.

Find a 1" square like a pastie or even draw one with a sharpie on a 3x5" card. Set that up at 3 yards. Aim carefully and shoot a 5 shot group into that 1" square. If you can do it at 3, take the card out to 4 yards. If you can do it at 4 yards, take it out to 5. Focus all of your attention on perfect sight alignment and perfect trigger manipulation.

You should be able to call your shots...meaning determine where your bullets are going by seeing where the front sight lifts...which will tell you what you are doing. If you see the sight dip, it's anticipation. If you see it shift left or right, you are torquing the handgun. Etc.

Randy Lee
04-12-10, 10:35
Greetings,

Along with what others have posted, I would also rule out the mechanical side. Is the ammo that you were using the same as range sessions prior? Also check to see if your sights are mechanically centered- there have been a few occasions where the front or rear sight are loose in the dovetails, and have shifted during firing.

While it is possible that the issue is a result of adapting to a lighter trigger, it is not a common occurrence in my experience.

Our sear usually drops the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs in a non-MA compliant pistol. Lighter than factory, but not absurdly light.

-Randy

ChocLab
04-12-10, 15:03
OK...I've seen that chart a bunch and it's always annoyed the living dickens out of me. Yes, it's possible to diagnose some problems by where the bullets land on target, but there is no way in hell that piece of paper can always accurately diagnose what is going on with every shot because it has no way of measuring what was going on in your head and behind the gun. Using that piece of paper on your first range outing would have probably resulted in a similar diagnosis based on your target.

Forget about that thing.

Find a 1" square like a pastie or even draw one with a sharpie on a 3x5" card. Set that up at 3 yards. Aim carefully and shoot a 5 shot group into that 1" square. If you can do it at 3, take the card out to 4 yards. If you can do it at 4 yards, take it out to 5. Focus all of your attention on perfect sight alignment and perfect trigger manipulation.

You should be able to call your shots...meaning determine where your bullets are going by seeing where the front sight lifts...which will tell you what you are doing. If you see the sight dip, it's anticipation. If you see it shift left or right, you are torquing the handgun. Etc.

Will give it a try. Thank you.

ChocLab
04-12-10, 15:05
Greetings,

Along with what others have posted, I would also rule out the mechanical side. Is the ammo that you were using the same as range sessions prior? Also check to see if your sights are mechanically centered- there have been a few occasions where the front or rear sight are loose in the dovetails, and have shifted during firing.

While it is possible that the issue is a result of adapting to a lighter trigger, it is not a common occurrence in my experience.

Our sear usually drops the trigger pull down to about 4 lbs in a non-MA compliant pistol. Lighter than factory, but not absurdly light.

-Randy

Used the same ammo. I will check the sights. The trigger is just under 4lbs.

ChocLab
04-12-10, 23:23
Greetings,

Also check to see if your sights are mechanically centered- there have been a few occasions where the front or rear sight are loose in the dovetails, and have shifted during firing.

-Randy

Bingo! The rear sight drifted way over.
I feel so dumb I didn't notice it.

Thanks Randy. Can't way to enjoy your product now.

JSantoro
04-13-10, 00:23
Forget about that thing.
Hell, yeah. It only applies to one-handed shooting, anyway, designed back in the day when you shot with one hand and put the other in your pocket or in the small of your back.

Disregard it as a good example of how to miss the forest for the trees.

orionz06
04-13-10, 11:06
Shoot the pistol from a rest and see what happens.

ChocLab
07-05-10, 20:59
I forgot to post when the issue was fixed but wanted to let Randy know how happy I am with the product.

Randy was right about the sights instead of the sear. It was my sights which I sent back to Smith and Wesson who realigned them and sent back no issue.

These are pics that I took the first day I got the pistol back in May from S&W.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/MP9cShrunk.jpg?t=1278380184

I have been getting better with the sear in the last two months.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/ChocLab1/MP9c/SnowmanShrunk.jpg?t=1278380966

I like it so much, I bought an M&P45 from Grant at G&R with the Apex Sear installed. I shoot it just the same :)

I am getting addicted to these M&P's.

Randy Lee
07-05-10, 21:11
I gotta share this with Lisa and Scott. It always makes us feel good when we get positive feedback.

It is also good to hear that you like the platform enough to buy a new one!
I must confess,that I chose an M&P certificate off of the revolver championship prize table, and am awaiting another 9L for my game gun.

I am definitely addicted...

- Randy

willowofwisp
07-05-10, 22:15
Nice shooting...i can't wait for the day when I can shoot my model 10 ppc built revolver as well as my m&p 9L..one day lol.

I just ordered a 9c from grant at G&R on friday..should be here soon i hope.