PDA

View Full Version : M&P9c production year and issues?

Cazwell
04-12-10, 00:24
My wife is looking for a smaller carry piece during the summer. She really likes the M&P's and an M&P9c just popped up on a local site. Gun, 3 mags, two holsters for $475... seemed like a decent buy?

Any how, I am not overly familiar with the weapon, I have heard good things, but also hear a lot about mag release problems and trigger issues that have gotten better as kinks have been worked out.

This particular piece was purchased new in 08.. any production years or model numbers to stay away from?

Thanks

GaryXD
04-12-10, 06:32
I strongly recommend getting a 2010 gun. I've owned eight M&P's since 2006. To me it's a no-brainer to pay the extra $50 and get a recent gun.

RogerinTPA
04-12-10, 07:21
I own 4 M&Ps since 07. Great weapon. If you can, get a current production model and should be ok stock. If you go with the 08, then I'd advise to replace the stock sear with the Apex sear. I never had any issues with the stock sear or trigger, but adding the Apex sear, reduces the trigger pull and makes a more noticeable trigger reset, if that matters to you and the wife.

Drew78
04-12-10, 07:41
I own 4 M&Ps since 07. Great weapon. If you can, get a current production model and should be ok stock. If you go with the 08, then I'd advise to replace the stock sear with the Apex sear. I never had any issues with the stock sear or trigger, but adding the Apex sear, reduces the trigger pull and makes a more noticeable trigger reset, if that matters to you and the wife.

Is Smith putting an Apex sear, or an updated sear in the current production gus? Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but thats what I got from it...

Thanks!

RogerinTPA
04-12-10, 07:49
Is Smith putting an Apex sear, or an updated sear in the current production gus? Maybe I am misinterpreting your post, but thats what I got from it...

Thanks!

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I meant you should order the Apex sear and have it installed. I don't think S&W is installing any Apex sears. BUT....G&RTactical.com, sells them with the Apex sear installed as an option.

Drew78
04-12-10, 07:51
Got it, thanks for the reply.

You arent dealing with the "sharpest knife in the drawer" when it comes to me...

Take care-

Drew

Cazwell
04-12-10, 10:17
Gary,

What will be improved with the 2010 gun? Are their actual improvements to the design, or are you simply speaking of wear and tear?

Otherwise, it sounds like an Apex sear is the main change needed and it sounds like that applies to any production year, correct?

javentre
04-12-10, 10:29
FWIW: I have (2) 2010 production M&P 9mm guns. They both have Apex sears.

Older guns would most likely have the older strikers, which don't do well with dry fire. S&W will replace them if they break.

Beat Trash
04-12-10, 11:35
I would price a new M&P9c in your market area. That would be the deciding factor to me as to whether or not to buy the one you saw for $475.

I bought my M&P9c the first year they came out with the 9c. I have had no issues with it.

The striker has been changed, but S&W will take care of older ones if you break it. I read alot on the internet about breaking strikers. I take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt.

My department issues the M&P9. We've had around 1,150 guns in the field for 4 years now. We highly encourage dryfire practice. I have checked with our armors. So far to date, they have had to replace one striker.

We received the first 3 M&P9's to ever leave the factory, as T&E guns, when we were looking to transition from the previous duty weapons. I personally put 2K through one of them. I mention this only to give a reference as to how long I've been exposed to the platform.

About 2 years into issuing the M&P, noticed that replacement sears were different than what was in the guns. Went from a blued part to a shinny MIM sear. The new sears seemed a bit better than the other ones, when new, as it relates to trigger pull. Don't know if these are outsourced by Apex or not. From talking with various S&W reps, I personally would be surprised if they were.

M&P's trigger pulls, at least the 9mm's, tend to really improve with usage. Clean it, oil it, and shoot the piss out of it.

timbo813
04-12-10, 13:39
Personally, I would rather pay $50 more for a new one. But, if you can get a larger difference or really like the holsters I wouldn't be scared of the used either. If it breaks, S&W will fix it.

See if you can talk the guy selling it down a bit.

GaryXD
04-12-10, 15:52
Gary,

What will be improved with the 2010 gun? Are their actual improvements to the design, or are you simply speaking of wear and tear?

Otherwise, it sounds like an Apex sear is the main change needed and it sounds like that applies to any production year, correct?

First of all, finish. If you can compare that gun with a 2010 gun you should see a very noticeable difference in finish. I have an M&P back to S&W right now for a finish issue. It is a hassle to send them back.

Second would be the striker. The 2010 will have the new silver striker. That should reduce the likelihood of breakage.

Early Compacts had issues with early slide lockback. What would happen is that the slide would lock back with one round left in the magazine. S&W did three things to correct this in the newer guns. They put in a stronger slide stop spring. They also made two changes to the magazines. Stronger springs and redesigned followers. They have actually changed the 9mm and 40cal followers twice.

The sights are also different. The new ones have stepped rear sights which allow for one handed racking. They also have smaller rear dots. The larger dots on the early guns don't play well with my eyes.

Read through this for other issues:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showforum=14

Concerning the Apex question, regardless of year of production I change the sear and striker block to the Apex parts. It makes a world of difference.

Cazwell
04-12-10, 18:17
First of all, finish. If you can compare that gun with a 2010 gun you should see a very noticeable difference in finish. I have an M&P back to S&W right now for a finish issue. It is a hassle to send them back.

Second would be the striker. The 2010 will have the new silver striker. That should reduce the likelihood of breakage.

Early Compacts had issues with early slide lockback. What would happen is that the slide would lock back with one round left in the magazine. S&W did three things to correct this in the newer guns. They put in a stronger slide stop spring. They also made two changes to the magazines. Stronger springs and redesigned followers. They have actually changed the 9mm and 40cal followers twice.

The sights are also different. The new ones have stepped rear sights which allow for one handed racking. They also have smaller rear dots. The larger dots on the early guns don't play well with my eyes.

Read through this for other issues:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showforum=14

Concerning the Apex question, regardless of year of production I change the sear and striker block to the Apex parts. It makes a world of difference.

Good information, thanks.

Do you know when they changed the slide stop spring and followers/springs?

The issue isn't money really, its that I was raised by rednecks and indoctrinated with the idea of buying all guns from private parties, rather than be a blip on the screen so to speak. I know, probably silly.

GaryXD
04-12-10, 19:57
"Do you know when they changed the slide stop spring and followers/springs?"

2009 I think.

Silly? That's your decision to make.

Tennvol12345
04-13-10, 21:38
Hopefully the finish gets a little more durable. I have a 9C with the older dull finish and a 45C with the new shiny black finish. The newer finish is showing pretty dramatic holster wear while the 9C still looks new. Hopefully the 45C doesn't rust in the humid VA summer.