PDA

View Full Version : I give you the results of an Ex-wife and NY's AWB interface

Pathfinder Ops
04-12-10, 17:56
I have many opinions about this.... none of them would be a good idea to publish.

And no this is not me or my "ex."

Someone once asked my why I don't encourage my wife to "get into shooting."

This was never one of the reasons I had ever considered for not getting her into it. But you can bet that it is now on my radar.

http://www.thedailystar.com/local/local_story_102040011.html

Not that I perceive any un-pleasantries in our future........ But I bet this poor schmuck didn't see this coming either.

I'm just sayin..........:eek:

Irish
04-12-10, 19:16
But I bet this poor schmuck didn't see this coming either.
I hope she doesn't see it coming either.

Macx
04-12-10, 19:52
But if it is an old enough regular capacity mag, it is legal? Hmm, might be okay on the day "reasonable doubt" is the ruling principle. How are they going to prove it isn't an old mag?

WesleyCE
04-12-10, 21:22
Don't most magazines have a date of manufacture stamped on them somewhere?

Palmguy
04-12-10, 21:54

Glock mags do not...at least not that I've seen.

The followers have a rev number on them that I guess could be theoretically tracked to a date range, but followers can be swapped out between mags.

Left Sig
04-12-10, 22:08
Glock mags do not...at least not that I've seen.

The followers have a rev number on them that I guess could be theoretically tracked to a date range, but followers can be swapped out between mags.

So how does a reasonable person who is not an expert in firearms tell the difference between a legal pre-ban magazine, and an unmarked post-2004 magazine? Is the average person expected to know the intricacies of magazine design revisions, such as changes to the mag catch notch, or other features?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-12-10, 22:43
Probably a really good example of a time when the less you say to the cops the better. Nothing would be the best thing for your lawyer to work with.

A good lawyer might even be able to get the rap pinned on the wife.

Mac5.56
04-12-10, 23:47
Wow, two examples of the stupidity of NY gun laws in one day. Amazing, I never saw that one coming.

This is laughable. I have pre-ban magazines only. Are they stamped? Nope. So how is someone to tell, as you all have asked? They're not. It is so insane it is beyond belief. I could have a million pre-ban magazines all loaded to capacity, and be fine, but if I have one post ban I am breaking NY gun law. I actually hope that this guy takes this to court all the way through as this is something that actually needs to be addressed in this state. I wonder if the NRA would take up the cause and help him out? Furthermore, when considering that I have gone to gun shows and seen thousands of 30 rnd AR mags with no date stamp, and a lot of these vendors are from out of state, and when asked all of them say their mags are pre ban. :rolleyes:

I also can't have a "collapsable" stock on my AR, but since the stock is 'fixed' I can buy the PRS and have it installed. But yet both styles are designed to adjust the stock for the shooter. When you consider the idea of concealing the firearm as the primary reasoning behind this portion of the law then why can I buy a bullpup?

I'm sure you all had these conversations endlessly when the entire nation was under the ban, but it drives me f@cking crazy.

Did you all know that in Westchester County NY there is a law that you can not apply for a pistol permit unless you have purchased a pistol? And that in NY state, and Westchester you are not allowed to touch a pistol, or hold a pistol without a permit? Therefore you have to purchase said pistol prior to applying to own it, having never held it. After you are approved you can then go to the store and pick it up while it waits on hold for you. One gun shop said their return rate on sales to owners in that County is above 50%. There is also a gun smith at a local Gander Mnt that moved from out of state and has had his pistols at the shop for over a year while waiting for the permit process to go through. He can work on guns, but not have one in his home.

SIGguy229
04-13-10, 14:42

No. Why would they do that?

They don't expire....

This is a stupid law (but hey, it's NY)...I think the burden should be on the DA to prove it's a post-ban mag...you know, have the state prove their case to determine your guilt....not you proving your innocence over an accessory.

And the people who commented on the article stating "why would someone need a clip like this?"....and similar comments.....are complete farkin idiots.

Trajan
04-13-10, 14:47
I would just move then, that's horrible.

Here in Ohio, we have a stupid law like that, but the max is 30 rounds. Fortunately unless your gun is an MG, there really isn't a point in having anything larger than 30, but still.

marco.g
04-13-10, 15:32
i have 3 colt prebans with no stamp, is that a nogo at a range?

bkb0000
04-13-10, 15:33
vindictive bitch. she's the reason we have restraining orders, and why you cant buy a gun if subject to one.

Renegade
04-13-10, 16:03
This won't end well.

Safetyhit
04-13-10, 17:02
vindictive bitch. she's the reason we have restraining orders...

You of course mean often needlessly subject to them without merit.

Always beware the angry ex. They can truly devastate on numerous levels without just cause.

Pathfinder Ops
04-13-10, 17:13
This won't end well.

Brother that is an understatement if I ever one.

:)

dbrowne1
04-13-10, 18:01
I would think they would need to find and qualify an expert to testify about the magazine (construction, materials, etc. that prove that it's a "post-ban" model). Good luck with that.

Another possibility is that they could piece together the transaction and/or use the wife's testimony, or perhaps he was dumb enough to make incriminating statements.

bkb0000
04-13-10, 18:11
or perhaps he was dumb enough to make incriminating statements.

this is usually how it goes, isn't it? when under LEO pressure, it seems the normal response is to "spill the beans" and hope they "understand."

Pathfinder Ops
04-14-10, 06:39
this is usually how it goes, isn't it? when under LEO pressure, it seems the normal response is to "spill the beans" and hope they "understand."

in an effort to seem "helpful."

dbrowne1
04-14-10, 14:18

I have no idea how it went in this case, though the article says he declined to be questioned by police - of course, he might have still let something small slip.

My guess is the ex-wife made some allegations about when, how, and from whom he acquired the magazine that provided some basis beyond its mere capacity, to give them PC. Maybe there is a vendor and a paper trail out there, and a witness, who will say it's a post-ban mag and he bought it out of state and brought it back in.

On the other hand, maybe they have no way of proving it's a post-ban mag unless they get a manufacturer's expert in there to dissect the magazine and explain why it's a post-ban model. I hope this guy has a lawyer who understands or can learn about all of this.

armakraut
04-14-10, 21:34
There's a reason why the villagers used to burn them when you died.

skyugo
04-14-10, 22:29
i wonder if NY misses my tax money :confused: