PDA

View Full Version : Census Questions

parishioner
04-12-10, 23:16
What questions am I required by federal law to answer and where can I find where it states this?

I've heard stories about census workers pestering people if they didn't completely fill out the form.

Thanks.

Mac5.56
04-12-10, 23:32
I would think off the top of my head that all of the questions are required by law. Also I haven't heard of pestering, but they have been pretty persistent in reminding us that if we don't send in the form they will show up at our house. I personally don't see how filling the form out can be a bad thing, especially considering that if you ever use the internet, a credit card, or fill out your taxes that the government already knows you exist, but that is just me. I also don't really foresee them following up on any of the forms, or on any information provided to them.

On a side note, anyone gotten a letter in the mail lately from say a friend? Notice that the USPS inked stamp over your shipping stamp says "Fill Out The 2010 Census"? They are really beating the 'legality' of this into our heads, eh?

parishioner
04-12-10, 23:56
Ok, I read more on the subject and apparently there was previously a short form and a long form with the long form asking invasive questions. Now it seems they have done away with the long form and we only have to answer the short form. However, the Census Bureau changed the title of the long form to the American Community Survey that will now collect data from you throughout the decade.

dmancornell
04-13-10, 00:35
According to the Constitution only the number of persons in the household is required on the "short form". The form and various government websites threatens citizens with fines if they do not fill out the form. Notice how they don't say the *whole form*. So the government is lying, what else is new... :rolleyes:

The long form is clearly unconstitutional, feel free to shred that one.

I will be ignoring any census workers that trespass on my property. Poor suckers have to trod all over town just so Odumbo can trumpet phantom job gains in March.

PdxMotoxer
04-13-10, 06:09
I've been trying to figure this one out for hours and there are sooooo many amendments and "clause's" that
I'm starting to doubt my own first name.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/45/l_c08d347773ad45f2a05db8a58f7d83e2.jpg

orionz06
04-13-10, 06:48
Are people "required" to provide a cell phone number should we only have a cell phone? Some people who do not have a phone at all are getting away with it, I wonder what issue I would run into trying to withold my cell #.

ForTehNguyen
04-13-10, 12:55
by the constitution they are only allowed to ask how many people live here, that's it. I would love for them to show me the law that says I am legally required to answer the rest. Anything else they ask are used for other things. They dont need date of birth, race, marriage status to apportion House seats.

5pins
04-13-10, 16:41
by the constitution they are only allowed to ask how many people live here, that's it. I would love for them to show me the law that says I am legally required to answer the rest. Anything else they ask are used for other things. They dont need date of birth, race, marriage status to apportion House seats.

Although the Constitution requires an Enumeration every ten years, I don’t see how it limits what questions can be asked.

dhrith
04-13-10, 16:45
I would think off the top of my head that all of the questions are required by law. Also I haven't heard of pestering, but they have been pretty persistent in reminding us that if we don't send in the form they will show up at our house. I personally don't see how filling the form out can be a bad thing, especially considering that if you ever use the internet, a credit card, or fill out your taxes that the government already knows you exist, but that is just me. I also don't really foresee them following up on any of the forms, or on any information provided to them.

On a side note, anyone gotten a letter in the mail lately from say a friend? Notice that the USPS inked stamp over your shipping stamp says "Fill Out The 2010 Census"? They are really beating the 'legality' of this into our heads, eh?

I take it your not well versed on gerrymandering then eh? Can you explain another rationale reason for them to know whether your hispanic or black? Well, except that gives them a 75% chance of pegging you as a democratic voter that is.....

dhrith
04-13-10, 16:48
The first one was just a simple count. I believe I heard or read it's amendable by congress. I couldn't tell you if it ever truly has been or where that's documented and clarified.

smithjd
04-13-10, 16:49
An interesting aside...

In my AO, they didn't even mail out census forms to anyone. We are a rural area and they claim poor response last time. So, its all door to door for the census takers for us. Lots of reimbursement miles for them. Probably stimulus for BIG OIL...

I answered a couple questions that on second thought I wouldn't answer again, but when they got to whether or not I own my home, pay a mortgage or rent, I politely declined to answer. I was told that was a very common response to that question. Not worried about it, either.

falightfighter
04-13-10, 18:42
It has to do with basic assumptions about the power of gov't, specifically the fed.gov.

The basic assumption in the US Constitution is that the powers of the fed.gov are limited, and unless specifically granted to them in the Constitution, they don't have those powers. The 10th Amendment spells this out, as explicitly as possible. Unfortunately, too many people (and officials) don't seem to understand this.

From this, it follows that, unless specifically authorized (for example, required to conduct an enumeration), the fed.gov is not allowed to add things on (for example, cell phone #s are not part of an enumeration).

It's not that giving out your cell phone #, or race, or whatever, is that arduous- its based on the principle that the fed.gov is not allowed to step outside the restrictions placed by the US Constitution. The Constitution is a limit on the powers of the fed.gov, period. Anything not mentioned is assumed to be reserved to the states or to the people.

parishioner
04-13-10, 19:02
It has to do with basic assumptions about the power of gov't, specifically the fed.gov.

The basic assumption in the US Constitution is that the powers of the fed.gov are limited, and unless specifically granted to them in the Constitution, they don't have those powers. The 10th Amendment spells this out, as explicitly as possible. Unfortunately, too many people (and officials) don't seem to understand this.

From this, it follows that, unless specifically authorized (for example, required to conduct an enumeration), the fed.gov is not allowed to add things on (for example, cell phone #s are not part of an enumeration).

It's not that giving out your cell phone #, or race, or whatever, is that arduous- its based on the principle that the fed.gov is not allowed to step outside the restrictions placed by the US Constitution. The Constitution is a limit on the powers of the fed.gov, period. Anything not mentioned is assumed to be reserved to the states or to the people.

I found this regarding the American Community Survey formerly known as the "long form. This one asks you things like how much is your yearly income, who are your insurance companies and other private information that you wouldn't tell a stranger. Apparently these codes give the government authority to do so. I think its bull.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/other/289852.htm

As discussed in detail below, we find that the Bureau has the authority under 13 U.S.C. §§ 141 and 193 to conduct the ACS. Although there is little legislative action tracking this Bureau initiative, the Bureau clearly has authority to require responses from the public to this survey. See 13 U.S.C. § 221.

This authority seems to conflict with constitution.

Detective_D
04-13-10, 19:07
Our census forms never came.

So, I guess I wont be answering any of them.
~D

rdc0000
04-13-10, 19:20
Hmm I might be an expert on Census forms since I received the long form in 2009 and two forms in 2010. Since the long form was not in a Census year, I declined to fill it out.

If you do not want to answer a question, you need to put "no response" on the question. If you do not want to give your name, put "adult1" or "child2" or in my case "ass1".

I have had some nice chats with the Census employees. Do not threaten them or make ugly remarks. Just say nice things like "I gotta go call back tomorrow" and hang up.

The calling stage will begin in about 8 weeks. They would not quit calling about the long form until I was threatened with violating the law and I replied send the US Marshalls and quit calling.

dbrowne1
04-13-10, 20:05
Although the Constitution requires an Enumeration every ten years, I don’t see how it limits what questions can be asked.

I don't see how it allows or authorizes anything beyond an enumeration.

They can send all the door knockers they want, I'll just ignore them.