PDA

View Full Version : Duty Flashlight

Ak44
04-13-10, 05:10
Looking for suggestions for a good duty flashlight. The orientation paperwork for the Police job I'm taking is suggesting a Streamlight Stinger. Just wondering if there's something better I could use. Any suggestions are welcomed but prefer current LEO's or former LEO's. Thanks!

Chameleox
04-13-10, 08:42
Streamlights are OK; be sure to get an LED model, tho. Most of my department uses Streamlight; the older lights (incandescent) sometimes had bulb problems or battery problems. The new ones seem good; LED, compact, runs on lithium batteries.

I still have my UltraStinger in my car. Frankly, it doesn't get used much compared to my Surefires. I carry a Surefire Z2 light on my belt. I put in a Malkoff LED head. You might not need all 200 some lumens, and in fact for interior work it can be counterproductive, but at least get the LED version. I also carry an E1B Backup, and an X200 on my gun.

As a side note, for duty lights I prefer non-rechargeable, because I can just carry spare 123's in my bag. Spare rechargeable batteries, in my experience, don't hold their charge long enough.

Best of luck to you!

ST911
04-13-10, 08:56
Looking for suggestions for a good duty flashlight. The orientation paperwork for the Police job I'm taking is suggesting a Streamlight Stinger. Just wondering if there's something better I could use. Any suggestions are welcomed but prefer current LEO's or former LEO's. Thanks!

I would buy a G2 w/ a recharge kit, and install a Malkoff or TNVC lamp.

A Pelican 7060 is also a good choice.

I'd only go Streamlight if neither of those were an option. If you get the Stinger, get the PolyStinger DS LED.

You might see ads for the new 5.11 lights. Ignore them.

Lynn Freshly
04-13-10, 10:57
I have been an officer for over 25 years. Most of my time has been spent on night shift. I just bought a SureFire LX2 Lumamax. It is LED has a high and low settings and great run time on lithium batteries. I gave up on re-chargables several years ago because of battery issues. The Lithium CR123s are cheap enough now that it is a non issue for costs and I can carry spares with me. My back up light is NovaTac 120T. LED and same batteries as my primary. Never rely on just one flashlight.

Things have come along way since I started. My LX2 is brighter than my original Maglight rechargable and 1/4 the weight and size.

Lynn

Dennis
04-13-10, 12:17
LOTS of options, but it really comes down to what features and UI you want, how much you want to spend, how you want to handle charging, etc...

If you just want the simplest then go with a LED Streamlight or Pelican 7060 that use a charging cradle and you never have to open up.

If you are willing to remove batteries for charging which also allows you to keep multiple batteries handy, then there are host of other choices as well.

You can also get multiple light outputs, strobing, or various switch and size options. However, the light then gets a bit more complicated and you have to spend a bit more training time to learn how to properly use it.

Lynn, lithium-ion rechargeables have come a long way lately and may be worth looking into. Unfortunately the SF LX2 is not optimized for rechargeables but you can get approx the same runtime at 80% of output with a rechargeable battery. With the positive caveat that you can start each shift with a fully charged battery and keep some primaries as backups.

http://fred-flashlights.tacomall.com.tw/DATA/LX2/LX2runtime.jpg
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=236383

Other LED lights optimized for rechargeable batteries get amazing runtimes, you can carry extras that don't run down over time like old rechargeables, and they can still use primaries as backups as well!

Dennis.

doughnut
04-13-10, 12:34
I use a Streamlight SL-20, which is a rather large light but has excellent power and is LED and Halogen. I've had excellent service from this light considering the abuse it has taken over the years. This light remains in a charging cradle in my vehicle. When I'm working nights it's my primary light. I also carry a Surefire Z2 LED on my belt that gets used quite a bit as well. I would recommend whatever light you choose, it money allows get a backup JIC your main light goes down, gets lost, etc.

ThirdWatcher
04-13-10, 15:37
Things have come along way since I started. My LX2 is brighter than my original Maglight rechargable and 1/4 the weight and size.

They sure have... I'm still using the same rechargeable MagLite I bought new in 1983. :D

TroyTK
04-13-10, 18:33
I recently switched to a Streamlight Strion LED. It is very small and it is rechargeable, yet it is also very bright. It has three levels of light, and I like the rear on/off click switch a great deal. The price is reasonable, too.

NCPatrolAR
04-13-10, 19:32
I've been using a Surefire Z2 for 8 years to very good effect. Several years I did upgrade to a LED assembly but that's been it. I, like others, prefer my duty light to be battey powered and leave rechargeable lights to admin tasks like searching a car.

SeriousStudent
04-13-10, 20:20
I'm a fan of the Surefire/Malkoff combination as well. Gene has some LED's on sale for $20 off, lessens the sting a bit.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m60lf-low-output-flood-to-fit-a-surefire-flashlight-p-23.html?zenid=kq8velk9dktekq462erupho3o6

I have this exact LED in a Surefire 6P body, with a Z49 tailcap. It makes a great carry light, and is currently mounted on an LMT training carbine. The room-filling flood is great for indoor work.

Best of luck to you in your new career, and stay safe.

cop1211
04-13-10, 21:19
Olight M30.

msap
04-14-10, 12:24
Anything Surefire will serve you well. They are expensive but you get a 20% LE discount if you order via phone. Their CS is top notch as well. I started out using Streamlight then switched to Surefire and haven't looked back. Streamlights are ok I just prefer something else. I'm currently running a Surefire 6PL with Malkoff M61. I also carry a SF E2DL and a X300 on my pistol. I like small compact lights and carry several at a time...big lights are a pain in the ass.

SmokeJumper
04-14-10, 16:22
I carry the original Stinger on my gun belt, it still works great, I would like to find an LED upgrade for it because the new LED Stinger is too large/long for duty belt carry in my opinion. Then I utilize the new Pelican 8060 (super bright and no probs. w/ being rechargeable) as my large/primary light for calls, veh. stops etc. We are issued Streamlight TLR-1's for our weapons and then I carry a SureFire G2Z LED to supplement the weapon light for building searches.

OTO27
04-21-10, 00:07
I use a streamlight stinger DS LED. I have been using mine for a year now and still holds a charge for a whole weeks duty work. It is bright enough to pierce through tinted windows and can be dimmed down for in car use such as reading or writting. Although its only been a year since I got it, I have put it through a lot and has held up very well. Strongly recommend this light.

Ak44
04-21-10, 00:23
I ordered a Surefire G3L from Grant and a TNVC drop in lamp. I hope it ain't too bright when I do Traffic stops ahaha. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I might also buy a Streamlight too for a backup.

CoryCop25
04-21-10, 00:54
I have either a Streamlight SL-20 or a Streamlight Stinger LED mounted in my car(depends on which one I drive that day). I have a Surefire 6z w/ LED upgrade on my belt that has been there since 1996. My pistol has a TLR-1.

dewingrm
04-21-10, 03:40
Streamlight Ultra Stinger and a Surefire 6P with LED bulb.

I keep my Ultra Stinger in my squad bag and anytime I exit my car I grab it and slide it in a flashlight loop on my belt. The 6P is always on my belt. I really like the Ultra Stinger for traffic stops. It has a long enough body that I can tuck it under my reaction side armpit during a traffic stop and handle DL's and citations with my left hand while keeping my right hand free. I've tried smaller rechargeable flashlights but I can't tuck them under my armpit as easily. The Ultra Stinger can also be effectively used as an impact weapon if needed.

ST911
04-21-10, 09:15
The Ultra Stinger can also be effectively used as an impact weapon if needed.

The Ultra Stinger is pretty lacking as an impact weapon. The combination of being too light, too short, shaft diameter, and swing speed just don't speak with the authority of the D-cells or batons.

If you hit people when you hold the bezel, you may find that it comes off in your hands. If you hit them with the bezel, the bezel may pop off.

Whatever you hit may dent the body. Removal of the battery may be impossible, and replacement necessary.

If you hit anything, you will almost certainly break the bulb. Have a spare.

Short: Plan for each application of the Ultra Stinger to be about a ~$75.00 value.

OTO27
04-21-10, 12:55
The Ultra Stinger is pretty lacking as an impact weapon. The combination of being too light, too short, shaft diameter, and swing speed just don't speak with the authority of the D-cells or batons.

If you hit people when you hold the bezel, you may find that it comes off in your hands. If you hit them with the bezel, the bezel may pop off.

Whatever you hit may dent the body. Removal of the battery may be impossible, and replacement necessary.

Short: Plan for each application of the Ultra Stinger to be about a ~$75.00 value.

My departments policy is against using flashlights as impact weapons for some reason so big and heavy metal flashlights serve no purpose for me. I'll tell you what though, I have seen "friends of mine" use their aluminum stinger DS as impact weapons and lets say it works just fine:D.

ST911
04-21-10, 14:59
My departments policy is against using flashlights as impact weapons for some reason so big and heavy metal flashlights serve no purpose for me. I'll tell you what though, I have seen "friends of mine" use their aluminum stinger DS as impact weapons and lets say it works just fine:D.

My comments were on the UltraStinger, not the DS models. The shorter Stingers, while still not batons, don't suffer as much as the Ultras.

Does your policy allow you the use of improvised/expedient weapons? I.e., "Nothing in this policy shall preclude officers from utilizing weapons of opportunity when those otherwise identified herein are damaged, inaccessible, or are otherwise unavailable."

Gutshot John
04-21-10, 17:16
I used a Stinger (rechargeable) for years in EMS and I was honestly underwhelmed though the technology/batteries may have improved since then. Streamlight has far better models in my estimation though it's probably a better choice if you need to hit someone with it.

Check out Coast LED Lenser lights. IMO they're the best kept secret in flashlights.

dewingrm
04-22-10, 06:57

I would not use the Ultra Stinger in place of my baton. It would work in a pinch. I always hold my Ultra Stinger by the bezel and have used it as an impact weapon on at least one occasion. I always have a spare bulb handy. I've yet to have the bezel pop off in my hand but I realize that it could happen. Again, I would only used it as a impact weapon in a pinch, it's not my go to if I want to smack someone.

I like the heft of the D cell flashlights but they are not as easy for me to hold under my armpit.

Dennis
04-22-10, 11:34
I like the heft of the D cell flashlights but they are not as easy for me to hold under my armpit.

I always hated holding my old SL20X under my arm to do paperwork, etc. It just seemed SO not tactical including blinding me and giving me tunnel vision on whatever I am working on.

Check out these lights that fit just right into your uniform pocket.
http://www.quiqlite.com/

Dennis.

CENTCOM_Survivor
05-05-10, 13:12
I run the Streamlight stinger DS LED also and its a great light. The new LED technology is pretty amazing now.

CAP
05-05-10, 21:00
Surefire G2L with a Malkoff drop is an awesome combination. I want another one.

I also have an Olight M20 that I like a lot as well, and has about the best throw of any light I have with the exception of a couple of Maglites I have with Malkoff LEDs.

Although heavier and longer, my 9P with Malkoff drop in is a great light if you keep it on a belt in a holster.

Good luck with your purchase.

docholliday
05-05-10, 21:42
I have a newer version Surefire E2D Led (rated 200/5 Lumen) and never leave home without it. Super bright 200 lumen and has the 2 stage 5 lumen output for close up stuff. Not to mention the excellent customer service.

GLOCKMASTER
05-06-10, 21:16
The only time I have enjoyed using a small light is when I was searching vehicles during my interdiction days. But I have never minded using a large flash light while working the road. I never had a problem holding it under my arm, to keep my hands free, while standing at a car window or completing collision reports. The main reason why I have always prefered a larger light is because it makes for an effective impact weapon when things go south.

cronus5116
06-06-10, 09:59
Surefire 6P, G2, Z2, 9P, G3, Z3, any of these can also use the new LED bulb for longer battery life, I have owned many other brands but in the end surefire has been the best for me, plus there are too many copycats out there now, stick with the best, this of course is just my opinion. hope this helps

DBake
06-06-10, 14:44
How many lights do you guys carry on duty? 1 grab on go from the car, 1 on the belt, 1 on the gun?

Chameleox
06-06-10, 15:41
Z2/Malkoff on the belt
E1B in the pocket
X200B w/DG on the gun.
Large streamlight in the bag, but I only grab it for traffic direction.
Spares in the bag, too.

ST911
06-06-10, 18:20
How many lights do you guys carry on duty? 1 grab on go from the car, 1 on the belt, 1 on the gun?

Five, if you count the one mounted to the gun.

toasterlocker
06-06-10, 18:31
My thoughts on duty lights:

1. You need at least two lights. One should be small enough you can leave it on your belt at all times, the other should be large enough you can comfortably tuck it under your arm on a traffic stop. The tuck under your arm light could be relatively compact, or large enough to use as an improvised impact weapon if your department allows that sort of thing. My FTOs encouraged carrying the issued MagCharger in hand while doing things like bar checks so you would already have a potential weapon in hand if needed. A smaller light is less effective for that, and you can't just walk around with a baton in hand everywhere you go.

2. Don't use an incandescent. For a duty light they offer ZERO advantage over modern LEDs.

3. Use something powered by lithium ion batteries, NOT Nicad. Nicads don't last as long and can't be recharged as many times as lithium ion. This rules out Streamlight Stingers (even LED versions), which would otherwise be a good light. I am a bit a of a hypocrite on this, as I use a MagCharger with LED drop in (powered by Nicad) at work. However, I only use it because it was issued to me, and because of the improvised impact weapon factor. I wouldn't actually pay for one.

4. Consider how you want to power your light. Do you want a light that you can just throw in a charging cradle, or are you okay with unscrewing a cap to put in fresh batteries? Keep in mind there is a price to pay for the convenience of a cradle charging light, as most of them don't perform to the same standard as non-cradle charging lights. Also, do you mind replacing batteries all the time, or do you want a light that is compatible with rechargeable batteries? If you want something that accepts rechargeable batteries, I would stay away from stock Surefires unless you are putting in an aftermarket drop-in that can handle rechargeables.

Also, arguments that you should use lights powered alkaline batteries because they are cheap and commonly available are silly, as you should have spare batteries in your squad anyway, and those lights simply don't perform as well compared to lithium ion lights. If you order online, lithium ion batteries (rechargeable or otherwise) aren't that expensive.

5. Check your assumptions about brand names at the door. Just because a light isn't advertised in a cop magazine, doesn't mean it isn't worthy or consideration, or even better than the big name competition. Some recommended lesser known brands include Malkoff Devices, Fenix, Olight, Eagle-Tac, Lumapower, etc. Surefire and Streamlight are NOT the end all, be all.

Given those considerations, here are some of my recommendations:

Tuck under the arm size recommendations:
Olight M30 Triton, Surefire 9P with LED drop-in (like Malkoff), Thrunite Catapult, Inova T5. If you must have a cradle charging light, get the Pelican 7060, Inova T4. These are all medium size lights, if you want something bigger, I would get the Pelican 8060, or a Maglite of some sort with LED drop in (like Malkoff) just for the improvised impact weapon advantage, not because it is that great of a light.

Smaller, "always on the belt lights":
Surefire 6P with LED drop in (like Malkoff), Olight M20/M21, Fenix TK11/TK10, Dereelight DBS, a variety of other lights from Eagle-Tac, 4sevens, etc. The Streamlight Strion LED is also worth considering, and uses a cradle charger.

I'm sure I've left out some quality lights and other factors worth considering, but this is everything that came to mind right now.

P2000
06-06-10, 19:16
Streamlight has just recently released a new model, the PT 2L. Advertised as 180 lumens on high, 20ish on low outuput. I pre-ordered and mine is set to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I would keep this one in mind, having a 20 lumen low level might be nice to have.

RD62
06-06-10, 20:19
I was issued a Streamlight Stinger XT.

I didn't care for it.

I left it in the car and carried a Surefire L2 and a G2 as a backup light.

-RD62

fencipede
06-06-10, 21:38
Pelican 7060 for routine use.
Fenix Tk-11 always on the belt, day or night.
Large MagLite LED in the patrol bag.
Surefire G2 LED on the rifle.

pinepig2
06-07-10, 12:41
I'm very happy with my Inova T4 li-ion rechargeable as my vehicle-mounted light. Mine is 3 years old, and feels like a solid block of aluminum. I wouldn't be surprised if the design has been modified for the worse, as this one had to be pretty expensive to build.

I end up using the G2 LED on my belt the most. I've thought about a Malkoff drop-in, although this thing is pretty bright.

I have a Novatac 120T in my seat organizer for back-up.

Delta1067
06-07-10, 17:14
5. Check your assumptions about brand names at the door. Just because a light isn't advertised in a cop magazine, doesn't mean it isn't worthy or consideration, or even better than the big name competition. Some recommended lesser known brands include Malkoff Devices, Fenix, Olight, Eagle-Tac, Lumapower, etc. Surefire and Streamlight are NOT the end all, be all.

I have been using an EagleTac T100C2 Mark II for the last several months as my duty light at work and have to say that this is one of my best equipment purchases ever. Here is a link: http://flashlightconnection.com/EagleTac-Flashlights/EagleTac-Tactical-Series-Flashlights/EagleTac-T100C2-Mark-II-Flashlight-OP-Reflector-Reg-Tailcap-p187.html

John Hearne
06-07-10, 22:19
I agree with the advice that you need a good flashlight on your duty belt at all times. I'm running a 6 volt Surefire with LED upgrade. I'm convinced that any 6 volt surefire with LED will work.

As far as a patrol light, for a number of years, I used a SL-35 that I found in storage. It was a great big honking light but it got through tint nicely. I finally stopped using it after I got a Stinger LED. The light is super bright, has multiple light levels and a strobe mode that is great for traffic with that little gay orange cone. I carry two in my vehicle as I'm an FTO.

gumby223
06-09-10, 06:05
I'm LEO and work nights, and have for a long time. If your going to be gungho about chasing people and actually "working" at night, then you will want backup lights. It will only take one time of having batteries go dead and then you will know what I mean. I had to loan out a flashlight to another officer the other night on a chase...:confused: Anyway, I carry all three of the following, every time I step out of the car.

Anyway, I carry:

LARGE FLASHLIGHT: I rotate out large flashlights between these: SL-20LED, SL-20XPLED. Both have the brighter incandescent bulb for brightness/throw, and the smaller led's for short distance/report writing. The sl20 is metal and heavier (over all I prefer this one), but the sl20xp is light, and has a rubber coating which makes it a winner on rainy days and for when you need to tuck it under your arm for long periods of time.

SMALL FLASHLIGHT: I carry a couple different ones, but my favorite is a cheap LED light from Sam's Club. This light is bright, small, led (long battery life), takes 3 AAA batteries which are common, and cheap. This is the back-up to my large flashlight.

WEAPONLIGHT: Streamlight TLR-1s. No matter what shift you work, you should have a weaponlight on your handgun, SOP permitting. I could go on and on about having a weaponlight on your handgun, but just trust me on this one...you should have one.

gumby223
06-09-10, 06:16
Oh, and www.candlepowerforums.com is a wealth of information on different types of flashlights too.

Kentucky Cop
06-09-10, 13:16
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_PolyStinger_DS_C4_LED_Flashlight.php

Look no further. Our department issues these since they came available in LED and they are used and abused nightly! I love mine, not to big, not to small and it fits on your duty belt great. The tech guys installed the charger in the cruiser trunk.

Ky Cop

DARK-KNIGHT
06-09-10, 22:17
I carry the Stinger LED on my duty belt/ tac vest and a Surefire X200 on my handgun. I also have a Ultra Stinger w/ charger in the car just in case. The LED Stinger is pretty bright.

ShipWreck
06-11-10, 12:36
I just got two Eagletac lights - the P20C2 Mk II and the tactical version - T20C2Mk II. These lights are sweet - and with 300 lumens out the front (actual lumens - the LED lumens produced in total are like 400 lumens).

These are the brightest lights in their class. Also a setting for 60 lumens and 5 lumens. If I needed a light for work as a carry light, I'd get 1 of these.

vigilant2
06-11-10, 20:08
That Eagletac flashlight is a Knockoff/Clone of the Olight M20/21
if there ever was one. Talk about duplication!

blade_68
06-18-10, 06:27
I've been using SureFires P60s for years just stick in LED Mod and go...I have too many flashlights I've had
and used the LED LENSER that uses 3 AAA batts. the first one I had worked problem free from 05 till early
this year and quit working have replaced it with a new one. I've had some good Inova flashlights so far only
one that was a POS. it died in few weeks of use. I keep at least 3 lights when on duty. 2 on belt one in pocket.

Skintop911 is there a problem with the 5.11 lights? are the light failing or breaking. just wondering.

ST911
06-18-10, 12:42
Skintop911 is there a problem with the 5.11 lights? are the light failing or breaking. just wondering.

The 400 is large, bulky, incompatible with certain low-light techniques, harder to use for IBOs and small handed people. They had an early recall which has been resolved, but are still showing a higher than competitor return rate at vendors. Best use is as a fixed-station utility light for non-critical and non-fighting tasks.

The smaller light (300) is the better of the two for functionality.

For the money, I can get a SF w/ GTG drop-in LED for 200+ lumens, and have more of a better light.

ShipWreck
07-09-10, 14:25
That Eagletac flashlight is a Knockoff/Clone of the Olight M20/21
if there ever was one. Talk about duplication!

The Eagletac puts out much more lumens than the Olight. So, that's not true. The body styles do look similiar. However - all these lights are made in China. It's possible that both companies get the bodies made at the same place.

Heck, many, many of them ARE clones of other American lights.

SPM14430
07-09-10, 16:27
I carry Surefire Z2 with Malkoff M60 LED module in V70 speed holster.

Compact, extremely bright, won't accidentally turn on in holster