PDA

View Full Version : Trigger: Geissele SSA vs Stag Arms Single Stage

Kilryth
04-13-10, 08:48
I know many of you are going to jump and say "Geissele SSA!", but before you do.. know the following:

This is my first AR-15 and I am inexperienced with using two-stage triggers. I am only familiar with stock triggers from: Beretta CX-4 & 92FS (great triggers), Mossberg 500 (ok trigger), Baby Eagle .40 (I despise this trigger), and SIG .45 (good trigger).

I already own an untuned Stag Arms trigger group from the Lower Parts kit, but I have not installed any parts into my stripped lower receiver yet. I like the unnotched hammer in the kit, and I'm not sure if the SSA hammer can be used with the larger firing pins. I want my hammer to be used with the standard M16 BCG's larger firing pin.

I want the trigger group to meet the following standards as much as possible (meeting all of them might be impossible):

as durable or more durable than milspec
as reliable as possible and as safe as possible to prevent bumpfires
a smooth pull that makes me want to pull it again because it's so smooth
quick pulls for rapid-fire
Allows for slower, more precise target acquisition (for recreational range use)

I don't plan to shoot in competitions, but I would like it to be reliable enough to use in a combat environment while being pleasant to fire at the range.

The Geissele SSA sounds unmatched in these areas, but I'm afraid that I'll drop $170 and won't notice the difference from stock.

Boss Hogg
04-13-10, 09:18
I have two Stag triggers- one in an assembled factory lower and one from a lower parts kit. The former was SUPERB right out of the box- so much so that I made it my SBR. We'll see on the kit- I don't know if it will be as good.

Personally, I'd see how good the Stag trigger is and then decide. You can drop the $170 towards optics which will make a more significant improvement in accuracy for most shooters. Or get Bill Springfield to tune it for you.

Ratfink
04-13-10, 09:34
IMHO the ssa is the best trigger out there for me i use my rifle for my work and the ssa trigger does not have any issues with reliability issues at all with thousands of rounds through the rifles i have with ssa triggers my go to trigger is the ssa i love that it is non adjustable so nothing to come loose or stop workng at the worst moment of your life the way i build my rifles that i work with is absolute reliability and the ssa has never failed but i have never had a bill springfield trigger and probley wont just becuase i have found my trigger that works and im not going to change it but a lot of people on here use his trigger and are happy with it im sure they will chime in shortly

Kilryth
04-13-10, 10:09
Thanks guys! I will look into Bill Springfield tuning also. I wonder how a tuned single stage compares; I don't know much about tuning without making them less safe/reliable/durable. Tuning is not worth losing durability, safety, or reliability to me; I don't know if Bill's do any of this.

randolph
04-13-10, 11:13
Did you read this ?
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43974

Kilryth
04-13-10, 13:21
I had not seen some of the clever posts since last week, so I appreciate you posting the link. Thank you! I'm thinking about installing the stock trigger and seeing how that goes, before deciding to "fix what's not broken".

The Springfield has reports of bumpfires and adding set screws. I don't plan on tuning my stock trigger. I guess I'll just have to install my Stag and/or try a Geissele before buying.

Lucky Strike
04-13-10, 14:46
I've had a stock single stage RRA, DPMS, Springfield tuned RRA, and SSA. I've shot my friends guns who have a RRA 2 stage and a Alexander Arms single stage.

Of all those the Geissele SSA is easily my favorite. Great pull and I have no fears that it will break at the worst time. Just the smooth trigger face alone makes you want to pull the trigger nonstop.

Given what you want it sounds like the SSA will be exactly what you're looking for. $170 is a nice chunk of change but it's worth every penny.

The springfield tuned RRA has a great pull but mine bump fired when I was shooting it once so I've switched that lower to a non-defense gun that's set up for long range target shooting.

ThirdWatcher
04-13-10, 15:30
I'm thinking about installing the stock trigger and seeing how that goes, before deciding to "fix what's not broken".

That's good thinking. ;)

Belmont31R
04-13-10, 17:03
Some USGI single stage triggers are ok. If you get a good one I'd hesitate to switch it out depending on the gun. I also polish the shiny bits of the trigger which takes out much of the grittyness but Im not recommending anyone do it without knowing what they are doing. Its possible to take a decent out of the box USGI, and get it down to 6-7LBS just by cleaning up the rough machining but its still not going to be a 4.5LB 2 stage like the SSA.

However what I do not like about USGI triggers is you can get two parts kits made on the same day from the same manufacturer, and one will be ok, and the other feels like shit. With the SSA you get consistency from one trigger to the next. I have 3 now, and they all feel the same to me. Reset is similar to a USGI, and is crispy. The first AR15 I bought, a Colt, came with a trigger that probably is close to 10LBS even after about 15k rounds through the lower.

No complaints about reliability. Ive got thousands of rounds downrange with SSA's, and neve had an issue nor I have I heard of any. Actually Ive heard of a lot more failures with USGI trigger groups because a lot of people skimp on quality and are using no name or crap parts kits like DPMS in their guns. They come with weak trigger pins, generally junky made parts, ect.

To me a USGI trigger is mush, and its impossible to get any consistency out of them especially with so many people making them. For any type of accuracy shooting the USGI is not made to do this. With a 2 stage you know when the trigger is going to break. There is a slight uptake on the trigger, you hit the 2nd stage, and if you pull any further the gun will go off. With a single stage you just keep pulling until the gun goes off.

Kilo 1-1
04-13-10, 21:41
This is my first AR-15 and I am inexperienced with using two-stage triggers.
as durable or more durable than milspec
as reliable as possible and as safe as possible to prevent bumpfires
a smooth pull that makes me want to pull it again because it's so smooth
quick pulls for rapid-fire
Allows for slower, more precise target acquisition (for recreational range use)

Based on those statements, I say shoot the hell out of your stock trigger. Once it gets broken in, you'll find that single stage triggers are relatively smooth and sufficient for most shooting. Once you get a couple thousand rounds, upgrade to the SSA if you want to then.

Bimmer
04-14-10, 00:04
Personally, I'd see how good the Stag trigger is and then decide...

Or get Bill Springfield to tune it for you.

+1

Lucky Strike's bump fire sounds like operator error — if you bump the trigger, it's supposed to fire, right?!

Bimmer

TehLlama
04-14-10, 00:09
Shoot the hell out of it. Keep some money aside for the SSA you'll own and appreciate that much more.

There's nothing wrong about the stock trigger. The SSA is just so good that it seems like there is.

Kilryth
04-14-10, 07:04
Thank you all! I will save the trigger upgrade for another time after the gun is assembled.

Well, I installed my Stag Arms single stage factory trigger group last night, and I must say that it feels pretty darn good! I was able to feel the grit in the DPMS trigger at the store, but the Stag feels very smooth right out of the box. I may have lucked out, but I had heard good things about it.

A side note: Stag still puts the round faced (unnotched) hammers in their LPKs, unlike what the picture shows. Current RRA single stage LPKs places notched hammers. At least this was the case locally.

The stock trigger feels smoother than most pistols stock triggers; the trigger pull is pretty short compared to my previous standards. I don't know how to measure the pull weight, but the spring tension comes nowhere close to distracting me or being difficult.