PDA

View Full Version : A buddy is on my case about food storage

500grains
04-13-10, 09:19
So I keep about 90 days worth of stuff on hand. Without electricity I can cook, get water and heat the house.

But a buddy LEO who is privy to regular DHS briefings is riding me about not having 2 years worth of food on hand. Am I stupid thinking that things are likely to get back to normal within 90 days?

Iraq Ninja
04-13-10, 09:27
So I keep about 90 days worth of stuff on hand. Without electricity I can cook, get water and heat the house.

But a buddy LEO who is privy to regular DHS briefings is riding my about not having 2 years worth of food on hand. Am I stupid thinking that things are likely to get back to normal within 90 days?

So, what is his reasoning for having two years worth of food, in relationship to his DHS briefings?

500grains
04-13-10, 09:58
He has not told me the content of the briefings, so maybe they are confidential. But he has generalized several times saying we should expect blood in the streets, etc. While I recognize that the line between civilized society and barbarism is thin, and I think we could have more localized incidents like Katrina, Rodney King riots, etc., I am having trouble conceiving of a situation where we would face complete economic and transportation shutdown for 2 yrs. Again, perhaps I am just naive.

thunderinms
04-13-10, 11:44
He has not told me the content of the briefings, so maybe they are confidential. But he has generalized several times saying we should expect blood in the streets, etc. While I recognize that the line between civilized society and barbarism is thin, and I think we could have more localized incidents like Katrina, Rodney King riots, etc., I am having trouble conceiving of a situation where we would face complete economic and transportation shutdown for 2 yrs. Again, perhaps I am just naive.

Most of the nation is in this boat. You can show them the documents and the facts and you are either laughed at or the people shut down on you.

Wake up and get ready... I will elaborate later...

Irish
04-13-10, 12:00
Wake up and get ready... I will elaborate later...

This should be interesting.

I have a 30 day supply of MREs on hand just in case of a natural disaster type of thing, not likely in NV, but it never hurts to be prepared.

sadmin
04-13-10, 12:33
I was going to ask if something was up nationally...I have had 2 buddies of mine mention to me this week about "preparation, and ammo hoarding..." They read all the fiscal blogs and glue themselves to untainted national news...or so they say its untainted. Im interested...

Heavy Metal
04-13-10, 12:40
He is referring to the effects of a prolonged oil stoppage due to the aftermath of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran.

CharlieKilo
04-13-10, 14:11
I have two years with of Dry Storage food. I'm already finding that what I paid for this stuff is already well cheaper than regular groceries.

I expect shelves in the stores to be full of food, but who will want to pay $15 for a gallon of milk, or $25 for a box of rice?

Even the most basic knowledge of economics should immediately send of red flags as to what is happening right now.

Also, I would not ignore information from anyone working within the DHS, I would take it all as a very serious warning to get my shit together.

Comments removed by moderator
Please Read and Abide (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27213)

Tennvol12345
04-13-10, 21:22
He is referring to the effects of a prolonged oil stoppage due to the aftermath of an imminent Israeli attack on Iran.

This always surprises me as most of our oil comes from Canada. I didn't believe it until my wife told me. Since she's a energy lawyer I have no reason to suspect she's fibbing.

As for DHS I wouldn't take anything they told me as gospel. I've worked with a bunch of different directorates over the last few years and I've had some interesting experiences, the best one being a first responder standing up infront of a room full of SES-level people from across DHS and saying that we as first responders do not trust DHS. The response was "we know, and we are working on it". I was glad to be on the DoD side during that meeting.

ForTehNguyen
04-13-10, 22:16
most of our oil is from canada and mexico, buy american so you dont support those terrorists there :D

Heavy Metal
04-13-10, 22:22
This always surprises me as most of our oil comes from Canada. I didn't believe it until my wife told me. Since she's a energy lawyer I have no reason to suspect she's fibbing.

As for DHS I wouldn't take anything they told me as gospel. I've worked with a bunch of different directorates over the last few years and I've had some interesting experiences, the best one being a first responder standing up infront of a room full of SES-level people from across DHS and saying that we as first responders do not trust DHS. The response was "we know, and we are working on it". I was glad to be on the DoD side during that meeting.

Yeah but oil is Fungible. It will be available but it will be $10 a gallon for some time.

fixer
04-14-10, 01:51

But a buddy LEO who is privy to regular DHS briefings is riding me about not having 2 years worth of food on hand. Am I stupid thinking that things are likely to get back to normal within 90 days?

are you sure he's not just jerking your chain? or does he actually have the two years of preps he's recommending you get?

it wouldn't be unheard of for someone who thinks that prepping is foolish to try and spur you into "wasting" more on the effort.

500grains
04-14-10, 07:44
are you sure he's not just jerking your chain?

HE has it, for himself and for his 4 adult kids, so the fellow has spent a fair amount of cash on the effort.

sadmin
04-14-10, 08:06
hes a mormon isnt he...man, they are planners. ;)
www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf (www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf)

fixer
04-14-10, 09:57
hes a mormon isnt he...man, they are planners. ;)
www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf (www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf)

not ALL Mormons are prepared. while many are, there seem to be a number that do nothing... and then there are the few that go bad and do everything on the "don't" list. :rolleyes:

i'm not Mormon, but have more than a few "Jack Mormons" in my extended family... the kind that smoke, drink, drink coffee and don't prep... dunno what else they do.

i'm not anti-Mormon. in fact i don't really care too much what religion you practice or if you don't have any. just trying to point out that Mormon ≠ Prepared. it just means they're slightly more likely to be prepared than the "average person".

Jerm
04-14-10, 19:20
Well,there gos my plan to get a directory from one(or several) of the local Mormon churches to use as a SHTF "shopping" list.

:p

tc556guy
05-01-10, 09:33
Ask to see his pantry. If he isn't following his owna dvice, why is he lecturing you.