PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 mm history in SGN

DocGKR
07-16-06, 14:44
In the most recent issue of Shotgun News (with the red, white, and blue AR15 on the cover) Zak Smith has written the most comprehensive and accurate article on the history, genesis, and development of the 6.8 mm SPC that I have yet publicly encountered. See--Smith, Zak: “The 6.8 SPC, Is it all that?”. Shotgun News 60(21):4-16. July 31, 2006.

VA_Dinger
07-16-06, 22:50
Is the 6.8mm getting any interest from the military? What are the chances of it getting into service? Do the SCAR solicitations have a 6.8mm requirement?

DocGKR
07-16-06, 23:53
"Is the 6.8mm getting any interest from the military?"
Yes. As previously publicly noted, extensive military testing demonstrated that 6.8 mm had the best performance of the various calibers studied and that 6.8 mm offers nearly ideal terminal performance characteristics for a combat caliber.

"What are the chances of it getting into service?"
Depends...do you mean limited SOF use as orginally intended by the cartridge's designers or Big Army use? Politics, parochialism, and turf-wars are proving to be significant barriers despite scientific testing demonstrating the superiority of the 6.8 mm over both 5.56 mm and 7.62x39 mm, as well as 7.62x51 mm fired from short (12-16") barrels.

"Do the SCAR solicitations have a 6.8mm requirement?"
There is a USSOCOM validated requirement for an Advanced/Enhanced Rifle Caliber based on Combat Mission Essential Needs Statement from in theater SOF combat commanders. The initial SCAR ORD from 2002 had a requirement for a 6.8 mm SCAR-L. Later, the SCAR-L alternate caliber was deleted. However, there are currently experimental 6.8 mm Mk16's in existence...

USMC03
07-17-06, 18:54
Zak is a good guy and very knowledgable. Look forward to reading the article.

M4Guru
07-17-06, 19:57
I would love to have a 6.8 SCAR variant, but i fear politics will keep this from happening.

I am growing fonder of the SCAR with every bit of experience I get with the system. that, and the ergonomics have been greatly improved since the beginning. I want one!

DocGKR
09-15-06, 12:55
http://demigod.org/~zak/archive/sgn_68spc.pdf

Highly recommended!

justbill
09-16-06, 06:46
Just tried the link x 3 and a box pops-up saying there is a problem with the file.

DocGKR
09-16-06, 10:06
There are a lot of people downloading it and I suspect the site has limited bandwidth--I just tried it and got the message, but after waiting about 60 sec, it downloaded just fine. Try again!

TimP
09-16-06, 19:50
Zak is a good buddy of mine. he knows his stuff about the 6.8

Bugaboo
09-17-06, 07:11
I would love to have a 6.8 SCAR variant, but i fear politics will keep this from happening.

I dont understand, the article says, aside from price, the 6.8 is available for civilian market and manufacturers offer rifles and uppers. What problems do you expect? I am not trying to make smart remarks, just curious.

Zak Smith
09-19-06, 10:58
Just tried the link x 3 and a box pops-up saying there is a problem with the file.
Yes, it's a large file and was hosted on a slow link (650 kb/s). I have moved it to a faster server (transparently-- the original link works), so it should load about 10x faster now.

regards
Zak

TOrrock
09-19-06, 16:33
Yes, it's a large file and was hosted on a slow link (650 kb/s). I have moved it to a faster server (transparently-- the original link works), so it should load about 10x faster now.

regards
Zak

Thank you sir! :cool: