PDA

View Full Version : cleaning 5.45x39

Walker77
04-13-10, 14:20
Im going to be going on a camping trip this weekend ( if we dont get rained out ) And i would like to take my 5.45 with me to try it out again. I have only ran about 40 rounds through it and i am having a problem with stuck cases. So i tried a couple different things that will hopefully work. So heres my problem. When i shot it before, i would run some windex down the barrel and then blow it out with an air compressor. Since i wont be able to do that till sunday night, what would you guys recommend? I dont know if its a learning curve or what, but im already starting to wonder if getting this upper was the right thing to do. This corrosive ammo is a pain in the butt and the mags are junk. But the ammo price is right!

Jay Cunningham
04-13-10, 14:33
How did the Red Army manage to keep their guns running in field conditions?

The gun is not going to melt. My advice:

Ballistol-soaked Boresnake
more Ballistol in a plastic bottle
stop worrying so much
????
profit

Walker77
04-13-10, 15:48
I have a lot of money tied up in this upper to just let it get ruined. I want to make sure it will last me many years to come. Where do you guys get Ballistol? Ive never seen it in the stores. Do you still run windex down the barrel or just ballistol? Thanks

Jay Cunningham
04-13-10, 16:15
I have never used Windex.

You will probably be fine with automatic transmission fluid.

subzero
04-13-10, 16:23
Don't worry about it so much. I let my 5.45 go a couple of weeks after shooting corrosive (OMG!) in the rain (double OMG!) and I got a bit of red patina in my flash hider. BFD. When I got around to cleaning it, it cleaned up fine.

Just clean it when you get home.

If you're getting stuck cases, remember to bring along a good cleaning rod to knock them out. Otherwise, make sure you go through the standard stuff when you get stuck cases: check extractor spring and insert, replace as necessary and scrub the chamber with a good brush.

Jay Cunningham
04-13-10, 17:26
If you're not using an extractor O-ring I would recommend it in this application.

Walker77
04-13-10, 17:30
Whats an extractor o-ring? The extractor is fine, the bolt never turns loose of the shell, i can tug on the charging handle with all my strength and it wont come out or turn loose. I finally got a chamber brush and cleaned that out real good. I hope that will take care of the problem. The S&W 5.45 barrels are chromed, right? I dont have mine here to look at. And where are you guys buying that ballistol stuff at? And tell me about the at fluid. Can i use that to lube the bolt too? I think i am going to try using mobil 1 for the bolt, but havent decided on which one. After reading on here it looks like everyone uses a different weight.

Jay Cunningham
04-13-10, 17:39
Have you read the gigantic mega-thread about this?

Walker77
04-13-10, 18:35
Most of it. The problem is, the opinions vary so much, i really dont know what direction to go with it.

lowjack
04-13-10, 19:52
Spay it down with windex, that removes the salts . Or what others have said. I just know windex works.

Clean the insides with brake cleaner. Run a brush down the barrel.

I don't know why ur cases are getting stuck ? I haven't cleaned mine (other than windex) in about 2K rounds and it works fine

Walker77
04-13-10, 20:40
I dont know why they are getting stuck either. I hope it just needs to be broke in. But if cleaning the chamber doesnt work its going back to S&W

40Arpent
04-14-10, 14:21
Pack a 2-piece cleaning rod, some Windex wipes, and a lubricant. Done.

Jay Cunningham
04-14-10, 14:27
I have a lot of money tied up in this upper to just let it get ruined. I want to make sure it will last me many years to come.

I think you made the wrong decision if this is why you bought a 5.45mm upper and a bunch of corrosive surplus ammo. The whole point of having one of these is to run the hell out of it and enjoy it. I am not saying to abuse it or neglect it, but if you bought one of these to be an heirloom, there are other investments that would have served you better.

Walker77
04-14-10, 16:13
I think you made the wrong decision if this is why you bought a 5.45mm upper and a bunch of corrosive surplus ammo. The whole point of having one of these is to run the hell out of it and enjoy it. I am not saying to abuse it or neglect it, but if you bought one of these to be an heirloom, there are other investments that would have served you better.

I didnt buy it for a heirloom or investment. Im just saying, i just got the thing, and i dont want to tear it up before i even really get to use it. Thats the whole reason why i bought this is to be a beater, but at the same time i want to take care of it too. I also have a M&P 223, so im not really worried about trying to save the 5.45 for my kids or anything. I just believe in taking care of what you have, cars, tools, house, what ever.

Walker77
04-14-10, 16:13
Pack a 2-piece cleaning rod, some Windex wipes, and a lubricant. Done.

Thats a great idea. I didnt know they made windex wipes.

TomF
04-14-10, 16:38
Hi Guys,

I have shot more than 20k rounds of corrosive ammo through my various rifles, and I have a circle of close friends who can attest to another 100k or more through their various rifles. I have tried all the cleaning methods, and have found standard gun cleaners do a fine job. Slip 2000's cleaner or Breakfree CLP both do a fine job at killing the corrosion properties of the ammo.

Also, firing some non-corrosive 545 at the end of your shooting session helps to blast/burn some of the corrosive residue out. I typically fire 5 rounds of Wolf at the end of the day. I have let a rifle sit for weeks afterwards without ill results.

Another guy here had a documented 11,300 rounds through his 545 rifle without any cleaning, just adding more Slip2000 when it needed lube. He began having feeding issues at the 11,400 mark. Clean and lube and it's back up and running.

The 545 rifles really aren't nearly as finicky as internet-lore would lead you to believe.

Have a good trip.

lowprone
04-14-10, 16:39
There are currently cases of USGI WW2 corrosive ammo bore cleaner on Sturm,
buy a case of 12 cans sell off 9 and you still have enough for 20 years of shooting.
That is what I did.

Heavy Metal
04-14-10, 17:29
There are currently cases of USGI WW2 corrosive ammo bore cleaner on Sturm,
buy a case of 12 cans sell off 9 and you still have enough for 20 years of shooting.
That is what I did.

Ballistol is cheaper and works better because it is also a corrosion inhibitor.

The WWII Bore Cleaner is not a corrosion inhibitor and is a known carcenogen which contains Benzene.

Ballistol is far and away the best, most non-toxic, most fool-proof and idiot-proof solution to shooting corrosive ammo.

Littlelebowski
04-14-10, 17:37
This is all covered ad nauseum in the mega 5.45 thread. The weapon is not going to self destruct. It will be fine. <bangs head against the wall>

Walker77
04-14-10, 18:24
This is all covered ad nauseum in the mega 5.45 thread. The weapon is not going to self destruct. It will be fine. <bangs head against the wall>

Do you need a hug or something? All your post on the other 5.45 thread was really negative. I do recall you saying the 5.45 is a pointless round, the ammo is expensive and hard to find. I mean i understand running some subjects into the ground. But really, thats what these forums are here for. To talk about our interests and concerns with others. If it bothers you that much, just dont read it! I mean really man, it will be ok!!!!!

Littlelebowski
04-14-10, 19:01
Do you need a hug or something? All your post on the other 5.45 thread was really negative. I do recall you saying the 5.45 is a pointless round, the ammo is expensive and hard to find. I mean i understand running some subjects into the ground. But really, thats what these forums are here for. To talk about our interests and concerns with others. If it bothers you that much, just dont read it! I mean really man, it will be ok!!!!!

Good lord. It was pointed out publicly that that was a joke. Do you need referring links? If you had read the thread at all you'd see that I'm one of the earliest adopters of the platform. Now go read it.

Walker77
04-14-10, 19:02
Good lord. It was pointed out publicly that that was a joke. Do you need referring links? If you had read the thread at all you'd see that I'm one of the earliest adopters of the platform. Now go read it.

Yes dad....

Jay Cunningham
04-14-10, 19:45
Stop now.

TomF
04-14-10, 21:25
Hi Guys,

I have shot more than 20k rounds of corrosive ammo through my various rifles, and I have a circle of close friends who can attest to another 100k or more through their various rifles. I have tried all the cleaning methods, and have found standard gun cleaners do a fine job. Slip 2000's cleaner or Breakfree CLP both do a fine job at killing the corrosion properties of the ammo.

Also, firing some non-corrosive 545 at the end of your shooting session helps to blast/burn some of the corrosive residue out. I typically fire 5 rounds of Wolf at the end of the day. I have let a rifle sit for weeks afterwards without ill results.

Another guy here had a documented 11,300 rounds through his 545 rifle without any cleaning, just adding more Slip2000 when it needed lube. He began having feeding issues at the 11,400 mark. Clean and lube and it's back up and running.

The 545 rifles really aren't nearly as finicky as internet-lore would lead you to believe.

Have a good trip.

Re-reading this, my use of "rifle" is very vague.

I'm an AK guy, the 20k through my rifles are through Fuller and Henderson guns.

The various rifles owned by friends are a mix of S&W 545 AR's and various AK74's. The 11,300 round rifle that was still functioning is a S&W 545 AR.

Just FYI.

Walker77
04-14-10, 21:38
what is fuller and henderson guns?

TomF
04-14-10, 22:02
what is fuller and henderson guns?

Jim Fuller from www.rifledynamics.com

Henderson Defense http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/main.sc