PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite stock?

Kilryth
04-13-10, 14:21
And I thought pistol grips were difficult to choose between.. stocks are even worse! What is your favorite stock for a 16" barrel, and what's your favorite for a 20"? Fixed or telescoping - doesn't matter.
If you have had bad experiences (minor to major), please feel free to list those also!

I've been looking at Magpul's wide variety, LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR, and the factory carbine stocks. If I didn't list it, I probably haven't seen it.

01tundra
04-13-10, 14:28
I'm happy with my CTR.

ehcarl2983
04-13-10, 14:31
I love my SOPMOD, but after handling my dad's CTR, I think I might go CTR on my next rifle to save weight. I guess for me at least it kinda depends on my goal with the rifle. If I was gonna build something up that was 18" or 20" I'd probably get the magpul UBR.

just my .02:cool:

shittercrewchief
04-13-10, 14:32
Magpul ACS for both

bkb0000
04-13-10, 14:36
people can list their favorite stocks, but finding the "right" one for YOU is gonna take personal experience with the platform, and will be totally dependent on your individual needs and setup.

for a 20" gun, i liked the A1 stock... however, it's been a long time since i've had/shot a 20 incher, and my views and preferences have undoubtedly changed since then. i think nowadays i'd probably rather have a UBR, but putting a carbine stock on a rifle upper can take some tweeking to get to run right.

for a 16" gun, i like SOPMODs. especially a heavy 16 gun. heavy stocks can tend to balance out muzzle-heavy weapons, but this is somewhat subject to the perception of the person packing the gun. anymore, 16" guns are too ma'****in heavy to pack around, and added weight is nothing more than added weight. so i don't do 16" guns either.

how much of any of this applies to you is anybody's guess... obviously my experiences are of limited value to you, as will be everyone eles'

VA_Dinger
04-13-10, 14:45
Vltor Improved Carbine Modstocks (IMod) or LMT SOPOD.

By far my favorite stocks on the market.

Tangotag
04-13-10, 15:06
SOPMOD on a 6 position extension, lots of adjustment and in the furthest out position it is longer than an A2.

nickh46
04-13-10, 15:18
LMT Gen II M4 style stock or the LMT SOPMOD. Both have no slop or wiggle.

woodandsteel
04-13-10, 15:23
Somehow, I have turned into a Magpul whore. My wife and I both have the Magpul MOE stocks on both of our Carbines. I really like it, but wished I would have gone with the CTR instead.

After reading this review from USMC03, http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations, I am looking to get a Magpul UBR for when I build a mid length. I have no personal experince with the UBR. But I have ben looking at the alternatives and I just settled on the UBR.

CGoodwin
04-13-10, 15:54
I LOVE the UBR. The length of pull adjustment coupled with the fixed cheek weld surface and the total lack of play in the buttstock makes it my favorite. I have one on my 14.5" AR and my 18" LR-308. The only downside is the price...

crazymoose
04-13-10, 16:26
EMOD, then the ACS.

RogerinTPA
04-13-10, 16:29
ACS and LMT SOPMOD.

Killjoy
04-13-10, 17:04
Love the Magpul ACS, and actually I have no issues with the conventional M4-style stock.

leopard hound
04-13-10, 17:07
i like my LMT SOPMOD. It is ROCK solid. the magpul CTR is my second choice.

Scorpion
04-13-10, 18:48
The only one I've had experience with is the fixed A2 stock I have on my 20-inch.

markm
04-13-10, 18:54
A1 stock for both of those lengths.

mark5pt56
04-13-10, 19:37
For a total value, features, etc hard to beat the Vltor clubfoot, would like to see the Imod soon.

The Crane/LMT is the king

fixed--A1 Vltor clubfoot

standard carbine/A1/A2's always work

Anything else is a gimmick and pointless

SKINJA11
04-13-10, 20:02
lwrc 18''REPR- UBR , lwrc M6A2- SOPMOD, 2-bcm 16'' middie's w/ 12''larue rails-SOPMOD, lmt 14.5w/14''dd lite rail-SOPMOD, bcm 14.5 middyw/dd lite fspm rail,CTR, the sop's are truly the most versatile stocks ,balance out almost any build, but on the new bcm middy ,the CTR just is a very handy and well balanced package on a super fighting rifle. i'll try to get a comparison pic up this weekend.

Cagemonkey
04-13-10, 20:03
Magpul 93B and UBR.

HeavyDuty
04-13-10, 21:20
UBR is my favorite, but I think more ACSs are in my future. Second favorite but still great.

edwin907
04-13-10, 21:21
SOPMOD
http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/MRP-22a.jpg

az doug
04-13-10, 22:05
I am still searching for the "perfect" stock. I currently have a LMT SOPMOD, a VLTOR Modstock, a Magpul 93B, a Magpul PRS and several M-4 stocks. My 20" A2 has an A2 stock.

On my "precision" AR I am satisfied with the Magpul PRS.

I like the cheek weld on the 93B, but don't like the weight. I have this stock on the 18" rifle I use for matches.

The Magpul ACS looks interesting. I like the cheek weld of the UBR, but like its "pre-production prototype," the 93B, its heavy.

MistWolf
04-13-10, 22:17
...this is somewhat subject to the perception of the person packing the gun. anymore, 16" guns are too ma'****in heavy to pack around
Most people I know carry their 16" guns mounted on a battleship!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/broadsideII.jpg

Kchen986
04-13-10, 22:22
Very pleased with the VLTOR club foot Emod.

http://www.vltor.com/images/EMod6-detail.jpg

macman37
04-13-10, 22:26
Carbine - Sully stock or MagPul CTR

Precision: MagPul PRS

RUSKI
04-14-10, 07:30
Double post. Please erase.

RUSKI
04-14-10, 07:31
Magpul ACS

deuce9166
04-14-10, 07:36
I have been using an EMOD for about a year, and it is a little long for me when wearing armor. I just got a MOE stock and I really like it especially for that price point. Makes the gun feel alot lighter too.

Kilryth
04-14-10, 07:49
I see a lot of posts regarding "too heavy or too light".

Do you prefer a heavier stock to balance the weight of the front, or do you prefer a lighter one for less weight but less balance?

I have a light weight stock on my Mossberg 500, and I must say that I regret it somewhat. It's a real rugged gun... then it goes into a dinky stock. It looks cool and is functional with two hands, but it doesn't feel right to me.

jasonhgross
04-14-10, 08:12
:rolleyes:
Most people I know carry their 16" guns mounted on a battleship!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/broadsideII.jpg

My 16" guns are mounted on my shoulders.

PrivateCitizen
04-14-10, 08:46
Vltor Improved Carbine Modstocks (IMod) or LMT SOPOD.

By far my favorite stocks on the market.

IMOD? Really?

Are they in with wild? I want to replace the puffy ACS I have now.

KiraX105
04-14-10, 17:04
I <3 M93B. My UBR and CTR are also pretty good :)

docsherm
04-14-10, 17:25
VLTOR Emod= :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-14-10, 19:08
STD m4 stock is fine.

Ruff Shod
04-14-10, 19:34
Im kinda nostalgic. I like the old CAR stock.

Probably get one of the Vltor's. They are similar.

rifleman2000
04-14-10, 19:42
Mil-spec... :p

opmike
04-14-10, 20:10
Mil-spec... :p

This.

I've tried a number of other stocks, and I guess I just can't see how the added cost is justified. I may look into a CTR or Vltor in the future, but that's the most I'd be willing to pay. My current one is more than serviceable.

fdxpilot
04-14-10, 20:17
Magpul ACS

I'm trying out an ACS on the lower for my 6.8 hunting rifle. So far, I really like it. My other stocks are a Magpul MOE and an LMT GenII M4.

Dist. Expert 26
04-14-10, 20:18
I put a UBR on my 16in gun, and I couldn't be happier with it. Totally solid construction, great cheek weld, and easy adjustments. It even balances out the rail and heavy barrel.

TehLlama
04-14-10, 22:14
My wife loves her EMOD. I'd put it on par with the ACS, which I love.
The UBR is my favorite to use with a magnified optic - I usually end up putting my UBR lower with my heaviest uppers.

My Lightweight, and SBR work very will with my CTR and ACS.

I think if you only had one lower, and it would be used with a long and/or heavy upper, UBR.
For lightweight or SBR stuff, ACS, EMOD, IMOD, and SOPMOD are all great.

I can't pick a favorite. The EMOD is the most flexible, and very affordable. The UBR is the heaviest and most expensive, but arguably best. The MOE and CTR are very affordable, and the best direct replacements of stock stocks.

I have all but the SOPMOD right now, and it's hard to think of an application where one wouldn't be perfect.

Biggy
04-14-10, 22:22
Vltor IMOD

Kilryth
04-15-10, 09:24
Well, I went to the gun store to compare several stocks installed on their guns. Here are my thoughts, as best as I can recall. There may be some slight inaccuracies:

Weight - Lightest to Heaviest: CTR, EMOD & SOPMOD, ACS, UBR. CTR was substantially light, and UBR was 3x heavier than it due to its metal construction. The others were in the middle somewhere. UBR felt too heavy unless mounted with a heavy or long upper for balance.

Features - Least to Most: CTR, SOPMOD, EMOD, ACS, UBR. Magpul produced some quality-constructed extra features, and EMOD wasn't too far behind. SOPMOD had battery tubes but the stock has to be removed to access them.

Cheekweld - Smallest to Largest area: CTR (virtually none), UBR & ACS, EMOD & SOPMOD. It amazed me at how much better the guns felt with a good fitting cheekweld. EMOD and SOPMOD's cheekwelds were pretty close and equally comfortable. They were large and very noticeable. The CTR had little/no cheekweld and the UBR/ACS had a medium sized one.

Buttpad fit & comfort - This differs for everyone, but I will review which fit me and the gunsalesman (both of us are between 6' and 6'5 and fairly thin). Least to most comfortable fit: CTR/ACS/UBR, EMOD/SOPMOD. This is what surprised me the most. The EMOD & SOPMOD melted into my shoulder like butter! Combined with the large cheekweld, it was not going anywhere! I've never felt such a stable stock! The two really felt the same

Optics - All of them work fine with optics, but the EMOD and SOPMOD's comfort & cheekweld really made it a pleasure to look through both the iron sights and short optical scope. I didn't catch the name of the optics.

For stable and comfortable use of a stock, the SOPMOD and EMOD fit me like no other! I will be buying one of these because that's what I want them for. The main differences between the two are apperance, modular features, quality of construction, and price.

If the Magpul models fit you better than the SOPMOD and EMOD and you don't care about the cheekweld, there's really no choice out there for you. These stocks are very nice.

JEHalloranIV
04-15-10, 13:14
CTR...tried LMT and Magpul ACS...kept coming back to the CTR

BushmasterFanBoy
04-15-10, 13:36
UBR for sheer counter-balance. Anymore, most guns are too front heavy too shoot 1-handed. The fixed cheekweld is nice, but not great for weird positions, like supine, that are kinda "oh snap, I'm here, now what?" By contrast, its easier to get a normal nose-to-charging handle cheekweld comfortably with the LOP extended.

Victory
04-15-10, 14:17
The Magpul UBR is a bit heavy, the CTR a bit light....I find the EMod to be...just right.

I do have all three, though. Use them on different builds.

-Vic

Kilryth
04-15-10, 14:38
I still don't know if I like the SOPMOD or EMOD better. They both have tiny trade-offs it seems. I'm concerned with the EMOD's durability. Is it as strong of material as the SOPMOD? If so, is the structure of it supported as well? I'm a bit afraid of those modular cheekweld pieces breaking off.
The butterfly stock extender seemed a bit flimsy, particularly since it was easy to torque to one side or the other. I would love to be able to say 'durability is just as good as magpul or sopmod' but I can't at this point in time.

FlyAndFight
04-15-10, 15:42
Vltor E-mod.

Super comfortable and balancing.

crazymoose
04-15-10, 19:34
I still don't know if I like the SOPMOD or EMOD better. They both have tiny trade-offs it seems. I'm concerned with the EMOD's durability. Is it as strong of material as the SOPMOD? If so, is the structure of it supported as well? I'm a bit afraid of those modular cheekweld pieces breaking off.
The butterfly stock extender seemed a bit flimsy, particularly since it was easy to torque to one side or the other. I would love to be able to say 'durability is just as good as magpul or sopmod' but I can't at this point in time.

It survived destructive testing that no other stock did. VLOTR engineers and builds their aftermarket AR parts to a level that no other manufacturer (except maybe KAC) does. When they performed a destructive test of their clamp-on sight tower/gas block, the torque being applied destroyed the upper before the tower moved.

Merle
04-15-10, 19:51
Where in the hell are people getting the IMod stock? I want one.

PrivateCitizen
04-15-10, 20:13
Where in the hell are people getting the IMod stock? I want one.

Gotta be in the inner circle maybe?

Kilryth
04-16-10, 08:43
There was an Engineering Memo sent out by LWRC that stated the results of their independant drop testing on Magpul CTR, LMT SOPMOD, M4 stock, and VLTOR EMOD. The stocks were mounted on 8.5 lb LWRC rifles, extended in the 3rd position of the buffer tube. The guns were dropped on concrete covered in 3/8" plywood. They were dropped from 1.7 meters high at 12, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 o'clock angles, with 12 being butt down.

For the gun to fail, it must be inoperable after testing. For it to pass, it must still be operable. Damage to the component was fine as long as the part was easily replaceable.

Here is the failure summary, as quoted from the memo:

"All buttstocks failed the testing first drop except for
the VLTOR EMOD stock. The VLTOR EMOD stock survived all drops
from all angles and remained completely functional. Examination after the
testing revealed 2 hairline cracks from the corners of the steel locking plate
hole in the polymer. The stock remains completely intact and functional" - LWRC Memo

If you want the full copy, contact LWRC or VLTOR. Magpul knows of this as well, as I've seen them post something about it on another forum. May want to try them also.

Luke_Y
04-16-10, 13:13
I'd be all over the EMOD if not for the whisker rippers :p Instead it's the SOPMOD, standard m4, or the UBR for me. May try the ACS someday.

Failure2Stop
04-16-10, 15:56
I really like the UBR on guns with 16" barrels and 9" or greater rails, especially if things are attached to the front-end.

I also like the ACS, though mine doesn't have a QD socket, something that I need to remedy.

The LMT SOPMOD stocks are good to go, but $200 for it stings when compared to similar stocks that sell for almost half the price.

I used to be a big fan of the CTR, and while it is a nice stock I don't really see a significant performance or balance change when compared to a stock M4 stock.

I don't have any time with the EMod or IMod, so I can't make a comparison.

ThirdWatcher
04-16-10, 16:32
I like the Magpul CTR on my 16" bbl carbines (although I run the factory collapsible stock on my Colt 6450 & 6520 (KISS) carbines.

For my 20" bbl rifles, I prefer the fixed stock that came with them.

uspopo
04-16-10, 19:20
I love the CTR and ACS stocks on my carbines. The new Troy fixed stubby stock that looks like a smoothed out ACS is interesting...;)

dbrowne1
04-16-10, 19:58
LMT SOPMOD

Magpul's various offerings are good as well, but I have always been able to get the best and most consistent cheek weld with the SOPMOD.

Seagrave7
04-17-10, 10:54
LMT SOPMOD. As soon as I tried it out at Shot Show I knew this was the stock for me. It just feels very comfortable for my cheek weld. I agree with other posters, it all depends on what feels best for you. You have to try a few to know which one works best for you.

michschi
04-17-10, 12:53
Magpul ACS!

OPPFOR
04-17-10, 13:03
I'm a fan of the SOPMOD as well.

d90king
04-17-10, 13:37
SOPMOD or EMOD with a slight edge to the SOPMOD...

SteveL
04-17-10, 17:29
My previous M4 style AR had a Vltor Clubfoot telescoping modstock on it and I was very happy with it.

RSix
04-17-10, 17:58
Magpul CTR with an extention pad for my Colt 6920 is just about perfect.

Plato
04-21-10, 18:59
I really love the Magpul stocks. The UBR feels so good but it is very heavy. The CTR is ultra light and is probably the best in terms of simplicity. The ACS, however, is probably my favorite.

ALCOAR
04-21-10, 19:13
The Heaviest Stock on Earth....:D
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mxo7k3.jpg

CoryCop25
04-21-10, 19:20
I have CTR stocks on 3 of my rifles. I am contemplating an ACS for my current build, a 6.8 with a 16in WOA barrel. I like thin profiles so its kinda opposite what I normally build. I also think that the UBR looks awesome on a 10.3 inch gun. I don't know how effective it is but it sure looks pritty!

Sparky5019
04-21-10, 19:25
I use CTRs with Enhanced Butt Pads...I do like the UBR for an SBR...if I could only get an ASAP Plate in front of it!!! Hmmm!

Sparky

Boss Hogg
04-21-10, 19:31
Vltor iMod.

LMT SOPMOD if cost is no object.

Dave_M
04-21-10, 20:23
ACE SOCOM

BT556
04-21-10, 20:28
Magpul CTR is my fav that i own but i have been looking at some vltors for my bushy

TehLlama
04-22-10, 03:27
I use CTRs with Enhanced Butt Pads...I do like the UBR for an SBR...if I could only get an ASAP Plate in front of it!!! Hmmm!

Sparky

Drake has eluded to something of that sort being in the works - ASAP attachment for UBRs.

Naturally, it came with the trademark "AFNWANRAIOPTMOMNBITW.WAALFNWTIOEPAWTBONI.Thanks" caveat.

thunderinms
04-22-10, 07:36
MAGPUL CTR, Black

I love it. The only disadvantage I see is no battery storage, but that is what pant packets are for, right? :D

HeavyDuty
04-22-10, 07:37
Drake has eluded to something of that sort being in the works - ASAP attachment for UBRs.

Naturally, it came with the trademark "AFNWANRAIOPTMOMNBITW.WAALFNWTIOEPAWTBONI.Thanks" caveat.

Damn. Of course I find this out *after* I drop the coin for a KAC locking QD ballcock so I can sling up without using a floppy QD loop.

xtremejc
04-22-10, 07:45
I prefer the UBR !

Skunkworks
04-22-10, 09:52
CTR for me

Hapainwa
04-22-10, 09:57
After much fretting over the price, I finally pulled on a Crane. It's expensive, but bombproof. I love the cheek weld, and I think I'll seriously look at the Veltor line for my fungun.

Col_Crocs
04-22-10, 10:11
CTR For me. Ive never been one to want storage, a wider cheek weld, a longer stock nor a heavier one to balance a heavier from (atleast based on all the configs Ive had.), hence, I was pretty content with the standard M4 stock. The CTR worked around that and simply added some much needed (IMHO) improvements.

crusader4x
04-22-10, 12:42
ACS then Emod although I'm certain they would switch places if the Emod had a friction lock like the ACS does.

Moose-Knuckle
04-22-10, 13:48
Most after market stocks these days are commical to say the least. I prefer the Magpul CTR for the simple fact it as the friction lock and it's pretty KISS.

The first aftermarket stock I bought for my Colt was a Vltor clubfoot modstock. One thing I cannot stand on an AR is to have a $100+ stock rattling around on my extension tube.

Biggy
04-22-10, 14:12
1. Vltor IMOD

pacrimguru
04-23-10, 02:37
i've been through a lot of stocks and i have to say that in the end, LMT's SOPMOD has become my go to stock. it features a great cheek weld, smooth no snag design, solid fitment and construction, battery compartments, rubber buttpad, and QD ambi-sling mounts. weight wise, it's light enough for a light weight carbine build but heavy enough to go on a front heavy long rifle.

a close second is VLTOR's EMOD but it's a tad too big imo. i haven't seen it in person yet, but think the IMOD is going to be great.

Paraclete comes
04-23-10, 12:20
I have VLTOR, mil-spec, magpull, but nothing is more solid or provides better check weld than the LMT SOPMOD! I fricken love that thing, my team is coming back from the stan very soon. Which means i can pull mine off of my work rifle soon, cant wait!

LMT stuff just seems bomb proof. Well actually I did get blown up on a mission and evaced home. My KAC can was blown off, my rifle barrel bent, mag blown out. Mag still runs by the way it was a PMAG, not sure if scope Trijicon survived. But the sopmod just kept on charging, all tubes stayed closed etc.

the m4 was a colt, all I had left was my 1911 colt commander! danm fine handgun!

USMC03
04-23-10, 12:35
Some of my experiences:

http://03designgroup.com/photo/ar15-buttstock-considerations/icon-ar15-buttstock-considerations.jpg
03designgroup | AR15 Buttstock Considerations http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations)

Cameron
04-23-10, 12:48
Magpul UBR fits and balances all three.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2733/4324842129_83654d55f4.jpg

Veracity
04-23-10, 15:18
A1 stock for both of those lengths.

Yes, I too am an A1 shooter.

tommyrott
04-23-10, 17:42
i went with the A1 on my 16" carbine for the following reasons,
1) always the right length for me